Mandryka

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Mandryka

Italian popular songs, but without O sole mio

premont

Quote from: Mandryka on May 19, 2019, 09:33:44 PM

A new CU3

Particularly interesting because of the reconstructed organ.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Ras

E. Kissin + Emerson q.:
Mozart - Dvorák -  Faure

[asin]B07NBCR86P[/asin]
"Music is life and, like it, inextinguishable." - Carl Nielsen

Mandryka

Mandryka

Cara, 9 CDs of Frescobaldi

Florestan

Quote from: Mandryka on May 23, 2019, 05:13:27 AM

Cara, 9 CDs of Frescobaldi

Actually, only 7. Played on 9 instruments.  ;)
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

Que

Quote from: Mandryka on May 23, 2019, 05:13:27 AM

Cera, 9 CDs of Frescobaldi

Yes! Francesco Cera seems like a good organist for Frescobaldi.

I would be into this set. :)

Q

Mandryka

Quote from: Que on May 23, 2019, 10:10:01 AM
Yes! Francesco Cera seems like a good organist for Frescobaldi.

I would be into this set. :)

Q

I thought of you when I saw it.

premont

Quote from: Mandryka on May 23, 2019, 01:40:01 PM
I thought of you when I saw it.

Funny, I thought of you, when I saw it.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Harry

And I exclusively thought of me.... :laugh:
I ordered it!
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Todd

(Missed the last issue.  Probably shouldn't miss this one.)

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Brian

Whoa! It's great to see Corinna Simon on a major label. She and I have a slight "history" - I gave a very positive MusicWeb review of her Gershwin album back in the day (maybe 2011-12), which apparently was especially meaningful to her because Jed Distler at ClassicsToday had just given the album a mere 5 out of 10. A few weeks later, what should show up in my mailbox but a bubble mailer from Ms. Simon herself with a handwritten letter and copies of her solo recitals of Jean Francaix and the first-ever complete recording of Lutoslawski's piano music. The Lutoslawski was a knockout, but when I tried to file a MWI review of the Francaix CD, Len informed me that he was having a big fight with the record label (Crystal Classics I think??), and they were refusing to publish anything about any Crystal Classics CDs. So I sent an email to Hurwitz more or less begging them to run it at CT, and Hurwitz said "No, Jed does the piano stuff." It wound up appearing some random place that said yes. Ms. Simon then gratefully sent along her Gliere CD...which is still sitting somewhere, I'm afraid, four years later...

ritter

Announced for late May on Amazon (Presto gives a later release date):

[asin]B07RGWTL38[/asin]
The CD includes live recordings of Stravinsky's Movements and Capriccio, with Pierre Boulez conducting the EIC (from 1985 as far as I can tell).

Mandryka

Van Veen's review makes this sound like an essential purchase not least because of this comment

Quote from: Johan van Veen here http://www.musica-dei-donum.org/cd_reviews/MDG_914-2125-6.htmlHarald Vogel is an expert in this repertoire and knows both the music and the instruments in the region inside out. That shows here: he delivers fully idiomatic performances. There is one aspect of his interpretation which is controversial among organists: the change of stops during play. This is only possible with the help of an assistant. The question is: did organists in the 17th century have such assistants? Vogel is convinced they did, but the late Ewald Kooiman was of a different opinion. Here the registration is frequently changed during play. Which view is historically correct I don't know. I would prefer less changes in registration. However, that does in no way diminish my appreciation for Vogel's performances, which convincingly demonstrate the brilliant qualities of this instrument.

premont

Quote from: Mandryka on May 27, 2019, 12:48:47 AM

Van Veen's review makes this sound like an essential purchase not least because of this comment

Registrations could be changed on Baroque organs by changing manual (echo-effects e.g.). If registrations were to be changed on a specific manual, it could not be done, while the organist played, but a general pause in the music was necessary. Actually there are general pauses in some Baroque organ music, - maybe they were meant for changing stops or for coupling manuals. In Bruhns' toccatas, in many of Buxtehude's Preludes and even in Bach's organ music there are general pauses, e.g. the concluding fugue of the passacaglia near the end, where the accumulated tension at the fermate could be intensified by adding more stops during the general pause. This is also what many organists actually do.The organs of to day allow stop changes during the playing, and the electrically operated stop-change devices make them much easier, but before that an assistant (so called registrant) was usually necessary.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Brian

A new recording for Enrique Granados' OPERA version of "Goyescas." The booklet includes full libretto; Harmonia Mundi's PR blurb claims the booklet also contains numerous Goya paintings which were Granados' inspirations, but the digital PDF has the cover and no other paintings...maybe there's an insert.

71 dB

Quote from: Brian on May 27, 2019, 08:26:31 AM
A new recording for Enrique Granados' OPERA version of "Goyescas." The booklet includes full libretto; Harmonia Mundi's PR blurb claims the booklet also contains numerous Goya paintings which were Granados' inspirations, but the digital PDF has the cover and no other paintings...maybe there's an insert.

That is one interesting release!
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

Mandryka

My sort of Brahms, at least on the basis of a 10 minute sample of the first movement of the first symphony. Transparent, so not dominated by string tones,  and tough.