Ghost of Baron Scarpia

Quote from: Toccata&Fugue on September 18, 2018, 04:31:11 PM
Ooh, this looks promising!

Caption: "Is that bird poop on my violin?"

Mandryka

End October release.

I'm very much enjoying Gottfried von der Goltz's new recording.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

akebergv

This will also be part of the upcoming Bach333.

Roasted Swan

Quote from: akebergv on September 18, 2018, 09:30:40 PM
This will also be part of the upcoming Bach333.

Whatever the musical value of this disc - a pretty dumb cover pic..... subtitled "and then I woke up and there I was ..... in a forest ..... holding a violin..... I have NO idea why I'm here"

relm1

Quote from: Roasted Swan on September 18, 2018, 11:42:09 PM
Whatever the musical value of this disc - a pretty dumb cover pic..... subtitled "and then I woke up and there I was ..... in a forest ..... holding a violin..... I have NO idea why I'm here"

What is this one subtitled?

"and then I realized I was underwater...in an evening gown...about to drown...but my violin sounds better underwater.  I must resist the urge to breathe and play my violin instead.  I have NO idea why I'm here"?

71 dB

Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

André

Quote from: 71 dB on September 20, 2018, 01:13:57 AM
Excellent cover art!  0:)

Maybe music lovers unaware of Langgaard's music will see the light ?  ;)

Roasted Swan

Quote from: relm1 on September 19, 2018, 06:50:51 AM
What is this one subtitled?

"and then I realized I was underwater...in an evening gown...about to drown...but my violin sounds better underwater.  I must resist the urge to breathe and play my violin instead.  I have NO idea why I'm here"?

and her wrist position is really bad too - that's what drowning does to your technique.

Brian

NOVEMBER is approaching!!! Prepare your Christmas lists!

"On this release, the Trondheim Sinfonietta, founded in 1998, has gathered four works from the three decades encompassing the ensemble's existence. All four seem to be haunted by an even deeper past: Bent Sørensen's Minnelieder is the composer's third version of a work originally sparked-off by a book about the 14th century, while Toshio Hosokawa's Drawing, from a decade later, was inspired by the very start of life. Kristin Norderval's Chapel Meditation began its existence as an improvisation, but looks back to music from centuries earlier, while the most recent work, Mantra by Ellen Lindquist, also mines a venerable musical tradition, that of the age-old Indonesian gamelan orchestra that for over 100 years has had an influence on Western composers such as Debussy, Britten, Steve Reich et al. Set for varying forces and numbers of performers, the four works together form a fascinating picture of the kaleidoscopic possibilities open to composers around the turn of the millennium."

Camerata RCO is Concertgebouw members.

Brian

NOVEMBER 2: DEAD COMPOSER BOOGALOO

"The Czechenyi dynasty stood at the heart of Hungary's political and musical life in the 19th and 20th centuries. Their ideal milieu lay in the vibrant, melodious dance-patterned music, of which Imre's Waltz No. 1 is a perfect example. Odon's highly accomplished works reflect his sophisticated wit, whilst in Franciska, Hungary had its first female composer and in Gisa, the world's first female film composer."

Brian

NOVEMBER EPISODE 3: REVENGE OF THE SITH

This is marked as "Rihm: Music for Violin and Orchestra, Vol. 1"

Wirén withdrew his first quartet. The players are members of the Swedish Chamber Orchestra.

No front cover images yet:

No artwork yet:

Lutoslawski: Symphonies Nos. 1 & 4; Jeux vénitiens
Composer(s):   Lutoslawski, Witold
Artist(s):   Finnish Radio Symphony Orchestra; Lintu, Hannu
Label:   ONDINE (ODE)

The new erato

The Wiren quartets are very fine. I have them on a Daphne disc.

TheGSMoeller

SymphonicAddict

Quote from: Brian on September 20, 2018, 12:14:12 PM
NOVEMBER 2: DEAD COMPOSER BOOGALOO

"The Czechenyi dynasty stood at the heart of Hungary's political and musical life in the 19th and 20th centuries. Their ideal milieu lay in the vibrant, melodious dance-patterned music, of which Imre's Waltz No. 1 is a perfect example. Odon's highly accomplished works reflect his sophisticated wit, whilst in Franciska, Hungary had its first female composer and in Gisa, the world's first female film composer."

Quote from: Brian on September 20, 2018, 12:24:31 PM

Wirén withdrew his first quartet. The players are members of the Swedish Chamber Orchestra.

No artwork yet:

The Goldmark, the Castelnuovo-Tedesco, the Wirén, the Eller, the Kuula, the Dubois and possibly the Strauss, are the most promising and interesting for me. I was unaware about a 3rd VC by Castelnuovo-Tedesco. The ones that are recorded are simply spellbinding and deservedly recommended if you don't know them. Another month with superlative releases.

SymphonicAddict

Quote from: André on September 20, 2018, 05:22:21 AM
Maybe music lovers unaware of Langgaard's music will see the light ?  ;)

You didn't ask me, but I hope so!

JBS

Just a note.
I havd no idea of how they are in any other composer's music, but the Tippett Quartet's recordings of Tippett's quartets are excellent.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Omicron9

Quote from: Brian on September 20, 2018, 12:24:31 PM

No artwork yet:

Ah, cool!  The Gorecki string quartets need to be better known.

"Signature-line free since 2017!"

Kontrapunctus

Alek Hidell

Quote from: Toccata&Fugue on September 22, 2018, 11:49:15 AM

:D Yabba dabba doo!

This is an odd one, isn't it? A classical EP: four short pieces, nine minutes total playing time. Don't believe I've ever seen such a thing.
"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist." - Hélder Pessoa Câmara