New Releases

Started by Brian, March 12, 2009, 12:26:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mookalafalas

Decca seems to have a new historical mega-box due for March.  55 CDs spanning 1929-2019. 

It's all good...

Mandryka

This is a release of something that has been very hard to obtain, it's on Qobuz, it's a performance which Stockhausen endorsed. The "team" was reassembled in London a few years ago for a Stockhausen festival, and it was a memorable concert.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

amw

I guess these are just gonna be released once a month over the course of the year....

vandermolen

I like the look of this:
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

The new erato

Quote from: amw on January 11, 2020, 09:13:24 AM

I guess these are just gonna be released once a month over the course of the year....
And then a cheap multidisc box in January 2021

Harry

Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

vandermolen

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

And this:

Harry

Quote from: vandermolen on January 12, 2020, 06:38:52 AM
And this:

I already have the Goossens symphonies in another guise, but I admit being attracted by this release. It is just that I and others are tempted all the time by you Jeffrey, in buying such releases, even I fall for this :laugh:
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

steve ridgway

Quote from: Mookalafalas on January 09, 2020, 04:48:58 AM
Decca seems to have a new historical mega-box due for March.  55 CDs spanning 1929-2019. 

"What's your pleasure?" >:D.

vandermolen

Quote from: "Harry" on January 12, 2020, 06:43:59 AM
I already have the Goossens symphonies in another guise, but I admit being attracted by this release. It is just that I and others are tempted all the time by you Jeffrey, in buying such releases, even I fall for this :laugh:
It is not a deliberate policy, my friend, although maybe a subconscious attempt to drag everyone down with me!  ;D

I do rate Goossens highly as a composer however.

I also have the fine ABC recordings of the Goossens symphonies plus the excellent Unicorn LP of Symphony No.1

Daverz

Quote from: vandermolen on January 12, 2020, 06:38:52 AM
And this [Goosens Violin Concerto & Symphony 2]:

Really good.  I already had the Symphony 2 on ABC conducted by Vernon Handley, no less, with the Sydney SO.  Haven't had a chance to compare.

[asin] B07ZWBMYZB[/asin]

Mandryka

Mirror Image

Quote from: 2dogs on January 12, 2020, 09:14:21 AM
"What's your pleasure?" >:D.

Some people won't get the reference, but it would certainly be hell to pay. ;)

Mandryka

Hermann Matthias Werrecore, there's a new name for me. English Cathedral Choir type singing.

vmartell

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 12, 2020, 08:32:08 PM
Some people won't get the reference, but it would certainly be hell to pay. ;)

I don't get it

v

Daverz

Paul_Thomas

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on January 02, 2020, 07:12:47 AM
I can see this one heading my way, as soon as Presto gets it on hand. She's a star in Vienna, and the music itself is uncommonly recorded, especially on period instruments. Sweet!

8)

It's not released until late March unfortunately, but its a really interesting program, a great mix of well-known and obscure repertoire from Beethoven's writing for the soprano voice.

JBS

QuoteLiberty, enthusiasm and sharing: that might well be the motto of the Kitgut Quartet (named for the 'kitgut' or catgut strings it uses), which brings together four outstanding soloists, all of them members of the leading period-instrument European ensembles. This first recording devoted to Haydn and England (Purcell, Locke, Blow) explores the origins of the string quartet via a number of carefully chosen gems. A journey through time with plenty of surprises in store.
harmonia mundi HMM902313
DIGITAL ONLY USA

The Haydn is one string quartet, Opus 71 No 2.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk