New Releases

Started by Brian, March 12, 2009, 12:26:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J.A.W.

Quote from: Todd on June 15, 2019, 05:54:30 AM

That's what I'm talkin' 'bout.

Got a message today that the Backhaus set has been postponed indefinitely. No reason was given.
Hans

Paul_Thomas

Brian

Quote from: Paul_Thomas on August 23, 2019, 10:37:32 AM
True, but bear in mind that some of these artists lived through a period a genuine and dramatic change in recording technology. Remaking a concerto cycle in stereo from mono is fair enough in my book, and then potentially again with digital recording...
This is a very good point I should have thought about!

-

More OCTOBER fun to pair with the stuff on the previous page!

That's Martinu's "Incantations" paired with the Dvorak concerto. Pretty cool looking CD.

SimonNZ

Que

Quote from: SimonNZ on August 26, 2019, 09:58:30 PM

Oooohhhhh!  ???

Depending on the price, that's excellent - I don't have any of the recordings!  :)

Q

amw

I have like half of them and can recommend the Lubimov and Pashchenko selections unreservedly.

Que

I'm now wondering why they didn't do a whole Schoonderwoerd set?

Q

Harry

Quote from: Que on August 26, 2019, 10:09:21 PM
I'm now wondering why they didn't do a whole Schoonderwoerd set?

Q

They will, give them time.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Harry

Two new Alpha boxes soon to be released.

Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Brian

Quick update on the missing Naxos images: I alerted them and their IT department is renewing their security certificates.

jwinter

Quote from: Brian on August 21, 2019, 08:23:51 AM
OCTOBER continues...

77 CDs

Well, now I know what to ask Santa for... the old feller may need a bigger sleigh  :) 

While I've got most of Walter's late Columbia SO recordings, and have loved them for years, I don't actually have very much of the mono stuff from New York, so I think I need to get this.

I picked up the similar Szell set a while back, and it's reeeeeeally nice; I still literally cannot thumb through the box without smiling like a kid with a new bike.  As I've blathered many times in the past, Szell and Walter's recordings were largely responsible for getting me into classical music as a young lad.  Our local department store had oodles of bargain Columbia recordings on LP and later cassette, and my mom or grandmother would sometimes indulge me for $3.99.  Most of them came with the Great Performances cover art like this (which I now add to my mp3s of these recordings, because I'm a dork):

I'm curious to see if they do a similar box with Lenny's New York recordings.  Though there may be too many of them to physically assemble  -- that would be one enormous box....
The man that hath no music in himself,
Nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds,
Is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils.
The motions of his spirit are dull as night,
And his affections dark as Erebus.
Let no such man be trusted.

-- William Shakespeare, The Merchant of Venice

JBS

Quote from: Brian on August 28, 2019, 11:28:29 AM
Quick update on the missing Naxos images: I alerted them and their IT department is renewing their security certificates.

And indeed they have
Quote from: Brian on August 26, 2019, 09:50:01 AM
-

That's Martinu's "Incantations" paired with the Dvorak concerto. Pretty cool looking CD.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

SymphonicAddict

Quote from: Brian on August 26, 2019, 09:50:01 AM
This is a very good point I should have thought about!

-

Noticing the enthusiasm about Eller, hopefully Ondine will record his complete symphonies. The Moszkowski looks intriguing.

vandermolen

Quote from: SymphonicAddict on August 28, 2019, 01:35:28 PM
Noticing the enthusiasm about Eller, hopefully Ondine will record his complete symphonies. The Moszkowski looks intriguing.

The Eller is indeed very tempting although I have 'Dawn' and 'Twilight' on a fine Chandos release.
October release:
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

akebergv

Quote from: jwinter on August 28, 2019, 12:36:53 PM
I'm curious to see if they do a similar box with Lenny's New York recordings.  Though there may be too many of them to physically assemble  -- that would be one enormous box....
There is no complete Lenny + New York Phil box, but there are several Lenny boxes around (since, just like my father, he would have turned 100 last year). The closest one to the Szell box would be the 100 CD Leonard Bernstein Remastered: [asin]B072M4GVVB[/asin]

Three other ones together comprise a complete Lenny on Columbia/CBS:
[asin]B003Z9Q4WG[/asin]

[asin]B00LL4U1TE[/asin]

[asin]B07CRT9WMN[/asin]
If you want only Lenny with the New York Philharmonic, his recordings fill about half of the NY Phil 175th Anniversary Box: [asin]B01M5FQZCK[/asin]

Todd

Q: Will this be a purchase of the year?

A: Duh.

Same goes for this.

The 2020 Beethoven barrage is starting in earnest.  I'm not even including reissues here.  More please.

Martha Argerich is no longer the big name with the largest font.  How about that?

I just discovered Ms Gerl earlier this year, and here's a new release.  I think I'll partake.

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Brian

Genuinely had never heard of Paillard until that humongous box set showed up.

Obviously we're all buying the Zubin.

Mookalafalas

Quote from: Brian on August 31, 2019, 07:46:06 PM
Genuinely had never heard of Paillard until that humongous box set showed up.

Me either. Probably not a good sign for Erato's business model. ::)
It's all good...

JBS

Quote from: Mookalafalas on August 31, 2019, 08:06:17 PM
  Me either. Probably not a good sign for Erato's business model. ::)

No, just a symptom of not listening to classical music on the radio back in the days when classical music stations existed all over the place.  He was one of the go-to baroque conductors.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Mookalafalas

Quote from: JBS on August 31, 2019, 08:27:07 PM
No, just a symptom of not listening to classical music on the radio back in the days when classical music stations existed all over the place.  He was one of the go-to baroque conductors.
Apparently he was behind the Pachelbel Canon craze of the 1970s (and 306 other disks, according to Wikipedia). That was an unusual  crossover hit--certainly mystified me at the time. Anyway, I like the Erato label a lot.

Just checked the French Amazon. 137 disks! Here is the translation of the description:

The Jean-François Paillard Chamber Orchestra was active from 1953 to 2006, more than fifty successful years, with several thousand concerts in France and abroad. The ensemble remained famous for having rediscovered many works of the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries. It was Erato's "home orchestra" from the early days of the label, recording for three decades more than 200 records throughout a history inextricably linked to this publishing house. Michel Garcin, director of the label and former classmate of Jean-François Paillard at the Conservatoire, called on the young conductor and his ensemble to record, in December 1953, their first album "French Music of the Eighteenth Century". Huge artists gather around the orchestra: Maurice André, Marie-Claire Alain, Jean-Pierre Rampal, Pierre Pierlot, Lily Laskine .. It is unfortunately impossible to summarize in a few lines all the wealth of this box, which gathers in an exhaustive way the totality of the recordings of instrumental music: more than 450 works, in large majority concertantes, of which a number on old instruments. The French composers have a strong hand, Leclair, Lalande, Rameau, Couperin ... and of course Haendel, Vivaldi, Corelli, Albinoni, Bach, Mozart, Telemann, Pachelbel .... More than 25 French or foreign Grand Prix, record sales, tours around the world, a vast and eclectic repertoire that includes many premieres on record: this monumental casket traces one of the most glorious epics in the history of French recording.
It's all good...