New Releases

Started by Brian, March 12, 2009, 12:26:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

San Antone and 7 Guests are viewing this topic.

SymphonicAddict

If there is a symphony I don't know yet, then it will be of my interest!

ritter

Quote from: SymphonicAddict on October 16, 2019, 03:17:52 PM
If there is a symphony I don't know yet, then it will be of my interest!

Now that looks interesting! I know excerpts of the late opera Pallas Athene weint, but this orchestral symphony should give a more coherent view of the music. The Potpourri is much earlier, and already avaialbale on a CPO disc (along with Symphony No. 3). The other two pieces are new to the recorded catalogue, AFAIK. Thanks for posting this!  :)

North Star

Released in a week in Amazon Europe, samples are available
[asin]B07TNVWMQY[/asin]
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Mirror Image

Quote from: North Star on October 18, 2019, 12:14:11 AM
Released in a week in Amazon Europe, samples are available
[asin]B07TNVWMQY[/asin]

She's up against some stiff competition in Ravel's Miroirs, although it's always interesting to hear different pianists perform this piece. You probably know my favorite performances of it. ;)

kyjo

Quote from: Brian on October 14, 2019, 09:20:43 AM
Naxos and the Brazilian government are sponsoring a big series, yeah. To quote Klaus Heymann: "This is a monumental, 5-year undertaking to produce around 30 releases of some 100 works by Brazilian composers, focusing mainly on orchestral repertoire. There will be many first recordings together with the publication of newly edited or first edition scores. Naxos is collaborating with the Cultural Department of Brazil's Ministry of Foreign Affairs, three of the country's leading orchestras and the Brazilian Academy of Music for this exciting development."

How exciting! I really hope they record some music of the criminally neglected (and prolific!) Cláudio Santoro. BIS released an excellent disc of his 4th and 9th symphonies way back in the day but there's been nothing since...
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

North Star

I'm not sure if this one has been mentioned..
[asin]B07QDSMKVV[/asin]
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Mandryka

Quote from: Mandryka on April 07, 2019, 11:16:25 PM

Manuscrit du Puy – XIIe-XVIe siècles
Introïtus Exultantes in partu virginis
Johannes Ockeghem (vers 1420-1497)

Kyrie de la Missa « Fors seulement »
Intemerata Dei Mater
Jean Mouton (1459-1522)
Gloria de la Missa « Quem dicunt homines »
Clément Janequin (1485-1558)
Quand contremont verras
Herbes et fleurs
Bel aubépin verdissant
Le rossignol
Fabrice Caietain (1540-1578)
La terre va les eaux boivant
Pierre Certon (1515-1572)
Vignon, vignette
Clément Janequin (1485-1558)
11.   Etans assis aux rives aquatiques
12.   Sanctus de la Missa super « La bataille »
Jean Mouton (1459-1522)

13.   Nesciens mater virgo virum
Antoine de Févin (1470-1512)
14.   Introïtus de la Missa « Pro fidelibus defunctis » 6'05
Jean Mouton (1459-1522)
15.   Quis dabit oculis nostris
Guillaume Faugues (1442-1475)

16.   Agnus Dei de la Missa « Je suis en la mer »
Anonyme
17.   Dedans la mer

(Baroque style singing of renaissance music, nice enough if that's what you like.)

Too dismissive in April. I mean, what's not to like? This is a lovely disc, sweet and fluid, full of variety, some of the music quite rare, all passionately sung and outstandingly well recorded. Well worth exploring I think.

I've been listening to amateurish singing recently - Ars Antiqua Paris, The Nonesuch Consort. It's quite a shock, a delightful shock, to be presented with a totally slick and professional group of singers  like Ensemble Jacques Moderne!
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

JBS

Quote from: North Star on October 19, 2019, 09:37:40 AM
I'm not sure if this one has been mentioned..
[asin]B07QDSMKVV[/asin]

Confused me a moment...but this is volume 2. Anti-duplicators should remember he's preparing a complete set of RS's lieder.

Meanwhile Amazon helpfully suggested this one
[asin]B07XW8DX2V[/asin]

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Maestro267

Quote from: Brian on October 14, 2019, 09:20:43 AM
Naxos and the Brazilian government are sponsoring a big series, yeah. To quote Klaus Heymann: "This is a monumental, 5-year undertaking to produce around 30 releases of some 100 works by Brazilian composers, focusing mainly on orchestral repertoire. There will be many first recordings together with the publication of newly edited or first edition scores. Naxos is collaborating with the Cultural Department of Brazil's Ministry of Foreign Affairs, three of the country's leading orchestras and the Brazilian Academy of Music for this exciting development."

