New Releases

Started by Brian, March 12, 2009, 12:26:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mookalafalas

Quote from: Todd on May 27, 2018, 10:22:08 AM

It's the only correct way to read it.
::)
You list five elements in the box: Spanish music, Chopin, Schubert, Schumann, Scarlatti.
You say there are 4 elements that make the box worth buying: Chopin, Schubert, Schumann, Scarlatti, a list excluding the Spanish music, which is not merely left out, but separated from the others by the word "but," which creates contrasting (different) groups. Semantically, you are correct. There is only one way to read it.
  Certainly no one is dumb for thinking you probably meant what you said. Instead they gave you an opportunity to clarify your error. Apparently this is an admission are unable to make.

Sorry. I know this is the new releases thread. I just got a bit steamed :-[

It's all good...

Todd

Quote from: Mookalafalas on May 27, 2018, 04:09:46 PMApparently this is an admission are unable to make.

Breathe, type, breathe, use spell and grammar check, breathe.  Then post.  Maybe.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Mirror Image

Quote from: Todd on May 27, 2018, 10:22:08 AM

It's the only correct way to read it.

Ummm...no. That's not what happened. What happened was pretty simple: you felt the need to make a comment that went beyond being civil and this caused a disruption. You should apologize to 71 dB.

Mookalafalas

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 27, 2018, 04:41:39 PM
You should apologize to 71 dB.
::) That would send more shockwaves through GMG than the server going down...
It's all good...

Alek Hidell

Quote from: Todd on May 25, 2018, 06:57:57 AM

Looking forward to when he and Lang Lang record a duo album. :P
"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist." - Hélder Pessoa Câmara

Alek Hidell

I took Todd's comment the way a few others did (and the way he meant it): that the presence of the Spanish music goes without saying, since it's what Ms. de Larrocha is best known for, not that it's of less value.

But I knew that's what Todd meant because I've been reading his posts for a long time and I know he values that music just like he does the other. For someone perhaps less familiar, yes, it could have been construed the other way.

Anyway, can we move on now? I'd like to talk about that forthcoming Niu Niu/Lang Lang collaboration. ;D Not really.

Edit: Hm, the post above this one (to which I was sort of responding) seems to have been deleted. Move along, citizens.
"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist." - Hélder Pessoa Câmara

Madiel

Quote from: Moonfish on May 27, 2018, 08:50:21 AM

This is by far the best contribution to the recent discussion.  ;D
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

ComposerOfAvantGarde

Moonfish's posts are always a delight tbh, maybe I have a forum-crush :laugh:

Moonfish

Quote from: jessop on May 28, 2018, 06:52:29 AM
Moonfish's posts are always a delight tbh, maybe I have a forum-crush :laugh:

Well, thank you, Jessop! I think!  8) :D :D :D
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

Mirror Image

Quote from: Moonfish on May 28, 2018, 09:59:14 AM
Well, thank you, Jessop! I think!  8) :D :D :D

Watch your back --- that's all I'll say. :P ;D

Moonfish

"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

Holden

Quote from: Alek Hidell on May 27, 2018, 07:50:13 PM
Looking forward to when he and Lang Lang record a duo album. :P

Niu Niu - will he be same old same old?
Cheers

Holden

André

Yannick Nézet-Séguin and the Philadelphia Orchestra will be recording the Rachmaninoff symphonies and concertos with Daniil Trifonov, as well as Mahler's symphony no 8 and Stravinsky ballets.

YNS will also commit to disc more Mozart operas with the Chamber Orchestra of Europe as well as Carmen with the Met. All on DGG, with which YNS has signed an exclusive contract.

Mandryka

Lydia Maria Blank plays Claudio Merulo.

https://lydiamariablank.jimdo.com/english/cd-s/

My first impressions are positive. There's a fabulous, tender ricercar . . .  It is on Qobuz.

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Alek Hidell

betterthanfine

Quote from: André on May 30, 2018, 06:21:57 PM
Yannick Nézet-Séguin and the Philadelphia Orchestra will be recording the Rachmaninoff symphonies and concertos with Daniil Trifonov, as well as Mahler's symphony no 8 and Stravinsky ballets.

YNS will also commit to disc more Mozart operas with the Chamber Orchestra of Europe as well as Carmen with the Met. All on DGG, with which YNS has signed an exclusive contract.
Good stuff. Depending on the Carmen (Garanca? Rachvelishvili?), his could be a great recording. I've enjoyed his Mozart a lot, especially Don Giovanni and Entführung.

Karl Henning

Quote from: Alek Hidell on May 31, 2018, 05:50:52 PM
Quote"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist." - Hélder Pessoa Câmara

This is beautiful.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Brian

Get ready for a July release of the Seattle SO and Ludovic Morlot doing Boulez Notations and Berio Sinfonia with Roomful of Teeth!

Karl Henning

Quote from: Brian on June 01, 2018, 04:30:11 AM
Get ready for a July release of the Seattle SO and Ludovic Morlot doing Boulez Notations and Berio Sinfonia with Roomful of Teeth!

Quite a coup for the Roomful.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

André

Quote from: betterthanfine on June 01, 2018, 02:59:33 AM
Good stuff. Depending on the Carmen (Garanca? Rachvelishvili?), his could be a great recording. I've enjoyed his Mozart a lot, especially Don Giovanni and Entführung

Same here.

For Carmen, Garanča and Alagna are announced. I think it's quite late in the day for Alagna, but who knows?