New Releases

Started by Brian, March 12, 2009, 12:26:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

André

Quote from: Maestro267 on May 22, 2018, 11:28:10 AM
Dude...wow! How many Keyboard Sonatas did that bloke Soler write?!

Over 200. The exact count is murky. A bunch of them were discovered in 2011, so who knows what lurks in attics, drawers, chests and private collections ?

aligreto

Quote from: André on May 22, 2018, 01:49:52 PM
Over 200. The exact count is murky. A bunch of them were discovered in 2011, so who knows what lurks in attics, drawers, chests and private collections ?

And worthy of attention if I may add.

André

Absolutely. Although they can't really be compared, I actually prefer Soler for his less abstract, more dancing and earthy manner. But we're talking giants here...

Brian

Quote from: André on May 22, 2018, 02:02:38 PM
Absolutely. Although they can't really be compared, I actually prefer Soler for his less abstract, more dancing and earthy manner. But we're talking giants here...
Do you mean compared with Scarlatti?

I agree that Soler is very worthy of attention. And this Naxos series, like their Scarlatti series, is a way of showcasing interesting young prizewinners. A previous volume with Mateusz Borowiak was very, very well played and just $5.88 now after subtracting VAT at MDT. I might just buy a physical copy.

amw

Beethoven/Trio Goya and Hindemith/Banse were already on my purchase list but I'll definitely at least stream the Brahms/Venzago and Bennett/Wilson (and maybe the Quartetto di Cremona Beethoven being in a box now will be cheap enough to get a copy of).

Omicron9

Excellent.  Looking forward to this one.

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 20, 2018, 10:45:34 AM
Coming in July:

"Signature-line free since 2017!"

Mr. Minnow

Due in June:

Moonfish

Scribendum is releasing a megaset of Tatiana Nikolayeva's recordings soon.  Amazon.de, FR and UK state May 18, 2018 as a release date, but it isn't available until June 3.

https://www.amazon.de/Art-Tatiana-Nikolayeva/dp/B07BBT6FMY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1527126315&sr=8-1&keywords=B07BBT6FMY

The Art of Tatiana Nikolayeva

"The most comprehensive tribute to the art of Tatiana Nikolayeva yet; it contains recordings over her entire career, spanning from 1950 to 1991. Released to commemorate the 25th anniversary of her sudden death in 1993. This set contains two versions of the 24 Preludes and Fugues which were written especially for her and which she premiered upon Shostakovichs personal request. A unique opportunity to rediscover Nikolayevas musical talent, deep humility and infinite love of music  In Tatiana Nikolayevas words: The basic purpose of music is to help people in their life. The art of music, unlike any other form of art, can help human beings to cope with the tragic losses in life, and bring happiness into their life."

Johann Sebastian Bach
English Suites No.1 & No.4 (1965/1984)
French Suites (Nos.1-6) (1965/1984)
Toccata & Fugue in D minor, Fugue in G minor
Chorales BWV 645, BWV 659 & BWV 639
Cantata 147, Chaconne in D minor, Siciliano in 973G minor (1980)
The Well-Tempered Clavier, Books I & II (1971-)
Two- and Three-Part Inventions (Inventions & Sinfonias) (1977)
Italian Concerto (rec.: 1980 & 1982) (1980/1982)
Concertos for two, three & four Pianos and String Orchestra (1975)
(BWV 1060, BWV 1062, BWV 1064 & BWV 1065)
Concerto for Harpsichord and String Orchestra no.13 in A major,
No.4, BWV 1055 (rec.: 1958 & 1983) (1958/1983)
Goldberg Variations, BWV 988 (1979)
Die Kunst der Fuge, BWV 1080 (1967)
The Well-Tempered Clavier:
(Prelude and Fugue No.2, No. 3, No.19 & No.20) (1953)
Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart
Concerto for Piano and Orchestra No.22, K.482 (1956)
Concerto for two Pianos and Orchestra, K.365 (K.316a)
Concerto for three Pianos and Orchestra, K.242 "London" (1986)
Frédéric Chopin
Introduction and Variations on "Je vends des scapulaires" (1956)
Felix Mendelssohn Bartholdy
Capriccio brillante, Op.22 (1958)
Tatyana Petrovna Nikolayeva
Three Concert Etudes, Op.13 (1954)
Sergei Sergeyevich Prokofiev
Sonata No.8 in B flat major, Prélude in C major Op.12 "Harp" (1963)
Peter and the Wolf, March from The Love for Three Oranges (1964/1991)
Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky
Piano Concerto No.2, Concert Fantasy in G minor Op.56 (1950-1951)
Grande Sonata, Valse in A flat major, Valse à cinq temps (Vivace) (1983)
Piano Concerto No.1 in B flat minor (1951)
Sergei Vasilyevich Rachmaninov
Concerto for Piano and Orchestra No.2 (1959)
Robert Schumann
Intermezzi Op.4, Kinderszenen, Arabeske, Einfach from Op.28
Intermezzo from Op.26, Frühlingsnacht from Liederkreis
Variations on an Original Theme in E flat major, Three Romances (1991)
Dmitri Dmitriyevich Shostakovich
24 Preludes and Fugues Op.87 (1987)
24 Preludes and Fugues Op.87 (1962)
Béla Viktor János Bartók
Concerto for Piano and Orchestra No.3 (1956)
Alexander Porfiryevich Borodin
Petite Suite, Scherzo in A flat major (1991)
Anatoly Konstantinovich Lyadov
Variations on a Polish Folk Theme, Barcarolle in F sharp (1980)
Nikolai Karlovich Medtner
Piano Concerto No.1 in C minor (1991)
Evgeny Kirillovich Golubev
Concerto for Piano and Orchestra No.3, Sonata No.4 in F minor (1974-1976)
Ludwig van Beethoven
The Complete Piano Sonatas (Nos.1-32) (1984)
33 Variations on a waltz by Anton Diabelli (1979)

Tatiana Nikolayeva, Mikhail Petukhov, Maria Evseeva, Sergei Senkov, Eliso Virsaladze & Nikolai Lugansky, pianos
The Lithuanian Chamber Orchestra, Dir. Saulius Sondeckis
USSR State Symphony Orchestra, Dir. Nikolai Anosov, Dir. Kirill Kondrashin
USSR State Academic Symphony Orchestra, Dir. Evgeny Svetlanov
Wiener Philharmoniker, Dir. Carl Schuricht
Gewandhausorchester Leipzig, Dir. Kurt Masur
Czech Philharmonic Orchestra, Dir. Konstantin Ivanov
The Great Symphony Orchestra of the All-Union Radio, Dir. Nikolai Anosov

http://www.scribendumrecordings.com/our-shop/4583959841/sc810-37cd---the-art-of-tatiana-nikolayeva/11296544
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

Moonfish

Not sure if this has been mentioned previously..

Any fans of Michala Petri?

Michala Petri: The Complete RCA Album Collection

US - June 22, 2018

https://smile.amazon.com/Michala-Petri-Complete-Album-Collection/dp/B079VRTWJS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1527202495&sr=8-1&keywords=michala+petri

"The renaissance of the recorder in the 20th century was a significant chapter in the instruments history. Its beautiful Baroque repertoire was rediscovered just as a new generation of composers began exploring its capabilities. Danish recorder virtuoso Michala Petri has long been at the forefront of this revival. She has made Baroque sonatas and concertos her own, premiered exciting new works and arrangements, and forged some groundbreaking partnerships. Her complete recordings for RCA, released between 1987 and 2001, are now reissued in a complete release from Sony Classical. Perhaps her most eye-catching collaboration has been with jazz legend Keith Jarrett, who played harspichord on two albums with Petri in the early 1990s. Gramophone noted the marvelous freedom of Petris playing on the Handel album and the close rapport the performers share, with no need of support from a continuo instrument. But her most enduring creative partnership has been with her husband, the guitarist and lutenist Lars Hannibal. The couple has performed a wide range of music together, from Baroque sonatas to their own innovative arrangements of music by composers as diverse as Schubert, Rachmaninoff and Satie. Three period-spanning albums of Petri-Hannibal collaborations are included in this set. Contemporary music makes a notable appearance on The Modern Recorder, performed by the Petri Trio, as well as Moonchilds Dream, with the English Chamber Orchestra and conductor Okko Kamu a beauty of an album (Classical.net) that contains five world premiere recordings from composers including Thomas Koppell, Vagn Holmboe and Malcolm Arnold. Other albums also highlight Petri's affinity with the music of Scandinavia: Grieg is the focus of an entire album, while another includes music by the likes of Alfvén and Nielsen. Of course, the Baroque repertoire is not neglected. An early Petri Trio album contains a selection of virtuoso work, while Telemann, Albinoni and Vivaldi are well represented elsewhere. In pride of place is her landmark recording of The Four Seasons in her own transcription: an account of a familiar work that, according to Gramophone, could hardly be more distinctive."

