New Releases

Started by Brian, March 12, 2009, 12:26:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

André

Quote from: SurprisedByBeauty on September 17, 2019, 07:44:31 AM
Denon & MDG start Partnership

Love those classic DENON recordings but bummed out that they are OOP (except in Aisa)? Good news! MDG & Denon partner and MDG will re-issue them for the rest of the world!

First one in their new series? This dark-horse candidate for Best #Bruckner Seventh! (Plus Fourth)

It is indeed the best 7th !

Kontrapunctus

Quote from: JBS on September 17, 2019, 09:49:11 AM
Amazon US gives the release date as October 11
[asin] B07TMRSB9D[/asin]
I heard him play the 3rd with the LA Phil and Dudamel--it was electrifying, so I have high hopes for this release.

aukhawk

Quote from: (: premont :) on September 17, 2019, 08:24:31 AM
Quote from: Mandryka on September 15, 2019, 10:35:12 PM

Very well recorded, with the texture of the bow on the strings captured beautifully. The performance give an initial impression of being thoughtful and expressive.
I enjoy particularly his tasteful and imaginative variations in the repeats.

Yes I too like what little I've listened to so far - visceral recording, lots of ornamentation which puts him in Lipkind territory, no bad thing at all.  Look forward to listening to more Bach from Francesco Galligioni.

Paul_Thomas

Quote from: JBS on September 17, 2019, 09:49:11 AM
Amazon US gives the release date as October 11
[asin] B07TMRSB9D[/asin]

Looks like Danny's managed to get an upgrade to First Class from his Departure CD!

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Todd

Hello.

Yes, please.

Also, no image yet, but Schubert's D946 and D960 recorded by Dina Ugorskaja is in the pipeline.

Roy Bland

Desyatnikov's 24 Preludes for piano

JBS

Quote from: Roy Bland on September 20, 2019, 04:07:36 PM

The work he did for the Jerusalem Quartet was, if not an instant recommendation, at least worth investigating. It's on their latest CD.

Five Yiddish songs from interwar Poland.

I imagine this is just as worthy of hearing.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Florestan

Quote from: Roy Bland on September 20, 2019, 04:07:36 PM

Just what has Oh, my sweet vast Canada got to do with Bucovina, I wonder?  :laugh:
Si un hombre nunca se contradice será porque nunca dice nada. —Miguel de Unamuno

Todd

60 years, 60 discs.

I'm more interested in this disc for Mr Lifits than Ms Frang.

More new Gesualdo is always a good thing.

More recordings of the Vespers is always a good thing.

An intriguing pairing.

Perhaps I should do a mano a mano pitting Eggertsberger against Volodos.  Wait, I'll throw in Piemontesi as well!  It sure would be swell if Eggertsberger smites the better known pianists, however doubtful that outcome may seem.

Alek Hidell

Quote from: Brian on September 16, 2019, 11:03:21 AM
Coming in November, a new Alkan Symphony for Solo Piano recorded by ... a professional barrister who plays piano as a hobby?!

You're referring to this, it appears:

Quote from: an Australian music store websiteThese fiendishly difficult works are seldom performed and are recorded here by Paul Wee with exceptional colour and panache. This is particularly remarkable given that Paul's main job is as a London barrister!

Paul trained both as a lawyer and a concert pianist but ultimately decided to follow law as his career and keep piano playing as his 'love'.

Interesting ...
"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist." - Hélder Pessoa Câmara

Madiel

Quote from: Alek Hidell on September 21, 2019, 08:00:56 PM

Interesting ...

I wish someone had told me it was possible to do both and get a contract with BIS.

Mind you, it took me years to accept I was actually becoming a "lawyer"...
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Ken B

Few people are aware that Van Cliburn used to write amicus curiae briefs as a hobby.

Kontrapunctus

Quote from: Alek Hidell on September 21, 2019, 08:00:56 PM

Interesting ...
Does he really think he can seriously challenge Marc-Andre Hamelin, John Ogdon, Vincent Maltempo, Jack Gibbons, Raymond Lewenthal, or Ronald Smith, to name a few?

Madiel

Quote from: Toccata&Fugue on September 21, 2019, 10:32:48 PM
Does he really think he can seriously challenge Marc-Andre Hamelin, John Ogdon, Vincent Maltempo, Jack Gibbons, Raymond Lewenthal, or Ronald Smith, to name a few?

It doesn't matter what he thinks. It matters what BIS thinks.

I also note that they, unlike you I'm guessing, have actually heard him play. Talking about this like it's some kind of private vanity project ignores that this is being issued by a serious record label.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Florestan

Quote from: Todd on September 21, 2019, 03:21:21 PM

The cover reads like "Cacademy" to me, which is outrageously funny: "caca" in Romanian means the same as in French.  ;D
Si un hombre nunca se contradice será porque nunca dice nada. —Miguel de Unamuno

Florestan

Quote from: Que on September 22, 2019, 12:54:00 AM

I'm surprised that Glossa is embarking on another Monteverdi cycle to compete with their existing one by La Venexiana.

And now it seems there will be competition by Les Arts Florissants!

Q

Monteverdi? The covers read Gesualdo. I'm confused.

Que

Quote from: Florestan on September 22, 2019, 01:40:03 AM
Monteverdi? The covers read Gesualdo. I'm confused.

No, I am (was) confused!  But that was already clear....  :D

Q

akebergv

Quote from: Madiel on September 21, 2019, 11:18:37 PM
It doesn't matter what he thinks. It matters what BIS thinks.

I also note that they, unlike you I'm guessing, have actually heard him play. Talking about this like it's some kind of private vanity project ignores that this is being issued by a serious record label.

This is not a first for BIS. Fredrik Ullén, with an impressive discography of "unplayable" piano repertoire by composers like Sorabji and Ligeti, is a researcher in neuroscience during the week (as BIS boss Robert von Bahr never tires of stressing).

Madiel

Quote from: akebergv on September 22, 2019, 04:03:15 AM
This is not a first for BIS. Fredrik Ullén, with an impressive discography of "unplayable" piano repertoire by composers like Sorabji and Ligeti, is a researcher in neuroscience during the week (as BIS boss Robert von Bahr never tires of stressing).

It's almost as if some human beings are capable of being competent at more than one thing. Who'd have thought?

EDIT: I have at least some kind of formal qualification in law, science and music. Sometimes it confuses people.