New Releases

Started by Brian, March 12, 2009, 12:26:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirror Image

Quote from: Madiel on February 21, 2020, 06:46:11 PM
I thought California tended to wait until the fall. Sigh.

Just come move here to Georgia, Madiel. We do get a good bit of rain and some rather erratic weather, but it's much better than smelling smoke.

Mandryka

https://store.consouling.be/products/organic-creatures

Initial impressions on Spotify suggest its worth a listen,  though without the booklet I'm not at all sure what it is. Some of the pieces are labelled "codex Huelgas" "codex Faenza" and such like, some seem to be free new creations.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Madiel

Quote from: Mirror Image on February 21, 2020, 06:51:40 PM
Just come move here to Georgia, Madiel. We do get a good bit of rain and some rather erratic weather, but it's much better than smelling smoke.

Yeah yeah. Occasional hurricanes.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

vers la flamme

Quote from: Madiel on February 22, 2020, 01:17:57 AM
Yeah yeah. Occasional hurricanes.

VERY occasional. And they don't tend to get to us badly all the way up here in the Piedmont. Closer to the water, yes they can be a big problem. Worth seeing our part of the world once in your life, anyway! It's beautiful out here.

Mirror Image

Quote from: vers la flamme on February 22, 2020, 03:49:49 AM
VERY occasional. And they don't tend to get to us badly all the way up here in the Piedmont. Closer to the water, yes they can be a big problem. Worth seeing our part of the world once in your life, anyway! It's beautiful out here.

Indeed. If one lives inland then the threat isn't of much concern. The most we get from hurricanes is rain and perhaps some thunderstorms.

Mandryka

Just come out. Listening to it, I realised how essential it is to hear children's voices in Death is Swallowed Up by Victory, not for musical but for semantic reasons - having kids sing these words shows what the words can mean! The piece has only just been "reconstructed" from surviving sources.

Very well recorded.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Roy Bland

André

Very interesting, thanks for posting that one !

ritter

Quote from: Mandryka on February 27, 2020, 06:38:55 AM
This turns out to be an exceptional release, and a wonderful production too, probably a short run, he who hesitates is lost.
So hesitate I will not:D

Thanks for the tip, Mandryka!

Brian

Hmm. Anne-Marie McDermott will record the Mozart concerto cycle with the Odense Symphony and a revolving door of guest conductors.

Ratliff

Quote from: Madiel on February 21, 2020, 06:46:11 PM
I thought California tended to wait until the fall. Sigh.

There can be fires at any time of year, but late summer to autumn are the prime season. The worst fires tend to be in wet years, because a lot of vegetation grows and becomes fuel during the summer and autumn, which are dry even in wet years.

Carlo Gesualdo

Fairly new release of 2019, release 2020 I guess, behold this -Music For Milan Cathedral, Featuring:Werecore, Josquin, Caffurius,Weerbeke, ensemble Siglo Di Oro(Patrick Allies). Great recording , very well put and well done, It's a surprise I took a guess, I was right, this finding grow on me now.

Florestan

There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Brian

Quote from: Florestan on February 28, 2020, 12:48:32 PM
Who?
Acclaimed Prokofiev sonata cycle and a very no-nonsense Chopin CD are some of her past highlights.

Roy Bland

amw

I am unaware whether Thomas Adès and the Britten Sinfonia plan to also record symphonies 4-9 and other Beethoven-themed works by Gerald Barry (there are quite a few) but it is at least a likelihood. 17 April for downloads

Brian

Couple more interesting things in April (was searching to see if there was a press release about the Ades Beethoven - not yet, darn):

- Nicolas Altstaedt and Alexander Lonquich team up for Beethoven's complete cello sonatas (Alpha)
- Fabrice Bollon continues his Alberic Magnard series on Naxos with a collection of overtures, hymns, and Suite d'orchestre dans le style ancien
- Dacapo is reissuing the complete recordings of Denmark's King Frederik IX as conductor
- SWR is re-boxing the Norrington II Beethoven cycle
- Having completed Langgaard's quartets, the Nightingale Quartet is moving on to a complete Holmboe quartet series
- Naxos is releasing "Winning Works from the 2018 Huang Zi International Chinese Piano Composition Competition"

EDIT;

Bit oddly, the last CD of the Cluytens reissue puts the Ruins of Athens overture after the Ninth Symphony.

Florestan

Quote from: Brian on February 28, 2020, 02:41:22 PM
Acclaimed Prokofiev sonata cycle and a very no-nonsense Chopin CD are some of her past highlights.

Thanks. Sounds interesting, especially the Chopin.
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

André

I'm not sure of this has been mentioned:

Interesting program, and a generous one at that - over 80 minutes, I think. Contents:
https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/8732441--debussy-rameau