New Releases

Started by Brian, March 12, 2009, 12:26:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Todd

More Beethoven year reissues.  If I didn't already own the Shoji discs, I'd want them.

The Farrell box may be worth it for the Mitropoulos led Wozzeck alone.

Also, among big boxes, a 17 CD Gyorgy Sandor Columbia/Sony box is coming.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

premont

Quote from: Todd on November 16, 2019, 04:39:25 AM

What is this expected to contain, and is it Japanese release only?
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Todd

Quote from: (: premont :) on November 16, 2019, 07:39:20 AM
What is this expected to contain, and is it Japanese release only?

Contents are listed at HMV Japan.  I don't know release plans.

premont

Quote from: Todd on November 16, 2019, 07:51:41 AM

Contents are listed at HMV Japan.  I don't know release plans.

I did only find the description in Japanese, which I do not understand, and Google translate is unwilling to translate the text. But the set comprises 8 CDs, so five of these are probably his Beethoven / Liszt set.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Todd

Probably gotta have the Rubackyte DSCH/Weinberg.  Definitely gotta have the Abduraimov.

Also gotta haves: a brand new Beethoven Piano Concerto cycle from FFG and the Sinfonia Varsovia, and Prokofiev's War Sonatas from Steven Osborne.  (No images for those yet.)

Roy Bland

dvd

pjme

Brian

Quote from: Todd on November 17, 2019, 03:42:58 PM
Also gotta haves: a brand new Beethoven Piano Concerto cycle from FFG and the Sinfonia Varsovia, and Prokofiev's War Sonatas from Steven Osborne.  (No images for those yet.)
I got your back on the Hyperion.

Also:

The Hough is Opp. 116-19.

betterthanfine

Mandryka

Re-mastered recording, originally published by Da Camera on Vinyl, later by Bayer Records on CD.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Maestro267

Not gonna lie, I fear for the coming year. We are going to be absolutely SWAMPED with Beethoven recordings, old and new. And it's already starting.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Maestro267 on November 20, 2019, 02:35:55 AM
Not gonna lie, I fear for the coming year. We are going to be absolutely SWAMPED with Beethoven recordings, old and new. And it's already starting.

Yeah and it's not like we need more. The market is already flooded with them.

Brian

JANUARY is gonna be a big month because many of the releases that would typically come out in December are pushed back to make way for holiday stuff.

so. JANUARY

By the way, note here that CPO may be solving its issue with releasing recordings 4-5 years after they were made. This was recorded in 2018 and they're getting it out 15 months later.

"In 2015, when Ruby Hughes discovered Clytemnestra by the Welsh composer Rhian Samuel, the work had not been performed since its première some 20 years earlier. Hughes describes the 24-minute score as 'sun-scorched and luscious' as well as 'intensely visceral', but in it she also heard echoes of Gustav Mahler and Alban Berg, two of Samuel's influences. ... Rhian Samuel assembled her own text, based on Aeschylus' tragedy Agamemnon and focusing Clytemnestra's deep anguish at the death of her daughter and her need for revenge."

"Taste the Best"?

Brian

JANUARY CONTINUES

The Widor album is 84:01 long and on the University of Chicago Skinner organ.
It's mystifying to me that PentaTone is releasing two different Beethoven 5s from two different German radio orchestras this season - they just released one with the WDR orchestra, rather than NDR, and Marek Janowski.
Braga Santos' chamber music CD includes his daughter playing viola.

"Tibor Harsányi is always associated with 'L'École de Paris', a loosely knit collection of expatriate composers living in the city, among them Martinů, Tansman and Tcherepnin. He embraced music from a wide variety of sources, notably from North and South America, and this enriched his own music's rhythmic vitality and sense of color. In his piano music, Harsányi drew on diverse source material, a free-spirited absorption of Hungarian traditions, neo-Baroque, the comic and jazz, as can be heard in the 5 Préludes brefs. Baby-Dancing draws on the foxtrot, Boston, czárdás and samba, while La Semaine, seven pieces, one for each day of the week, contains nocturnes of stillness, off-beat folk songs and a wealth of color and verve."

"Svein Hundsnes is one of Norway's most important living composers. He has written a wide-ranging body of music encompassing several vivid styles, moving seamlessly from tonal and non-tonal music to include jazz, rock and even funk. Hundsnes' sequence of Clavinatas – one-movement free-standing pieces with a symmetrical form that often include toccata-like vitality – embody qualities that make his music so distinctive. Often syncopated, they possess short motifs, intensity and emotional ambiguity."

"Nino Rota's 15 Preludes utilise melodic and harmonic explorations to chart music that is agitated and melancholic, but also joyous and comedic. The Fantasia in G comprises seven themes – folkloric, droll and ultimately heroic. A late work, the 7 Pezzi difficili per bambini is generous in its emotional directness."

And finally, man, look at this amazing artist portrait:

André

Thanks for the details and comments, Brian !

Que

Awesome Brian!

And thank you for your diligent postings, much appreciated. :)

Q

The new erato

Me too, I appreciate these postings very much!

HIPster

Quote from: Brian on November 21, 2019, 06:58:04 AM

And finally, man, look at this amazing artist portrait:

I really appreciate it too, Brian!  Thank you. ;)

And yeah, lol on that Mozart cover. . .  :laugh:
Wise words from Que:

Never waste a good reason for a purchase....  ;)

JBS

I need to get that Haydn CD, if only to have a recording by an outfit that calls itself the Poker Club Band.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: JBS on November 21, 2019, 05:45:22 PM
I need to get that Haydn CD, if only to have a recording by an outfit that calls itself the Poker Club Band.

+1.  I just checked out their home page, they look quite intriguing. What they are saying about using a harp rather than a keyboard instrument is very true in the late 1790's. I'm quite looking forward to hearing this one!  :)

thepokerclubband.com

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)