New Releases

Started by Brian, March 12, 2009, 12:26:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ritter

A bit of a curiosity:

Georg Solti's only appearance in Glyndebourne, with some well-known names (Jurinac, Simoneau), others that may surprise in their respective roles (Margaret Harshaw as Anna, Anny Schlemm--whom I saw 25 years later in Bayreuth singing Mar in the Dutchman--as Zerlina), and a singer I had never even heard of, James Pease, as the Don.

The Telegraph listed this as one of the 10 best Mozart productions ever at Glyndebourne.

king ubu

Hadn't been aware of this - out already:

[asin]B071G9ZBYN[/asin]

I've already got the Mozart with Paumgartner and Haskil, but I think there's still enough interesting stuff in there ... and it's just €37 at aIT, after all. According to presto's entry (with line-ups provided), it's a 14-disc set.
Es wollt ein meydlein grasen gan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Und do die roten röslein stan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich mehr, du hast dein ehr.
Kannstu nit, ich wills dich lern.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

http://ubus-notizen.blogspot.ch/

Que

Quote from: king ubu on July 21, 2017, 08:30:40 AM
Hadn't been aware of this - out already:

[asin]B071G9ZBYN[/asin]

I've already got the Mozart with Paumgartner and Haskil, but I think there's still enough interesting stuff in there ... and it's just €37 at aIT, after all. According to presto's entry (with line-ups provided), it's a 14-disc set.

FINALLY!!  :)

I missed it as well, but please sign me up.

One of the great...and I'm picky....  8)

Q

king ubu

Not sure if this has been mentioned before ... not buying the whole series (only have the Bruckner so far), but this goes onto the shopping list:

[asin]B073LZ9H9L[/asin]
amazon promo blurb: This is the most comprehensive Mahler Edition featuring Michael Gielen, who celebrated his 90th birthday on 20 July 2017. It includes a DVD that features newly released footage of Michael Gielen conducting Mahlers Symphony No. 9, and the release also includes a recording of Michael Gielen directing Rückert-Lieder and Lieder eines fahrenden Gesellen.
Es wollt ein meydlein grasen gan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Und do die roten röslein stan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich mehr, du hast dein ehr.
Kannstu nit, ich wills dich lern.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

http://ubus-notizen.blogspot.ch/

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

kishnevi

Quote from: king ubu on July 23, 2017, 11:23:24 PM
Not sure if this has been mentioned before ... not buying the whole series (only have the Bruckner so far), but this goes onto the shopping list:

[asin]B073LZ9H9L[/asin]
amazon promo blurb: This is the most comprehensive Mahler Edition featuring Michael Gielen, who celebrated his 90th birthday on 20 July 2017. It includes a DVD that features newly released footage of Michael Gielen conducting Mahlers Symphony No. 9, and the release also includes a recording of Michael Gielen directing Rückert-Lieder and Lieder eines fahrenden Gesellen.

The Amazon listing doesn't give a back cover, so I can't tell if it contains the DLvdE that was released a few years back, with Siegfried Jerusalem as the tenor, which is possibly the oddest recording of Mahler ever produced.  The alto movements (Cornelia Kallisch, described as mezzosoprano) were recorded ten years after the tenor movements.

kishnevi

Have not seen these posted before.  Todd probably knows about the Dalberto, but if he posted it I missed it.

Mandryka

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

amw

Contemporary music releases:

Richard Craig plays music by Evan Johnson, Esaias Järnegard, Fabrice Fitch, Richard Barrett, John Croft & Brice Pauset.

Sarah Maria Sun sings music by the composers floating over her head (the Lachenmann work is over 25 minutes, which could be interesting, or not). I'm assuming the lizard is Jan Philip Schulze.

