New Releases

Started by Brian, March 12, 2009, 12:26:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

relm1

Quote from: André on December 21, 2018, 07:30:58 PM
Advice to Andris Nelsons: never a good idea to look up when you are going down the stairs.
How do you know he's not walking upstairs backwards?

Que

Quote from: Todd on January 05, 2019, 06:46:22 AM

The Casadesus would be a serious consideration.... and I'm not easily tempted by these mega box sets.
But I feel Casadesus focused on the repertoire he was good in, very good...

Q

PerfectWagnerite

Todd

Quote from: Que on January 05, 2019, 07:22:42 AMBut I feel Casadesus focused on the repertoire he was good in, very good...

Reference quality LvB Violin Sonatas, Mozart concertos and sonatas, Faure chamber music, piano duets/four hands with his wife, and excellent or better everything else.  I would tend to agree with you.  If I did not already own the old long box, I'd buy this in an instant.

Quote from: PerfectWagnerite on January 05, 2019, 07:23:23 AM
When is this coming out and where can I get it?

It is slated for worldwide release in March. 
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Madiel

Age of the recordings seems likely to put me off. I can generally handle 1960s no problem, but any earlier than that and the sound quality tends to diminish my enjoyment.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Brian

Some more FEBRUARY stuff has popped up:

*Yes, this is reportedly a seventh solo sonata by Ysaye, long lost and rediscovered by Quint in a Brussels archive!

North Star

Quote from: Brian on January 08, 2019, 09:02:52 AM
Some more FEBRUARY stuff has popped up:
This should be great, judging by the same trio's Janáček Moravian folk songs disc.
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

The new erato

Very tempting bit with that conductor I fear performances might be only so-so!

André

This Philippe Graffin disc is a mandatory purchase for me, with a "new" Ysaÿe sonata and a splendid program to boot. Graffin's recording of the canonic Ysaÿe works on Hyperion is excellent (although I prefer Barati's).

jlopes

Some new future releases I'm aware of:

Jeremy Denk – c. 1300 – c. 2000, "music from Machaut to Ligeti—with Binchois, Gesualdo, Stockhausen, Philip Glass, and many others in the middle."  (Denk will release Ives Violin Sonatas with Stefan Jackiw, but I don't know if this coming this year or next; I saw them playing the sonatas last year and it was amazing)

Martin Helmchen - Vingt Regards sur l'Enfant-Jésus (Alpha, February): https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/8539819--messiaen-vingt-regards-sur-lenfant-jesus

Alban Gerhardt - Bach's Cello Suites (Hyperion, late March): https://www.hyperion-records.co.uk/dc.asp?dc=D_CDA68261/2

A few other 2019 releases (later months):

Doric String Quartet - Britten's complete quartets

Belcea Quartet - Janacek quartets with Ligeti's first one

Steven Osborne - Beethoven 109/110/111

Danish String Quartet - Prism II, with Beethoven op.130/Grosse Fuge plus Schnittke

Ian Bostridge/Thomas Adès, Winterreise, live at Wigmore Hall

Gerald Finley/Julius Drake, Schwanengesang/Vier ernste Gesänge

Also: Angela Hewitt re-recorded Bach's Partitas for Hyperion, but I don't know if it's coming this year. And I think, but not I'm not absolutely sure, that András Schiff is recording late Brahms for ECM.

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

Quote from: jlopes on January 09, 2019, 05:14:02 AMAlso: Angela Hewitt re-recorded Bach's Partitas for Hyperion, but I don't know if it's coming this year. And I think, but not I'm not absolutely sure, that András Schiff is recording late Brahms for ECM.

I wish she'd stop re-recording Bach. I have generally preferred her first go-around when I've heard both and she has done interesting work in other composers, which I wish she'd do more of.

Mandryka

Quote from: jlopes on January 09, 2019, 05:14:02 AM
Some new future releases I'm aware of:

Jeremy Denk – c. 1300 – c. 2000, "music from Machaut to Ligeti—with Binchois, Gesualdo, Stockhausen, Philip Glass, and many others in the middle."  (Denk will release Ives Violin Sonatas with Stefan Jackiw, but I don't know if this coming this year or next; I saw them playing the sonatas last year and it was amazing)

Martin Helmchen - Vingt Regards sur l'Enfant-Jésus (Alpha, February): https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/8539819--messiaen-vingt-regards-sur-lenfant-jesus

Alban Gerhardt - Bach's Cello Suites (Hyperion, late March): https://www.hyperion-records.co.uk/dc.asp?dc=D_CDA68261/2

A few other 2019 releases (later months):

Doric String Quartet - Britten's complete quartets

Belcea Quartet - Janacek quartets with Ligeti's first one

Steven Osborne - Beethoven 109/110/111

Danish String Quartet - Prism II, with Beethoven op.130/Grosse Fuge plus Schnittke

Ian Bostridge/Thomas Adès, Winterreise, live at Wigmore Hall

Gerald Finley/Julius Drake, Schwanengesang/Vier ernste Gesänge

Also: Angela Hewitt re-recorded Bach's Partitas for Hyperion, but I don't know if it's coming this year. And I think, but not I'm not absolutely sure, that András Schiff is recording late Brahms for ECM.

there are some interesting things here, I too heard Denk, if anyone wants the concert recording I can let them have it. I've heard Steven Osborne play late Beethoven and have every reason to think that his sonatas recording will be a bit interesting. If the Ian Bostridge/Thomas Adès is from late last year I was there and it was a splendid night out, but I should say that I'm very sympathetic to Bostridge. A friend of mine heard the Doric Quartet play Britten and he said it was wonderful. Martin Helmchen is a great pianist, so anything he does will have things to say.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Madiel

I'll be adding Alban Gerhardt to the Bach cello suites short list, simply because I have him in the Faure cello sonatas and I'm very satisfied.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

kyjo

This looks quite promising, especially for the Damase work.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

PerfectWagnerite

Quote from: kyjo on January 09, 2019, 03:31:57 PM
This looks quite promising, especially for the Damase work.
That cd must be really new. It says 2019 in the back and we are only Jan 9th so when did they print that back cover?

Brian

Quote from: PerfectWagnerite on January 09, 2019, 04:13:14 PM
That cd must be really new. It says 2019 in the back and we are only Jan 9th so when did they print that back cover?
It's a February release

king ubu

nice to see the next instalment of Bolet Berlin recordings on audite!
Es wollt ein meydlein grasen gan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Und do die roten röslein stan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich mehr, du hast dein ehr.
Kannstu nit, ich wills dich lern.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

http://ubus-notizen.blogspot.ch/

Mirror Image

Quote from: North Star on January 08, 2019, 09:22:19 AM
This should be great, judging by the same trio's Janáček Moravian folk songs disc.

+1 A recording I'll definitely keep my eyes on.

Todd

Oh hell yeah!

A less hunky Ottensamer.

Sure to be a best seller among GMG visitors.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

amw

Ghraichy also seems to have undergone a significant downgrade in hotness over the last few years. And the Paul Lewis album cover suggests that he plays the theme from "Jaws" as an encore