New Releases

Started by Brian, March 12, 2009, 12:26:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Papy Oli

Quote from: Brian on November 21, 2019, 06:58:04 AM

Not sure if it is any good, he seems to be missing the cue ?  :blank:  0:)
Olivier

Mandryka

This contains a sequence of lamentations by Brumel, newly discovered and being created for modern times by Musica Secreta. It's very high quality music and Musica Secreta's way of projecting and making sounds is at least agreeable, charming. There's also a selection of music from a c15 - Josquin, Compère, Anon - which I've not heard yet.

It's good to see that Musica Secreta have put an extensive discussion of the new release on their website, something that Kei Koito did for her new Bach recording. I hope it becomes more of a common practice now that the CD has become so near extinction. Personally I find these things easier to read on a tablet than I ever did in one of those little CD booklets.

https://musicasecreta.com/%20from-darkness-into-light
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Todd

More big box reissues.  The Yudina one is the most eye catching.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Madiel

Quote from: Todd on November 23, 2019, 08:06:08 AM

This looks like the majority of it is the sacred cantatas again? I'd probably be interested in the part that wasn't that.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Maestro267 on November 20, 2019, 02:35:55 AM
Not gonna lie, I fear for the coming year. We are going to be absolutely SWAMPED with Beethoven recordings, old and new. And it's already starting.

Quote from: Mirror Image on November 20, 2019, 12:22:04 PM
Yeah and it's not like we need more. The market is already flooded with them.

Oh yes, a terrible problem indeed!  :laugh:

As much as I admire Beethoven, but I would like to be covered by more variety. I prefer variety to anything else.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Brian

Quote from: Madiel on November 23, 2019, 01:40:59 PM
This looks like the majority of it is the sacred cantatas again? I'd probably be interested in the part that wasn't that.
Well they are releasing a secular cantatas box this month which should cover a lot of the rest.

JBS

Quote from: Brian on November 23, 2019, 03:40:10 PM
Well they are releasing a secular cantatas box this month which should cover a lot of the rest.

It's been out since 1 November; I have it sitting in my listening pile now.

If the price is low enough, I will probably get it even though, realistically, I don't need a fourth set of the cantatas.

ETA

Oh, it's the Passions and Masses and everything else as well, including the above referenced Secular Cantatas I just bought...my interest in it just sputtered out.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

The new erato

The secular cantatas box is ver fine. Superb and compact box, sturdy sleeves ang fine booket. No need to buy the big set if you are well covered in the church cantatas and Passion.

Madiel

Alas, I am Passionless.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Brian on November 21, 2019, 06:58:04 AM
JANUARY CONTINUES

This is interesting to me. But till January? Patience is not one of my virtues.  ;D
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

rmihai

Quote from: Ras on September 06, 2019, 09:11:12 AM
In 2020 we will all celebrate Beethoven's 250th birthday and two major labels - DG and Warner are warming up to the party with huge boxes including everything Beethoven ever composed (I would never buy them, but other people here may feel differently).

29 Nov 2019 --- 80 discs on Warner Classics:

[asin]B07X7D9W6N[/asin]

8 Nov 2019, --- 123 discs - CD+DVD, Box-Set -- Deutsche Grammophon (Universal Music)

[asin]B07S8636CP[/asin]

Anyone knows if Warner did any re-mastering for this set?

Thank you

rmihai

Mandryka

Quote from: San Antone on November 04, 2019, 01:01:38 PM
I am still listening, but my initial reaction has been to not like his tone on the instrument.

The instrument sounds fine to me when you find the right volume level, assuming you're using good playback equipment. I'm finding the recording is rather rewarding.

I'd be interested to hear Awkhawk's thoughts - we're talking about the Bach violin music on shoulder cello played by Mario Brunello.

premont

Quote from: Mandryka on November 27, 2019, 11:15:42 PM
The instrument sounds fine to me when you find the right volume level, assuming you're using good playback equipment. I'm finding the recording is rather rewarding.

I'd be interested to hear Awkhawk's thoughts - we're talking about the Bach violin music on shoulder cello played by Mario Brunello.

Except that Brunello presumably keeps this instrument between his legs and not on the shoulder.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Todd

Contents not yet available, but I may buy for the sure to be beyond SOTA sound.

I'm on the fence; I fear their playing could be equivocal.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

The new erato

Quote from: (: premont :) on November 28, 2019, 01:54:27 AM
Except that Brunello presumably keeps this instrument between his legs and not on the shoulder.
I keep my Brunello between my lips.

Mandryka

Quote from: The new erato on November 28, 2019, 07:08:26 AM
I keep my Brunello between my lips.

I prefer mine to go down my neck

Brian

Mandryka

Quote from: Brian on November 28, 2019, 08:05:50 AM
That's the joke...

Yes but he probably ejects his into a spittoon as he moves on to savour another fine wine, and compare and contrast. I like to glug and get sloshed.

premont

To drink a Brunello is fine
as long it's a wonderful wine,
but still I prefer the Brunello,
who plays the piccolocello.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν