New Releases

Started by Brian, March 12, 2009, 12:26:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: vandermolen on January 21, 2020, 04:51:14 AM
Thanks

Well, just so you won't think I have been drinking, I just the moment quoted, then copied your post. I put a couple of spaces into the code so it would stay visible. Here you can see what I see:

Quote from: vandermolen on January 20, 2020, 05:04:40 AM
February release:
[img  ][  /img]

Actually, I get the same result every time you post a picture. Since you use an iPad, and IIRC, Madiel uses an Apple device also, maybe that has something to do with it. I am curious if others have this same issue, and if so, what type device are you using?

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

vandermolen

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on January 21, 2020, 08:08:16 AM
Well, just so you won't think I have been drinking, I just the moment quoted, then copied your post. I put a couple of spaces into the code so it would stay visible. Here you can see what I see:

Actually, I get the same result every time you post a picture. Since you use an iPad, and IIRC, Madiel uses an Apple device also, maybe that has something to do with it. I am curious if others have this same issue, and if so, what type device are you using?

8)

Oh that's interesting Gurn. I'm using a very old Apple iPad model 1458 or 145B - the writing is so tinsy that it's difficult to read. I wonder if anyone else has this experience. Recently I smashed the screen (not deliberately and not drunk) so I wonder if that affected the operation. Perhaps that is the reason why the turntable in the microwave oven won't play my LPs.
8)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Mandryka

Quote from: pjme on January 21, 2020, 04:44:46 AM
I don't understand. can you explain?

Yes, the quote seems to me to suggest that Bach wasn't interested in piano. That's not true, he played one in a private concert in front of royalty no less, and he even tried to sell them.

However the two works on that CD, the second partita and the 5th French suite, were written before Bach had any access to pianos, at least as far as I'm aware. The pieces were written for  harpsichord sounds probably and are distorted by modern piano. This is especially clear in the gigue and capriccio, where the brilliant and rapidly decaying sound of the older instrument seems to go hand in hand with the turbulent and rapidly changing flamboyant hurly-burly of the music.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Brian

MARCH - PART I

D. 960 + D. 946. Get ready for broad timings...the sonata is 21:54 / 10:38 / 4:11 / 9:05 and the pieces are 14:36 / 13:08 / 5:16

7 CDs of the complete Alpha/Zig Zag recordings: "BEETHOVEN, HAYDN, MOZART, SCHUBERT, SATIE, STRAVINSKY, BERG, IVES, WEBERN"

17 CDs: Anima Eterna/Immerseel symphonies, Martynov symphonies arranged by Liszt, Schoonderwoerd concertos, Lubimov/Pashchenko HIP solo recitals. I notice in the booklet that Schoonderwoerd is spelled wrong (easy mistake!) and Symphony No. 1 is listed twice and No. 2 is not listed, which is probably also a typo.

San Antone

Brian

MARCH - PART II

D. 959 / D. 899

A. Panufnik Quartet 2
Moniuszko Quartet 1
Penderecki Quartet 3

"Robert Orledge's research into Debussy's sketches and incomplete drafts has resulted in the unearthing and reconstruction of numerous lost masterpieces, the piano versions of which are given their première recordings here. Unknown versions of famous pieces such as La Fille aux cheveux de lin and an unused movement from Le Martyre de Saint Sébastien appear alongside the ecstatic Prélude de l'Histoire de Tristan. This uniquely valuable programme also includes the life-affirming suite for No-ja-li (Le Palais du Silence) with narration."

An Argentinian composer

"Oregon Symphony and Carlos Kalmar continue their acclaimed Aspects of America series with this second instalment, featuring three symphonic works that were all awarded a Pulitzer Prize. Walter Piston's Symphony No. 7 (Pulitzer Prize 1961) is a pastoral and jubilant glorification of nature, while Morton Gould's Stringmusic (Pulitzer Prize 1995) was composed for star cellist Rostropovich, and showcases all possible sounds and colors of the string orchestra. In his Symphony No. 4 "Requiem" (Pulitzer Prize 1944), Howard Hanson explores the mysteries of life and death in an American musical idiom that simultaneously reveals the composer's Nordic roots."

That's a chamber string orchestra arrangement of the Mussorgsky.

Brian

A few stragglers and a reissue.

Late romanticism stands alongside impressionism and (formerly) music from the 2nd Viennese school. In world-famous works such as Massenets Méditation or Debussys Rêverie, Daniel Hope shows once again the large, warm violin that established him in the top group of internationally renowned violinists.
On Belle Époque there are also rarely heard or almost unknown masterpieces by composers such as Schönberg, Rachmaninoff or Elgar, which also convey the warm, melancholic and sometimes bittersweet resigned mood that was often characteristic of the music of the time. 
For Daniel Hope, however, the key work on the album is Ernest Chausson's concerto for violin, piano and string quartet, which he recorded here for the first time in a version for string orchestra with the Zurich Chamber Orchestra.

JBS

Quote from: vandermolen on January 21, 2020, 08:28:45 AM
Oh that's interesting Gurn. I'm using a very old Apple iPad model 1458 or 145B - the writing is so tinsy that it's difficult to read. I wonder if anyone else has this experience. Recently I smashed the screen (not deliberately and not drunk) so I wonder if that affected the operation. Perhaps that is the reason why the turntable in the microwave oven won't play my LPs.
8)

I see them as attachments, but not as images in the actual post.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Florestan

Quote from: JBS on January 21, 2020, 09:39:21 AM

Same here. I use laptops only.
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

steve ridgway

My iPad shows them as images in the body of the post and also as attachments. Standards are a good thing - but there are so many to choose from ::).

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Brian on January 21, 2020, 08:50:20 AM
MARCH - PART I

I have the 9th from this set, it is really very nice. Jens wrote a highly complimentary review of it, and he was there at the concert that was recorded.

The Tartini looks very interesting. I have a bunch of Tartini concertos (much of that set on Dynamic), but could well hop on this one anyway.   :)

8)

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Florestan on January 21, 2020, 09:45:22 AM
Same here. I use laptops only.

I use a very modern desktop with Win 10 and Chrome browser. I don't even see the link, just what I posted earlier, without the spaces in the code.  It's a mystery, I tells ya!

8)

JBS

Two different recordings of Grieg's violin sonatas at once? Is there a Grieg anniversary I missed?

Weinberg seens to be getting lots of attention now. I have the Flute Concertos CD on Naxos, and they are good...but I don't think I need a second performance of them.

Mirror Image

Quote from: JBS on January 21, 2020, 12:21:37 PMWeinberg seens to be getting lots of attention now. I have the Flute Concertos CD on Naxos, and they are good...but I don't think I need a second performance of them.

The record labels just switched Weinberg for Shostakovich. Quite frankly, I'm a little tired of seeing all of the new Weinberg recordings and not because I'm not huge fan, but because there's so much repertoire that hasn't been touched in years or even recorded at all.

Mirror Image

That new recording coming in March of Hindemith's Kammermusik Nos. 1-3 (with Eschenbach) looks interesting. These works don't get a lot of attention. I believe there have been four complete cycles of the Kammermusik (and Hindemith aficionados correct me if I'm wrong): Abbado, Chailly, Concerto Amsterdam, and...the guy on CPO (Albert?).

vandermolen

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on January 21, 2020, 12:13:17 PM
I use a very modern desktop with Win 10 and Chrome browser. I don't even see the link, just what I posted earlier, without the spaces in the code.  It's a mystery, I tells ya!

8)

Thanks guys for the feedback. I'll try to make it clear what I'm referring to and not just show the image if I remember.

The Bernstein 'Jeremiah' and 'Age of Anxiety' (BIS) looks interesting but do I really need another copy of those works? That is the question.  ???
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

ritter

Quote from: vandermolen on January 21, 2020, 01:22:33 PM
...but do I really need another copy of those works? That is the question.  ???
L'énigme éternelle indeed... ;)

Brian

Quote from: JBS on January 21, 2020, 12:21:37 PM
Two different recordings of Grieg's violin sonatas at once? Is there a Grieg anniversary I missed?
That definitely perplexed me a bit.

Sidebar: is there a Grieg violin sonata set that is considered the benchmark/definitive?

vandermolen

Quote from: ritter on January 21, 2020, 01:34:25 PM
L'énigme éternelle indeed... ;)

So true! I can't find any reference to the new recording anyway - so that solves that dilemma for now!

JBS

Quote from: Brian on January 21, 2020, 01:35:22 PM
That definitely perplexed me a bit.

Sidebar: is there a Grieg violin sonata set that is considered the benchmark/definitive?

Consulting Wikpedia, 2020 is the 150th anniversary of his meeting with Liszt, which involved the First Violin Sonata
Quote1868, Franz Liszt, who had not yet met Grieg, wrote a testimonial for him to the Norwegian Ministry of Education, which led to Grieg's obtaining a travel grant. The two men met in Rome in 1870. On Grieg's first visit, they went over Grieg's Violin Sonata No. 1, which pleased Liszt greatly. On his second visit in April, Grieg brought with him the manuscript of his Piano Concerto, which Liszt proceeded to sightread (including the orchestral arrangement). Liszt's rendition greatly impressed his audience, although Grieg gently pointed out to him that he played the first movement too quickly. Liszt also gave Grieg some advice on orchestration (for example, to give the melody of the second theme in the first movement to a solo trumpet).[18]

Not exactly momentous unless you are a fan of violin sonatas, I suppose.