New Releases

Started by Brian, March 12, 2009, 12:26:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Draško

Quote from: Que on March 05, 2019, 09:06:31 AM
What is she doing?  ::)

Bigger question is what is she doing with Andante sostenuto of D960 at fourteen and a half minutes  :o

Mandryka

Quote from: Draško on March 05, 2019, 09:24:15 AM
Bigger question is what is she doing with Andante sostenuto of D960 at fourteen and a half minutes  :o

Ha I noticed that too!
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Que

Quote from: Draško on March 05, 2019, 09:24:15 AM

She seems to be very leisurely....  :D

Quote from: "Harry" on March 05, 2019, 09:12:06 AM
I know a nice of her quite closely, also a musician, and she told me that the mother of Khatia is staging these poses, for she know the financial effect of them.

If it sells, it sells....

Q

André

She stopped to smell the flowers.

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

Mandryka

Quote from: Florestan on March 05, 2019, 09:11:25 AM
Why, Schuberting no doubt... :D

Jokes aside, I'm interested in hearing it, the lady is a very fine pianist.

I guess you've heard this

https://www.youtube.com/v/2cmcR88yHe4

Florestan

There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

San Antone

I have considered Buniatishvili more sizzle than steak - her recording of the Liszt B Minor (a work I have listened to 250+ recordings of) is not in my top fifty recordings: a lot of sound and fury signifying nothing, IMO.  Maybe she's gotten better, I haven't kept up with her more recent releases.

Mandryka

Quote from: San Antone on March 05, 2019, 12:36:01 PM
the Liszt B Minor (a work I have listened to 250+ recordings of)

Bloody hell!

San Antone

Quote from: Mandryka on March 05, 2019, 01:03:20 PM
Bloody hell!

Yeah, it is an ongoing project and one of the only times where I am comparing recordings and with a way to rank them.  It is frustrating since I had it 99% completed in 2015 but because of a flash drive glitch lost my documents and had to go back to the last saved version which was only about 50% complete.  I've been slowly going back and re-listening and rating them but I've only gotten the first 100 done.

You might say I am a Liszt B minor sonata obsessive.

;)

Mandryka

Quote from: San Antone on March 05, 2019, 12:36:01 PM
I have considered Buniatishvili more sizzle than steak - her recording of the Liszt B Minor (a work I have listened to 250+ recordings of) is not in my top fifty recordings: a lot of sound and fury signifying nothing, IMO.  Maybe she's gotten better, I haven't kept up with her more recent releases.

Most of the music she's recorded doesn't interest me much so I haven't followed her, but I have listened to her Chopin sonata. What I will say is that I like very much the sound she makes, soft and sweet, with lots of air between the voices. And I like the total eradication of domineering foceful aggression.

Mandryka

Quote from: Florestan on March 05, 2019, 09:11:25 AM
Why, Schuberting no doubt... :D

Jokes aside, I'm interested in hearing it, the lady is a very fine pianist.

You can hear the Schubert/Liszt Ständchen from that recording on Spotify. It has her distinctive sound and voicing, which I like so much. It is slow and sometimes a bit plodding in terms of rhythm (compare her Bach arrangement on the CD Motherland.)

Wanderer

Quote from: Que on March 05, 2019, 09:06:31 AM
Is that the artist?  :) What is she doing?  ::)

I'd say she's in a Pre-Raphaelite mode, possibly trying to emulate the pose of Ophelia by Millais:

Madiel

Quote from: Wanderer on March 05, 2019, 11:44:19 PM
I'd say she's in a Pre-Raphaelite mode, possibly trying to emulate the pose of Ophelia by Millais:

Which reminds me, I think that painting is in  town right now...
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Wanderer

Quote from: Madiel on March 06, 2019, 12:05:24 AM
Which reminds me, I think that painting is in  town right now...

It is!
Along with, among others, Waterhouse's Lady of Shalott.

Mandryka

Quote from: San Antone on March 05, 2019, 01:28:53 PM
with a way to rank them.

Aahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhghhhhhhhhhhh. Kill me now!

betterthanfine

Quote from: Wanderer on March 05, 2019, 11:44:19 PM

Seems to be a popular theme in upcoming releases:

Alek Hidell

Since it's Schubert, the first thing that came to my mind was Death and the Maiden. But of course that's not a piano piece, nor does she include an arrangement of it on the disc (if one has been done).
"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist." - Hélder Pessoa Câmara

Florestan

Quote from: Alek Hidell on March 07, 2019, 04:46:08 AM
Since it's Schubert, the first thing that came to my mind was Death and the Maiden. But of course that's not a piano piece, nor does she include an arrangement of it on the disc (if one has been done).

There is a four-hand one by Robert Franz, available on this disc:

There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Todd

(No proper cover yet.)

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya