New Releases

Started by Brian, March 12, 2009, 12:26:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

betterthanfine

Quote from: André on June 01, 2018, 08:42:54 AM
Same here.

For Carmen, Garanča and Alagna are announced. I think it's quite late in the day for Alagna, but who knows?

So it's basically a revival of this production?

[asin]B0079IJ0R0[/asin]

Garanca is always a treat. probably right about Alagna... I would've much preferred someone like Michael Spyres, or Joseph Calleja maybe. Or Kaufmann, but I think he's moved away from Don José.

Alek Hidell

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on June 01, 2018, 03:36:48 AM

This is beautiful.

Glad you like it, Karl. :) I'm very fond of it, too (obviously).
"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist." - Hélder Pessoa Câmara

Daverz

Don't think this set has been mentioned, Leonard Rose complete recordings:

[asin] B0791VZ983[/asin]

Oddly includes the Browning/Szell Barber Piano Concerto.

Mandryka

Frédérick Haas Hemsch 1751 WTC 2

From the booklet, these two points he makes aren't contradictory

QuoteThe second, later, volume is conceived as a whole in its own right and represents, I believe, the accomplishment of a concept to which the composer attached great importance.

QuoteThe order of publication is as arbitrary as the alphabetical order of a diction­ ary; practical for classification, but without any value in itself. It has not been established for recitals, which is a modern notion.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Moonfish

Leonard Bernstein Edition - The Vocal Works
from Sony Classical, August 17, 2018

56 cds

No content information or image (yet)

https://www.amazon.de/Leonard-Bernstein-Vocal-Works/dp/B07CRT9WMN

"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

Mr. Minnow

Mandryka

Quote from: Mr. Minnow on June 06, 2018, 04:51:41 PM
Due late July:

Have you heard the new Dufay from Gothic Voices? I haven't and I'm wondering whether to take a punt.

Mr. Minnow

Quote from: Mandryka on June 06, 2018, 11:17:03 PM
Have you heard the new Dufay from Gothic Voices? I haven't and I'm wondering whether to take a punt.

I've got it, but haven't played it yet - I have an absurd amount of discs that I've yet to get round to. That said, I've always found Gothic Voices very reliable and this one seems to be regarded as well up to their usual standard, so I would think it's a pretty safe bet if you like their previous releases. The main difference from their Hyperion days is apparently that this new one has considerably greater use of instruments.

There are samples and a brief review here:

https://www.allmusic.com/album/the-dufay-spectacle-mw0003168708

Slightly longer review here:

http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2018/May/Dufay_spectacle_CKD568.htm

premont

Quote from: Mr. Minnow on June 07, 2018, 03:58:00 AM
The main difference from their Hyperion days is apparently that this new one has considerably greater use of instruments.

The main difference is, that Christopher Page isn't the artistic leader any more. He probably still thinks, that instruments shouldn't be used in this repertoire.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Brian

Brand new label Byron Janis live is releasing exactly what it sounds like. First up, Haydn sonata 59, some Chopin (including two readings of the same waltz, one from manuscript and one from the published edition), and three original Janis tunes.

Moonfish

This one has possibly been mentioned previously. I wonder what type of reshuffling DG is doing this time around?

DG 120 - The Anniversary Edition
122 discs (CD+Blu-ray)
Sept. 21, 2018
~300 euros!!!!   :o

https://www.amazon.de/Dg-120-Anniversary-Ltd-Edt-Karajan/dp/B07C5M3FT3

"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

Moonfish

Quote from: Moonfish on June 03, 2018, 10:25:29 PM
Leonard Bernstein Edition - The Vocal Works
from Sony Classical, August 17, 2018

56 cds

No content information or image (yet)

https://www.amazon.de/Leonard-Bernstein-Vocal-Works/dp/B07CRT9WMN

A picture of the set!   :P
I wish the Bernstein boxes used actual art or original covers rather than an endless stream of shots of Bernstein himself. Sure - it is a tribute to a great conductor, but it is a little bit "too much".....

Anna Lappé

Todd

A must buy. 

Warner will also release a new Bertrand Chamayou disc.  Normally, I would be most excited.  Unfortunately, it's of Saint-Saens, so I'm not very excited.  Still, I will likely buy it.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

PerfectWagnerite

Quote from: Todd on June 09, 2018, 06:42:02 AM

A must buy. 

Warner will also release a new Bertrand Chamayou disc.  Normally, I would be most excited.  Unfortunately, it's of Saint-Saens, so I'm not very excited.  Still, I will likely buy it.
Yes I like him also. Unfortunately it is paired with Satie but hell I don't have to listen to the last couple of tracks do I?

Mandryka

Meno Van Delft and Guillermo Brachetta, J S Bach for two harpsichords.

premont

Quote from: Mandryka on June 10, 2018, 07:31:38 AM

Meno Van Delft and Guillermo Brachetta, J S Bach for two harpsichords.

Only BWV 1061a (and the Italian concerto probably with Brachetta). And a concerto by WF Bach and one by Graun.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Brian

More stuff coming in JULY

An extremely slow Alpine, 55 minutes, released with no coupling. I think only Wit/Naxos (56') is slower.

"This is the third album that 16-year-old Christoph Preiss presents on the international market, with two years interval between each release."
Bach - Chromatic Fantasia and Fugue
Beethoven - Waldstein but with the Andante favori inserted and the usual slow movement removed
Tchaikovsky - Grand Sonata in G Op. 37

André

The Wagner disc is interesting. A modern account of Liebesmahl der Apostel is a swell idea. Such gorgeous music...

SurprisedByBeauty

Quote from: André on June 10, 2018, 02:47:06 PM
The Wagner disc is interesting. A modern account of Liebesmahl der Apostel is a swell idea. Such gorgeous music...

Whil a modern account of that work is a swell idea, and even though this release doesn't specifically indicate it either front or back, this is a re-issue of the 2005 original recording.