New Releases

Started by Brian, March 12, 2009, 12:26:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jurek (+ 1 Hidden) and 13 Guests are viewing this topic.

Mirror Image

Coming later on this month:

Daverz

Quote from: Mirror Image on November 10, 2019, 08:37:10 PM
Coming later on this month:

Aw, look, the poor lad hurt his hand playing the thing, you can't not buy it.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Daverz on November 11, 2019, 09:00:46 PM

Yeah, I do wonder about that particular pose. :-\

Brian

Two December things popped up that I hadn't seen before.

Two sonatas by Camillo Schumann and "three recital pieces for Waldhorn and piano," all in world premiere recordings, plus a non-premiere recording of a miniature (Sur la montagne) by Menager.

2 CD set. "These 49 songs were composed between 1997 and 2017 to texts by celebrated poets including Elizabeth Bishop, Paul Celan, Dana Gioia, David Mason, Sylvia Plath, and Joyce Sutphen."

Laitman's publisher is named Enchanted Knickers Inc.

aligreto

Quote from: Daverz on November 11, 2019, 09:00:46 PM

:laugh:

pjme

New from Palazetto Bru-Zane

https://www.youtube.com/v/vvnvcgg8dnshttps://www.youtube.com/v/eSeSO3fXdPE

For those who love Massenet, Dubois, d'Indy - the Schola Cantorum.

André

Quote from: pjme on November 12, 2019, 11:48:08 PM
New from Palazetto Bru-Zane

https://www.youtube.com/v/vvnvcgg8dnshttps://www.youtube.com/v/eSeSO3fXdPE

For those who love Massenet, Dubois, d'Indy - the Schola Cantorum.

The 10cd set has a few extracts of his music and they whet the appetite for more (practically everything does so in this set  ::)). I particularly enjoyed the cello works.

pjme

Could be interesting from "Musique en Wallonie"

Eugène Samuel-Holeman (1863-1942) is a composer forgotten by History of music. Yet his friend, the writer Maurice Maeterlinck (1862 - 1949) had predicted a quite different destiny for him, writing to Gérard Harry in October 1892: "One of my friends here, Eugène Samuel, will, I think, make his mark [...]; he is an aesthete of much subtlety and individuality." This hope remained largely unfulfi lled; there is evidence that Eugène Samuel's highly original music gained a certain degree of recognition in his lifetime, but his name and works soon sank into deep oblivion and remain there to this day. Apart from a few sparse folders of manuscripts preserved in the library of the Brussels Conservatoire, very few documents pertaining to his life survive, so that to understand and piece it together is a task for the historian who must search for any little detail. Born in Ixelles on 30 November 1863, Eugène Samuel-Holeman grew up in the company of intellectuals and artists in Brussels and then Ghent, the milieu frequented by his father, Adolphe Samuel (18241898), a noted composer, a leading light in Belgian musical life and director of Ghent Conservatory (his sixth symphony is available on a Royal Flemish philharmonic Orchestra cd/ Martyn Brabbins conductor).

Eugène Samuel-Holeman : La jeune fille à la fenêtre, Pauline Claes, Mathias Lecomte, Sturm und Klang, Thomas van Haeperen. MEW 1892

https://www.muziekweb.nl/Link/DAX7314/La-jeune-fille-%C3%A0-la-fen%C3%AAtre
For samples.

André

Interesting! I'll try to hear his music, even if only in samples.

I've ordered a few times directly from Musique en Wallonie. T'was the only way to get some discs of Jean Rogister, another quite forgotten composer. Very good service.

Brian

I'm intrigued by the coincidence of these two record labels choosing the exact same typeface/design scheme for their upcoming boxes:

The Academy box is 60 CDs.

Roy Bland

amw

amw

Richard Barrett, Timothy McCormack, Liza Lim

amw

If anyone remembers Węgłowski's Contemporary Jewish Music, this should be self-recommending. Neuwirth is always likely to be interesting as well.

Brian

András Schiff is releasing a new Well-Tempered Clavier...on DVD/Blu-Ray...on Naxos...

San Antone

Quote from: Brian on November 15, 2019, 09:09:32 AM
András Schiff is releasing a new Well-Tempered Clavier...on DVD/Blu-Ray...on Naxos...

Wow - pretty exciting news.  Mandatory acquisition for me.   8)   It doesn't seem that long ago that his WTC on ECM came out .... but maybe it was longer ago than I think.

Florestan

Quote from: Brian on November 13, 2019, 09:35:46 AM
I'm intrigued by the coincidence of these two record labels choosing the exact same typeface/design scheme for their upcoming boxes:

I'm certainly in the market for these boxsets. One can never have too much versions of Beethoven's violin sonatas. And judging by his Mozart set, Say's Beethoven should be something else, moaning&groaning included.
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

Todd

Quote from: Florestan on November 15, 2019, 11:21:57 AM
I'm certainly in the market for these boxsets. One can never have too much versions of Beethoven's violin sonatas. And judging by his Mozart set, Say's Beethoven should be something else, moaning&groaning included.

You may want to consider sampling the below to hear what he can do with Beethoven.  The Concerto is one of the best around with a blockbuster cadenza, and the sonatas are strongly characterized.  He has an earlier Naïve of 31/2, 53, and 57, too.  I expect great things from the set.

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Pat B

Quote from: Brian on November 13, 2019, 09:35:46 AM

But different kerning!

JBS

Not quite a new release...but the Nightingale Quartet recordings of Langaard's string quartets are being issued as a complete set.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk