New Releases

Started by Brian, March 12, 2009, 12:26:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

akebergv

Quote from: 71 dB on December 12, 2018, 12:38:42 AM
Be sceptical about "new hi-res remasters" of half a century old recordings. There's not much one can do to the sound quality in remastering. In pop music maybe, but classical music is puristic. What can you really do? Not much. Record labels want us to buy the old recordings over and over again and fancy technical terms work on people who don't have proper knowledge for technical scepticism.

Blu-ray, not Blue Ray, Blu Ray, Blue-ray etc.  0:)
Yes a fair amont of scepticism is warranted, but both Sony and DG has in some cases gone back and not only remastered but remixed earlier recordings with excellent result, such as Sony's "Remastered" Glenn Gould box which is several steps up from any previous version, and the same is true for much of the 100 CD "Remastered" Bernstein and other recent Bernstein boxes. Another development is when smaller companies, like Dutton or PentaTone, have gone back to the master tapes of early Quad recordings originally made by Phillips, DG, RCA or Columbia, and remaster them for 4.0 SACD, often with superb results.

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

Quote from: 71 dB on December 12, 2018, 12:38:42 AM
Be sceptical about "new hi-res remasters" of half a century old recordings. There's not much one can do to the sound quality in remastering. In pop music maybe, but classical music is puristic. What can you really do? Not much. Record labels want us to buy the old recordings over and over again and fancy technical terms work on people who don't have proper knowledge for technical scepticism.

The issue is not the resolution, the issue is that the Mahler/Kubelik CDs they have been selling up until now were mastered in 1988. The equipment used in those days had shortcomings and the importance of using the original source material rather than a mix down tape that was used to cut the LP had not been recognized.  For something first released in the mid 1990s or later there is no reason to expect an much of an improvement (it can go either way). For something mastered in the 1980s there can be a big improvement.

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

Quote from: Madiel on December 12, 2018, 02:04:12 AM
Because they're not in fact fools and are hoping to fool you.

Or to put it in a less nefarious way, they are focused on selling and on PR. Facts are not, on the whole, exciting selling points.

There is an art to making the product seem attractive and providing information. In my case they lost a sale.

Pat B

Quote from: Daverz on December 11, 2018, 08:02:20 PM
I would assume the CDs in the set above are down-sampled from the same master as the blu-ray files.

I would not make that assumption. My understanding is that creating a new master is one of the most expensive parts of doing a reissue.

Quote from: Madiel on December 12, 2018, 02:04:12 AM
Or to put it in a less nefarious way, they are focused on selling and on PR. Facts are not, on the whole, exciting selling points.

That depends on the fact. If the fact is "newly remastered," then the PR folks are often very willing to provide it. If the fact is "same master that's been available for decades," then they might decide it's not so important.

Brian

2019 BIS releases are going to include:

- Enescu + Mendelssohn Octets with Gringolts and Meta4 string quartets
- Grieg violin sonatas with Eldbjørg Hemsing and Simon Trpčeski
- Khachaturian piano recital debut for Jordanian-Palestinian pianist Iyad Sughayer
- Mahler 1, 2, and 4 with Vanska/Minnesota
- Anna Paradiso plays Pietro Paradisi (HIP)
- an album of Peteris Vasks with violist Maxim Rysanov and the Sinfonietta Riga

and

"Azerbaijani virtuoso Elshan Mansurov on kamancha; Elcin Nagıyev on tar; the acclaimed Zhao Yuanchun on Chinese erhu; the renowned Persian setar player Kiya Tabassian; the poetic Neva Özgen on Turkish kemençe; Chinese sheng phenomenon Wu Wei and Japanese sho magician Naomi Sato... They will all feature in our recording of Joël Bons' hour-long dreamscape Nomaden, a unique piece in which we follow cellist Jean-Guihen Queyras on his meanderings across continents together with the Atlas Ensemble under Ed Spanjaard."