I'm going to assume the 2012-17 symphony cycle on the same label is part of this series.

JBS

Arkivmusic has a partial listing of the contents here
http://www.arkivmusic.com/classical/album.jsp?album_id=2292995

ETA

Amazon item page . No track listing per their usual routine with not yet released stuff.
[asin]B07XDDHHBG[/asin]

Madiel

What makes you say the Arkivmusic listing is partial?

EDIT: Never mind, I see now that it runs out of steam partway through the chamber music and never gets to the stage or vocal works. Odd.

SECOND EDIT: Naxos' own listing is fairly good at telling you what each disc is. https://www.naxos.com/catalogue/item.asp?item_code=8.500250&boxer=true

Other listings include...

https://fishfinemusic.com.au/8500250

https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/art/ludwig-van-beethoven-beethoven-complete-edition/hnum/9449475

I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Que

Quote from: JBS on October 21, 2019, 05:19:26 PM

Arkivmusic has a partial listing of the contents here
http://www.arkivmusic.com/classical/album.jsp?album_id=2292995

ETA

Amazon item page . No track listing per their usual routine with not yet released stuff.
[asin]B07XDDHHBG[/asin]

Why would anyone bother?  ???

Q

JBS

Quote from: Que on October 22, 2019, 08:55:36 AM
Why would anyone bother?  ???

Q

1) Because it has a bunch of early works, fragments, etc that are rarely if ever recorded, including the original version of Fidelio [Leonore 1805].
2) unlike the Brilliant box, it's almost all Naxos recordings. If I get it I don't need to worry about duplication...I have perhaps three or four of the CDs included.
3) It's priced about the same or less than the Brilliant set, and Arkiv is offering it as a sale item.

Moonfish

I'm not sure if these were mentioned previously..

A rerelease (I presume) of Koopman: Bach's Cantatas

Jan 2020 - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bach-Complete-Cantatas-Vol-1-22/dp/B07XW5WSPN/

as well as Buxtehude

Jan 2020 - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Opera-Omnia-Buxtehude-Collectors-Box/dp/B07XW8DX8G/

"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

Brian

Coming in December, Volume 1 of Naxos' effort to record the complete overtures to Daniel-François-Esprit Auber's 48 staged works (operas, "dramas," etc). Looks like it will be the "Czech Chamber Philharmonic, Pardubice" and conductor Dario Salvi, who is a Meyerbeer and Auber expert.

Mandryka

Mandryka

Now available, initial impressions are that he gets up to some jiggery pockery which makes it more fresh that I expected. I am actually very much enjoying it, but it's probably a reflection of my current mood, nothing more.

San Antone

Quote from: Mandryka on October 26, 2019, 06:57:03 AM

Now available, initial impressions are that he gets up to some jiggery pockery which makes it more fresh that I expected. I am actually very much enjoying it, but it's probably a reflection of my current mood, nothing more.

Who is the performer (I can't make out the name on the CD cover)?  And I  don't know what you mean by "jiggery pockery".

Mandryka

Quote from: San Antone on October 26, 2019, 07:02:24 AM
Who is the performer (I can't make out the name on the CD cover)?  And I  don't know what you mean by "jiggery pockery".

The performer is Christiano Contadin.

Jiggery Pockery is much the same as hanky panky.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dowland-Opera-Consort-Cristiano-Contadin/dp/B07X49B8QK/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=Cristiano+Contadin&qid=1572102195&s=dmusic&sr=1-4

San Antone

Quote from: Mandryka on October 26, 2019, 07:06:27 AM
The performer is Christiano Contadin.

Jiggery Pockery is much the same as hanky panky.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dowland-Opera-Consort-Cristiano-Contadin/dp/B07X49B8QK/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=Cristiano+Contadin&qid=1572102195&s=dmusic&sr=1-4

Thanks for the info.  But I don't know what you are hearing, i.e. "Jiggery Pockery/hanky panky".  I am listening on Spotify and it sounds fairly conventional.  But I could be missing something since I only know Dowland's Lachrimae somewhat superficially.