New Releases

Started by Brian, March 12, 2009, 12:26:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Madiel (+ 1 Hidden) and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Wanderer

Quote from: SurprisedByBeauty on June 11, 2018, 12:03:05 AM

Whil a modern account of that work is a swell idea, and even though this release doesn't specifically indicate it either front or back, this is a re-issue of the 2005 original recording.

Thanks for the tip! And it is available for streaming.

André

Thanks for the info, Jens. 2005 is modern enough for me. I'd probably sample before ordering, though. I see that Bosch's timings are similar to Boulez, some 25% faster than on the IMP disc under Wyn Morris.

Karl Henning

Quote from: Brian on June 10, 2018, 02:43:31 PM
More stuff coming in JULY

An extremely slow Alpine, 55 minutes, released with no coupling. I think only Wit/Naxos (56') is slower.

"This is the third album that 16-year-old Christoph Preiss presents on the international market, with two years interval between each release."
Bach - Chromatic Fantasia and Fugue
Beethoven - Waldstein but with the Andante favori inserted and the usual slow movement removed
Tchaikovsky - Grand Sonata in G Op. 37

Jas Macmillan has entirely taken off, power to him.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Brian

Just noticed the Cedille label is releasing an album of songs with texts about, or taken from the writings of, Ruth Bader Ginsburg. It's a bit of a family affair, as RBG's son founded Cedille and produces all its albums, and his wife is the main featured composer and singer. Eagle eyed readers will have noticed RBG listed as a major donor in many Cedille albums over the years, although she modestly appears to have avoided sponsoring this one specifically.

Mookalafalas

It's all good...

The new erato

Not a pretty sight!

Paul_Thomas

Trifonov has recorded the Rachmaninov Concertos with Y N-S in Philadelphia

2 & 4 are released in October

amw

from the samples I am very much looking forward to this >.>

Mookalafalas

Quote from: Moonfish on June 08, 2018, 11:56:00 PM
A picture of the set!   :P
I wish the Bernstein boxes used actual art or original covers rather than an endless stream of shots of Bernstein himself. Sure - it is a tribute to a great conductor, but it is a little bit "too much".....

Very cheap from Amazon.de right now--especially after they take off the VAT. Got mine in the cart...
It's all good...

Moonfish

Quote from: Mookalafalas on June 16, 2018, 07:19:53 AM
Very cheap from Amazon.de right now--especially after they take off the VAT. Got mine in the cart...

*applauds*   >:D

"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

Mr. Minnow

Due out this week:

Brian

Get ready because it's time for AUGUST RELEASES

Note the Prokofiev is from 1997 live concerts.

Part 2 coming in just a minute

Brian

AUGUST PART DEUX

How is there a "contemporary Danish accordion music" recital where only one of the six pieces has never been recorded before? Huh.

"This album is a collection of false attributions of eighteenth century music, including works attributed to Vivaldi, Bach, Handel, and more."

Karl Henning

I'm certainly interested in the piano music of both Antheil (Trenton boy – ain't that a shade surreal?) and Persichetti.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

Quote from: Brian on June 20, 2018, 04:15:55 AM

How is there a "contemporary Danish accordion music" recital where only one of the six pieces has never been recorded before? Huh.

But that's the good thing.  The great majority of even that sliver of contemporary music which sees a recording, is recorded only once;  and then it gets buried beneath the 700th recording of the Goldbergs.  (Touches upon one of the themes of Julian's journal entry of Monday.)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Brian on June 20, 2018, 04:08:15 AM

Note the Prokofiev is from 1997 live concerts.

That's a great program.

amw

GioCar

Mandryka

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Madiel

Quote from: Brian on June 20, 2018, 04:15:55 AM

I think the bigger question is: how do they think they can tie the entire album to H.C. Andersen on the strength of one piece?

Especially when there's a piece called "Jabberwocky", and I'm pretty damn sure H.C. Andersen is not the person who wrote Jabberwocky.

Also, I'm slightly disgusted that a recital of contemporary Danish accordion music doesn't include what is basically the only accordion piece I know and love, which just happens to be both contemporary and Danish.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!