New Releases

Started by Brian, March 12, 2009, 12:26:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

j winter

Quote from: mc ukrneal on February 19, 2020, 06:56:57 AM
No coupling? My longest version is 36 minutes, with four of them at 32 minutes (out of 6-7 versions I have). That's either going to be one long interpretation or one really short disc.

Crikey, even Ceilibidache in Munich (at about 37 minutes) paired it with the 4th.... even if you took every repeat possible and milked the heck out of it, I can't imagine how anybody could get past 40 minutes....

I'd also bet it's a short disc -- but if not, I'd be very curious to hear what they've done with it...
The man that hath no music in himself,
Nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds,
Is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils.
The motions of his spirit are dull as night,
And his affections dark as Erebus.
Let no such man be trusted.

-- William Shakespeare, The Merchant of Venice

71 dB

Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

steve ridgway

Quote from: 71 dB on February 19, 2020, 07:19:49 AM
My God this is horrible!  ???

https://www.youtube.com/v/3wiWNAXWnGQ

Crikey, I didn't realise someone had already massacred it  :o.

steve ridgway

I do enjoy Pierre Henry's "Xe Symphonie Remix" though. It just uses snippets of Beethoven to add a bit of atmosphere to a collage of music and sound effects rather than attempting to modify the originals. I can't find a YouTube playlist in order but searching for pierre henry la 10ème symphonie de beethoven will find the various movements.

Here's part 1 (which is probably as much as most of you want) -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAp4jlk6s5I

71 dB

Quote from: steve ridgway on February 19, 2020, 07:49:10 AM
Crikey, I didn't realise someone had already massacred it  :o.

Already??  Someone??  ;D That's just ONE of many! It's the Beethoven 5th! Off course it has been MASSACRED many times!   >:D

Call me surprised when someone makes a techno remix of a work by Jean-Baptiste Krumpholtz!  ;D
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

steve ridgway

Quote from: 71 dB on February 19, 2020, 10:43:19 AM
Already??  Someone??  ;D That's just ONE of many! It's the Beethoven 5th! Off course it has been MASSACRED many times!   >:D

Call me surprised when someone makes a techno remix of a work by Jean-Baptiste Krumpholtz!  ;D

Yes I suppose Beethoven is going to be an obvious target of such efforts :-[.

Florestan

Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

amw

Quote from: Brian on February 19, 2020, 06:42:47 AM
Teodor Currentzis and MusicAeterna will be giving their special treatment to Beethoven's Fifth in a new CD in March. No coupling, just the one symphony.
In any genre but classical this would be called an EP or single rather than an album. Of course I'm pretty sure it will still cost as much as a full length CD.

Their Rite of Spring was also 1 CD, no coupling.

Brian

Are you guys ready for APRIL?

World premiere for the Vasks viola concerto.

The somewhat confusing typeface of the cover conceals that this is Emmanuel Tjeknavorian playing the world premiere recording of Loris Tjeknavorian's violin concerto, in addition to Sibelius.

Brian

and some more

the cello suites of course

Symphonic Addict

The Bacewicz/Tansman, Vasks and Ciurlions are the highlights for me! And the Franck because of Ce qu'on entend sur la montagne. It would be its 2nd recording AFAIK.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

vandermolen

Quote from: Brian on February 19, 2020, 02:14:25 PM
and some more

the cello suites of course
I like the look of the Bernstein, Copland and Gershwin disc.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Brian on February 19, 2020, 02:09:35 PM

This one seems worth looking into. Good Schubert Pianoforte 4-Hands disks are still unfortunately thin on the ground. :)

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

JBS

Is this composer someone I should have heard of before?  I don't recall the name at all

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Mandryka

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Madiel

Quote from: Brian on February 19, 2020, 02:09:35 PM

No. Ask me again in 4-5 weeks.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

JBS

How about June.

An email from PIAS  today announced the last two recordings of the late Stephen Cleobury with the Choir of King's College Cambridge: a St Matthew Passion now being released (stage one, selected tracks, is available for download as of today), and Bruckner's Motets in June.

Madiel

Quote from: JBS on February 21, 2020, 04:28:44 PM
How about June.

I'm still trying to work out what country I'll be in in June! It might be time to say hello to the northern Hemisphere.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

JBS

Quote from: Madiel on February 21, 2020, 04:57:52 PM
I'm still trying to work out what country I'll be in in June! It might be time to say hello to the northern Hemisphere.

You mean, when our wildfire season starts?!

You might want to avoid California, at least.
https://www.ecowatch.com/california-rain-drought-wildfires-2645213849.html

Madiel

I thought California tended to wait until the fall. Sigh.