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Brian on December 12, 2018, 11:26:13 AM
2019 BIS releases are going to include:
- Mahler 1, 2, and 4 with Vanska/Minnesota

I already found samples of this 2nd on iTunes. Jan. 18, 2019 release date.

JBS

Amazon US actually has a detailed track listing. Unusual for them this far in advance
[asin]B07JZB1VWN[/asin]

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Madiel

Quote from: Pat B on December 12, 2018, 08:29:46 AM
That depends on the fact. If the fact is "newly remastered," then the PR folks are often very willing to provide it. If the fact is "same master that's been available for decades," then they might decide it's not so important.

This is true.

I perhaps could have discussed in more detail the kind of "facts" I had in mind... but it was not my inclination at that moment. Being precise is a job hazard and sometimes I just can't be arsed in my spare time.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

ritter

Quote from: JBS on December 12, 2018, 04:35:36 PM
Amazon US actually has a detailed track listing. Unusual for them this far in advance
[asin]B07JZB1VWN[/asin]
Tempted, very tempted....only duplication in my collection would be the Nelson recording of Béatrice et Bénédict.

mc ukrneal

Quote from: ritter on December 13, 2018, 04:04:19 AM
Tempted, very tempted....only duplication in my collection would be the Nelson recording of Béatrice et Bénédict.
It IS tempting. I still haven't gotten the Nelson Troyens (roughly $25) and for not a huge amount more, I could get all this other stuff (especially if the price comes down a bit as is usually the case).

EDIT: The only duplication on my side would be the Nelson Te Deum.
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

André

I doubt that any texts are provided, and that's a concern for over half of the box - and I'm not counting the works everybody already has such as Roméo et Juliette, Nuits d'été or L'Enfance du Christ.

Liedernet.com may have texts for the mélodies, cantates and sundry choruses, though.

Brian

Features:

New 2K digital restoration, with uncompressed stereo soundtrack on the Blu-ray

Interview with director Ingmar Bergman recorded in 1974 for Swedish television

New interview with film scholar Peter Cowie

Tystnad! Tagning! Trollflöjten! (1975), a feature-length documentary produced for Swedish television about the making of the film

PLUS: An essay by author Alexander Chee

JBS

Quote from: Brian on December 14, 2018, 05:47:13 PM

Features:

Tystnad! Tagning! Trollflöjten! (1975), a feature-length documentary produced for Swedish television about the making of the film

A delightful film. I saw it at the movie theater when it was released in the US.

André

Quote from: JBS on December 14, 2018, 05:49:36 PM
A delightful film. I saw it at the movie theater when it was released in the US.

Same here. I remember being quite surprised to hear it sung in Swedish  ???. I knew the work reasonably well but was quite disconcerted. I had no idea then that operas could be performed in a foreign language  ::). Lovely shots of the young girl in the audience. The to and fro between stage and audience was quite novel, I think.

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Brian on December 14, 2018, 05:47:13 PM

Features:

I was looking out for my 'March Criterion Releases' email earlier this week! And this was an enormously welcomed surprise. I adore this film, saw it many, many years ago and was enchanted right away. Very anxious to see the new restoration.

Mandryka

It's in Swedish. I mean, they sing it in Swedish! Deal breaker for me.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Todd

To HIP, or not to HIP

Dvorak's Ninth.

Furtwangler on SACD.  Beyond pointless.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Brian

Man, somebody needs to do a sale on the Chopin Institute catalogue. They have some cool stuff...or at least stuff that I think will be cool.

JBS

My orders from last week all landed in a clump, including the new CD of Schumann lieder from Christian Gerharer. A little label on the front announced this is the first installment of his project to record Schumann's complete lieder.

Madiel

Quote from: Todd on December 15, 2018, 07:53:57 AM

Does anyone know if these are brand new recordings or a collection of existing albums? And if existing, are they any good?
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!