Elision plays Aaron Cassidy's The wreck of former boundaries and Liza Lim's How Forests Think, both written for the ensemble's 30th anniversary.

ritter

Our annual appointment with Martha Argerich & friends is a bit later than usual this year. For release in early September:

[asin]B0724Z2QWY[/asin]

Contents listing (as per Presto Classical):

Bach, J S: Sonata for Violin & Harpsichord No. 4 in C minor, BWV1017 -Tedi Papavrami (violin), Martha Argerich (piano)

Beethoven: Fantasia for Piano, Chorus and Orchestra in C minor, Op. 80 - Martha Argerich (piano)
Orchestra e Coro della Svizzera italiana, Diego Fasolis

Berg: Chamber Concerto for Piano and Violin with 13 Wind Instruments - Nicholas Angelich (piano), Renaud Capuçon, (violin)

Brahms: Horn Trio in E flat major, Op. 40 - Nicholas Angelich (piano), Renaud Capuçon (violin) David Guerrier (horn)

Busoni: Violin Concerto, Op. 35a - Renaud Capuçon (violin), Orchestra della Svizzera Italiana, Alexander Vedernikov

Debussy: Prélude à l'après-midi d'un faune - Stephen Kovacevich (piano) Martha Argerich (piano)

Falla: Danses Espagnoles No. 1 & 2 (from La Vida Breve) - Sergio Tiempo (piano), Karin Lechner (piano)

Mozart: Sonata for 2 pianos in D major, K448 - Martha Argerich (piano), Sergey Babayan (piano)

Nisinman: Hombre Tango - Ensemble ReEncuentros

Ravel: Gaspard de la Nuit - Martha Argerich (piano) & Piano Concerto in G major (no info on who performs)

Seems very appealing to me.  :)

Mandryka

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on July 24, 2017, 11:57:56 AM
Have not seen these posted before.  Todd probably knows about the Dalberto, but if he posted it I missed it.

Obviously there's something going on in Hyperion vis a vis Feldman, first Osborne and now Hamelin. I wonder if Feldman sells.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

JCBuckley

Quote from: ritter on July 27, 2017, 12:13:17 AM
Piano Concerto in G major (no info on who performs)

It's Martha with the Orchestra della Svizzera italiana, conducted by Vedernikov. I got the info from http://marthargerich.blogspot.co.uk/, which also reports that her Lugano festival is now defunct, having failed to find a sponsor.

ritter

Quote from: JCBuckley on July 27, 2017, 02:35:59 AM
It's Martha with the Orchestra della Svizzera italiana, conducted by Vedernikov. I got the info from http://marthargerich.blogspot.co.uk/, which also reports that her Lugano festival is now defunct, having failed to find a sponsor.
Sad news...It was a true feast of great music making!  :(

THREAD DUTY:

The note-complete Les Troyens under John Nelson now has a cover, and is announced by Presto Classical for November 24th:

Drosera

Stuff I don't think has been mentioned yet:

A box of live Callas:
[asin]B072MPKSJL[/asin]

Another big box of Lenny:

[asin]B072M4GVVB[/asin]

Paul_Thomas

For the Glenn Gould maniac in every family...

The Goldberg Variations - The Complete 1955 Recording Sessions

Yes thats right the complete recording sessions from GG's first studio Goldbergs

Alongside an interview, vinyl, book, photos and other paraphernalia

http://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/r/Sony/88843014882

Paul_Thomas

North Star

Last installment of Hyperion's Richard Strauss song series, including 4 Last Songs with piano accompaniment.
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Todd

[asin]B07487LS9F[/asin]

Trifonov alone would be fine.  Trifonov and Pletnev is better yet.  Trifonov, Pletnev, and Babayan on one release: Sign me up.

[asin]B073RX8SRC[/asin]

[asin]B0743WK32K[/asin]

[asin]B073ZWKKGM[/asin]

I believe this makes recording number three.

[asin]B073ZTZ1N2[/asin]

If for some reason you want only Perahia's analog recordings, here's your chance.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Brian

SEPTEMBER

This from Kotaro Fukuma will be my most sought-after disc of the month:

Brian

Quote from: Todd on July 28, 2017, 05:23:08 PM
[asin]B07487LS9F[/asin]

Trifonov alone would be fine.  Trifonov and Pletnev is better yet.  Trifonov, Pletnev, and Babayan on one release: Sign me up.
I'll be in on this one for CD3. The variations are fun but only a really distinctive artist can make the concertos interesting for me...of course, this is Trifonov and Pletnev we're talking about...