"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

Baron Scarpia

Quote from: Moonfish on May 24, 2018, 03:00:15 PM
Not sure if this has been mentioned previously..

Any fans of Michala Petri?

Recorder?  ???

Sure fire CDCDCD killer.

Moonfish

Quote from: Baron Scarpia on May 24, 2018, 03:40:52 PM
Recorder?  ???

Sure fire CDCDCD killer.

I love the recorder!!!!   Besides what would the Baroque be without recorders? Eh?
It is especially a blast when playing it by a river while backpacking (although I don't (by far) sound as good as Petri)!

This is Michala Petri and Lars Hannibal performing together in the recorder realm of the Baroque!
Ah, the recorder!!!!  :P

https://www.youtube.com/v/pFV-zW-dn9g&list=RDGwI_nhcRVKU&index=4
Anna Lappé

Mandryka

Quote from: Mr. Minnow on May 23, 2018, 10:22:18 AM
Due in June:

There's a video on YouTube about the making of this. It makes you see how creative early music performers have to be!
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Mookalafalas

a new Abbado box-- presumably another case of repackaging--but with original sleeve art!

[asin]B07CXGS73H[/asin]
It's all good...

Moonfish

Quote from: Mookalafalas on May 24, 2018, 11:39:27 PM
a new Abbado box-- presumably another case of repackaging--but with original sleeve art!

[asin]B07CXGS73H[/asin]

Abbado's recordings certainly are being reshuffled on an almost constant basis.  Crazy! I found some more info at Presto Classical:

https://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/classical/products/8443180--claudio-abbado-berlin-philharmoniker-the-complete-recordings-on-deutsche-grammophon

Anna Lappé

Madiel

Quote from: Baron Scarpia on May 24, 2018, 03:40:52 PM
Recorder?  ???

Sure fire CDCDCD killer.

If you're going to get recorder, Michala Petri is absolutely the way to get it.

She basically revived the repertoire. Those albums include a number of pieces specifically composed for her (including some Holmboe, which is one reason I'm aware of it).
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Todd

Curiously spendy for over half century old recordings.

Also, a new Emanuel Ax complete RCA recordings box is on the way.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

amw

Quote from: Todd on May 25, 2018, 06:57:57 AM

[...]
Also, a new Emanuel Ax complete RCA recordings box is on the way.
These are probably gonna be good

Moonfish

Anna Lappé

Mr. Minnow

Quote from: Mandryka on May 24, 2018, 10:36:26 PM
There's a video on YouTube about the making of this. It makes you see how creative early music performers have to be!

Thanks, I just watched that video - fascinating stuff! As you say, it shows the level of creativity required for music this early, and indeed the importance of having someone of Bagby's calibre at the helm. Should be a great disc. 

Que

Quote from: Moonfish on May 25, 2018, 04:01:49 PM
Hmm, a compilation of older recordings of Tchaikovsky's operas (as well as some fragments/incidental music) from Profil/Hanssler
June 15, 2018 - UK

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tchaikovsky-Complete-Operas-Various-PH17053/dp/B07BX51QNZ/ref=sr_1_57?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1527292690&sr=1-57&refinements=p_n_feature_five_browse-bin%3A382534011

[img WIDTH=400 height=400]https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/71m6R5epW2L._SL1200_.jpg[/img][img WIDTH=400 height=400]https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/81yi4EoevyL._SL1200_.jpg[/img]

Looks interesting... :)

I suspect these to come from the Melodiya catalogue..... though this is not mentioned in the fine print on the back cover... Drasko:)

Hänssler seems to be reissuing more Melodiya material. I would be interested to know whether they source it directly from Melodiya, or transfer it from LP's since the recordings ran out of copyright (in Europe).

Q