North Star

"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Mandryka

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Que

Quote from: Mandryka on May 11, 2019, 01:03:11 PM
Lars Vogt Mozart sonatas here

https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/8612440--mozart-piano-sonatas-k280-k281-k310-k333

We need more Mozart sonata recordings? On a "modern" instrument, I presume?

He must be pretty damn good!  :)

Q

Mandryka

Quote from: Que on May 11, 2019, 01:55:30 PM
We need more Mozart sonata recordings? On a "modern" instrument, I presume?

He must be pretty damn good!  :)

Q

Yes that was exactly my knee jerk reaction, however he has ideas and he can implement them.

Re your "modern instrument", maybe someone here can tell me what he's playing, which sounds rather nice. As does the sound engineering. It's one of the few piano recordings I've heard recently which is IMO the right distance from the instrument. 

More generally I'd say that Vogt, along with Tetzlaff, are the two people who are really thinking through classical style music from scratch today, probably informed by the most recent ideas about authentic phrasing etc, rejecting traditional conservatory values, which IMO aware harmful to the music anyway (accurate unvarying rhythms, long phrases etc.)  I'm thinking mostly of Mozart and Schubert.

Que

Quote from: Mandryka on May 11, 2019, 09:30:38 PM
Re your "modern instrument", maybe someone here can tell me what he's playing, which sound rather nice. As does the sound engineering. It's one of the few piano recordings I've heard recently which is IMO the right distance from the instrument. 

So you think he is indeed pretty damn good...  :)

I tried to check the pedegree of the instrument on the Ondine website, but to no avail...
Which usually mesns it's not on (a copy after) a period instrument, but that still leaves a lot of options...

What does he usually play? Non-PI pianists tend to play everything on the same instrument.

Q

Mandryka

Quote from: Que on May 12, 2019, 01:04:45 AM

I tried to check the pedegree of the instrument on the Ondine website, but to no avail...
Which usually mesns it's not on (a copy after) a period instrument, but that still leaves a lot of options...

What does he usually play? Non-PI pianists tend to play everything on the same instrument.

Q

It's certainly a modern piano. But not all modern pianos are the same. I think the days when "Non-PI pianists tend to play everything on the same instrument" are still with us, but though I've got no evidence for this, my suspicion  is that they're with us less so.

Having said that it's probably a bog standard Steinway grand, I've got cloth ears when it comes to modern pianos. On one set of speakers it sounds different from another, and through the ones I'm using now it sounds more standard than the ones I was using before. Or maybe my ears have changed.

Anyway, it's well recorded.

Quote from: Que on May 12, 2019, 01:04:45 AM

Q

Well, I think he probably is, but only time will tell how it wears, obviously.

Listening to it it made me want to hear 281 on a hapsichord, I don't know what Rampe uses.  There's something about the way the voices work in the first movement which makes me think that this will sound really cool on a harpsichord.

Mirror Image

The follow-up to John Luther Adams' Become Ocean:

[asin]B07QZV4QQL[/asin]

Mandryka

Marin Marais – Pièces de la Suite d'un Goût Etranger dont la Rêveuse, l'Amériquaine, l'Arabesque et le Badinage

Charles Hurel- Suite pour le théorbe

Le Sieur de Sainte Colombe – Pièces pour la viole seule et

« le Retour » pour 2 Violes Esgales

Brian

Just come over the wire:

BEETHOVEN, L. van: Symphonies (Complete) (Danish Chamber Orchestra, Á. Fischer)   
Arcayürek, Ilker - tenor / Danish Chamber Orchestra / Danish National Concert Choir / Fischer, Ádám - conductor / Frandsen, Morten Grove - counter-tenor / Møller, Lars - baritone / Swietlicki, Sara - soprano
Naxos

Currently no release date info, no cover image, in fact nothing at all in Naxos' database. It's supposed to come out this month, but wasn't announced in advance as usual. Strange. Maybe it is a limited-market release that will only be sold in Denmark. Still, the Danish/Fischer Mozart cycle was so across-the-board outstanding that I'd expect at least their Beethoven 1, 2, and 8 to merit wider release...

Also, if you've ever wanted to hear "Ode to Joy" with a countertenor, here's your chance?!?!?!

Ras

Quote from: Brian on May 15, 2019, 06:10:29 AM
BEETHOVEN, L. van: Symphonies (Complete) (Danish Chamber Orchestra, Á. Fischer)   Naxos

Currently no release date info, no cover image, in fact nothing at all in Naxos' database.

Hi there Brian - Good to hear that Adam Fischer and his Danish Chamber Orchestra has fans outside Denmark!

Here is the new Beethoven complete symphonies cycle from Naxos on www.amazon.com - they say official release date is May 17. :

[asin]B07R82YZRG[/asin]
"Music is life and, like it, inextinguishable." - Carl Nielsen

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

Quote from: Brian on May 15, 2019, 06:10:29 AMAlso, if you've ever wanted to hear "Ode to Joy" with a countertenor, here's your chance?!?!?!

???

I did enjoy their Mozart a lot.

Introverted

Don't remember seeing this here:

Probably not that exciting as it's just a re-issue of the "red" box that's been OOP for a few years.
Think I'll be picking up a copy though... :)

Brian

Naxos is launching a new Myaskovsky symphony cycle with a Russian youth orchestra. Details on Vol. 1 to come next week...

Introverted

Quote from: Brian on May 17, 2019, 08:31:01 AM
Naxos is launching a new Myaskovsky symphony cycle with a Russian youth orchestra. Details on Vol. 1 to come next week...

That sounds pretty cool - I'd like it if Naxos recorded all his String Quartets too.

kyjo

Awesome!! It's about time someone released new recordings of the Myaskovsky symphonies. Jeffrey (vandermolen) will be ecstatic! ;) Let's just hope this Russian youth orchestra is up to snuff...
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

PerfectWagnerite

Quote from: Undersea on May 17, 2019, 08:02:59 AM
Don't remember seeing this here:

Probably not that exciting as it's just a re-issue of the "red" box that's been OOP for a few years.
Think I'll be picking up a copy though... :)
Didn't think he wrote 9cds of "Masterworks".

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Mandryka

Quote from: (: premont :) on May 08, 2019, 02:09:28 PM
Hilger Kespohl plays organ works by Matthias Weckmann on the Arp Schnitger organ, St. Pancratius Kirche, Neuenfelde.(Label MDG)

The organ was restored 2015/17 by Kristian Wegscheider, Dresden, Contains 34 stops on two manuals and pedal. Tuning: Modified mean tone (1/5 komma), 3/4 tone above a'.The organ really sounds like a Schnitger organ, something like the organ in Norden.

Kespohl knows this organ very well and delivers a stylish, detached and no-nonsense interpretation throughout The recorded sound is colorful and realistic.

Much recommended.

This was a good recommendation, I was reluctant at first because I'd never heard of the organist but he's well able to make it into fine music and the sound quality is fabulous. Anyway this is in the pipeline I'm pleased to say

https://www.mdg.de/pdf/2113e.pdf

Maestro267

Wow! Let's hope they see it through to completion. I suspect it will take a while, with 27 of them to get through. The Villa-Lobos cycle of 11 took five years to be released. I'll certainly keep an eye on this cycle.