New Releases

Started by Brian, March 12, 2009, 12:26:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Irons

Quote from: SymphonicAddict on September 11, 2019, 11:07:09 AM

Piano Trio, Piano Quartet and Piano Quintet. I know his symphonies and all they are very good. No. 2 is not recorded yet for some strange reason.

I like "Jabez & the Devil" too. An interesting release by an equally interesting composer.

Clever cover as I believe Cooke was based in Berlin for a period.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

premont

Quote from: J.A.W. on August 23, 2019, 01:02:54 PM
Got a message today that the Backhaus set has been postponed indefinitely. No reason was given.

Presto writes that it is expected to be released 31.12.19.

https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/art/wilhelm-backhaus-the-complete-decca-recordings/hnum/9275187
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

JBS

Quote from: JBS on September 07, 2019, 05:05:34 PM
Probably this[From Wikipedia]

As for Concerto Zero
BTW, Wikipedia's listing also includes a fragment of a violin concerto (part of the first movement remains) and a lost oboe concerto for which some sketches survive. Both of these date from 1790-1793.

And guess what? Naxos is releasing a recording of the VC fragment and another short early LvB fragment as a download/streaming only album
https://www.naxos.com/catalogue/item.asp?item_code=9.70288
The VC takes up about 8 minutes of this 11 minute long "CD".

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Brian

Quote from: JBS on September 13, 2019, 06:22:24 AM
And guess what? Naxos is releasing a recording of the VC fragment and another short early LvB fragment as a download/streaming only album
It's really, really clear they're gearing up for a Big Box in 2020. Wonder if they are having Giltburg do all the sonatas over or will stick with Jando.

Ras

Quote from: JBS on September 13, 2019, 06:22:24 AM

Which may??? also be included in this complete Naxos Beethoven box due for release in October: 90 cds

[asin]B07XDDHHBG[/asin]
"Music is life and, like it, inextinguishable." - Carl Nielsen

SymphonicAddict

Quote from: vandermolen on September 13, 2019, 12:34:27 AM
I like the look of this. Same Van Gogh cover image as Langgaard symphonies 4-6 on Chandos:

Quite true, Jeffrey. I hadn't noticed it. Certainly attractive, artistic and thought-provoking. Cool. A further reason to get this CD.

SymphonicAddict

Quote from: Irons on September 13, 2019, 04:44:33 AM
I like "Jabez & the Devil" too. An interesting release by an equally interesting composer.

Clever cover as I believe Cooke was based in Berlin for a period.

Just I listened to this suite some minutes ago. Great fun and witty inventiveness. There is a noticeable Hindemith influence on him. Not necessarily bad, but the other way around: it gives spice charged with seriousness.

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Holden

Quote from: Todd on September 13, 2019, 03:04:59 PM

Intriguing.

Her recording of the Liszt Paganini Etudes S141 are my favourite and I also think they are the best available. Unfortunately they are not in this box set as she recorded them for EMI.
Cheers

Holden

Christo

Quote from: SymphonicAddict on September 11, 2019, 11:07:09 AM

Piano Trio, Piano Quartet and Piano Quintet. I know his symphonies and all they are very good. No. 2 is not recorded yet for some strange reason.
His symphonies are very good; indeed, I think his 1947 First is one of the finest first symphonies ever.
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

vandermolen

Quote from: Christo on September 14, 2019, 12:03:21 AM
His symphonies are very good; indeed, I think his 1947 First is one of the finest first symphonies ever.

Also a fan of the Cooke symphonies here.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Roy Bland

Alexander Tchaikovsky 's Tale of Igor Regiment

Mandryka

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Mandryka

Very well recorded, with the texture of the bow on the strings captured beautifully. The performance give an initial impression of being thoughtful and expressive.

Brian

My last update on the OCTOBER listings...

1, 3, 4, plus Stefan Jackiw and Alisa Weilerstein in the Triple Concerto.

"played here by Giovanni Roselli on a conical ring-key flute, which has quieter keys allowing for more elegant trills. Born in Italy, Giovanni Roselli has performed worldwide, and in 2009 was invited to play at the concert for Sir James Galway's 70th birthday celebrations at the Teatro alla Scala."

Coming in November, a new Alkan Symphony for Solo Piano recorded by ... a professional barrister who plays piano as a hobby?!

Madiel

Note to whoever created that Well-Tempered Clavier cover: if I struggle to read what the cover says, I'm less likely to buy the album.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

SurprisedByBeauty

Denon & MDG start Partnership

Love those classic DENON recordings but bummed out that they are OOP (except in Aisa)? Good news! MDG & Denon partner and MDG will re-issue them for the rest of the world!

First one in their new series? This dark-horse candidate for Best #Bruckner Seventh! (Plus Fourth)

premont

Quote from: Mandryka on September 15, 2019, 10:35:12 PM

Very well recorded, with the texture of the bow on the strings captured beautifully. The performance give an initial impression of being thoughtful and expressive.

I enjoy particularly his tasteful and imaginative variations in the repeats.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Mandryka

Quote from: (: premont :) on September 17, 2019, 08:24:31 AM
I enjoy particularly his tasteful and imaginative variations in the repeats.

I agree, I noticed that (hard not to)

JBS

Amazon US gives the release date as October 11
[asin] B07TMRSB9D[/asin]

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk