New Releases

Started by Brian, March 12, 2009, 12:26:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Todd

Quote from: Brian on May 04, 2017, 11:43:59 AMTODD ALERT

''The Stabat Mater of Pergolesi has fascinated me from the beginning: both the powerful lyrics, and also the music, which not only underlines the text effectively, but has independently in itself as well a great effect. The music is so deeply touching that I felt a great desire to play this on the piano und to rewrite the music. Whilst I was rewriting the Stabat Mater, I had periods of great enthusiasm for the work, yet then there were also days, when I couldn't even continue, because of a deep sadness that had seized me. And when I then practiced the Stabat Mater for the recording of the album, that some thing happened to me again. But the piece has a wonderful turning point, when it speaks about the glory of Paradise at the end, the protection that comes from the cross and with it the mercy of Christ. All of this is audible as well in the music. The differences and the character of the single stanzas get well emphasized by the music. The piece's resolution showing the glory of Paradise, as well as the Amen are wonderful highlights and finishing poitns for the great work.'' (Marie-Luise Hinrichs)

Noted.  Signed up for an email notice from Amazon Germany so I will be notified as to when I may pre-order. 
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Brian

A quick note on Naxos' upcoming Copland Symphony No. 3 with the Detroit Symphony and Leonard Slatkin:

"There are few works as iconic as Aaron Copland's Symphony No. 3. Some even consider it the finest work in symphonic form by an American composer. What is less known is that after consultation with Leonard Bernstein, Copland made alterations to a few passages in this work. Only recently has the original version been made available to musicians. Most striking among these changes is the elongated coda, which adds a broader and richer palette of sonority to the already boisterous proceedings. It is this original version that we have chosen to record." (from the conductor)

Mirror Image

I have no idea when this is coming out, but found the cover on Amazon:

Todd

Another Gieseking box for some reason.  Maybe now I finally get his 48.

DG is also doing some straight reissues of Original Masters boxes.  I may go for the seven disc Askenase Chopin box this time around.

Todd

Should be unique.  Could be good.

[asin]B071D53998[/asin]

Does the world need another Haydn piano sonata cycle?  If it's played on a Steingraeber, it does.

Paul_Thomas

From the 2013 Proms, the Halle's recording of Parsifal with John Tomlinson (Gurnemanz), Lars Cleveman (Parsifal) & Katarina Dalayman.

ritter

And more Wagner...last year's new production of Parsifal from Bayreuth:

Announced for July 21st.

Spineur

Latest Palazetto Bru Zane

And from Musique en Wallonie

Mirror Image

Heads up Walton fans:

I'm not a huge fan of Walton's music, but this seems to be a continuation of Brabbins' recording of the two symphonies.

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 12, 2017, 07:48:42 PM
Heads up Walton fans:

I'm not a huge fan of Walton's music, but this seems to be a continuation of Brabbins' recording of the two symphonies.
Looks like a fine release although I wish that it featured the Viola Concerto instead of the Violin Concerto. Hyperion often have great cover designs.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on May 13, 2017, 12:23:58 AM
Looks like a fine release although I wish that it featured the Viola Concerto instead of the Violin Concerto. Hyperion often have great cover designs.

Hyperion already has a great performance of Walton's Viola Concerto in their catalog of course (w/ Lawrence Power). Yes, this is rather nice looking cover indeed.

Mr. Minnow

Quote from: Que on March 24, 2017, 12:54:11 PM

Q

Has anyone else got this? I just picked it up and noticed a low buzzing in the opening track on the first disc. I can't hear it in online samples so I briefly wondered if I had a faulty disc but I think the buzzing is too regular to be a fault - it's not present in the opening chant, occurs in the fanfare, disappears in the quieter sections and reappears when the fanfare recurs, so I assume it's a particular instrument which only plays during the fanfare sections. Anyone know what it is?

amw

One of the great Beethoven cycles seems to be back, as of last month. No idea whether it's remastered or whatever, although presumably.

Spineur

Quote from: amw on May 13, 2017, 08:59:25 PM

One of the great Beethoven cycles seems to be back, as of last month. No idea whether it's remastered or whatever, although presumably.
These recordings have now been remastered from the original tapes in 24BIT-96kHz digital sound.
It does not say whether it is still mono

71 dB

Quote from: Spineur on May 13, 2017, 11:03:28 PM
These recordings have now been remastered from the original tapes in 24BIT-96kHz digital sound.

96 kHz/24 bit resolution makes hardly any difference even with modern recordings and with historical recordings it's complete waste of bits. The gear they use to remaster these recordings happens to be 96 kHz/24 bit so that's what they use. Of course they mention it on the CD cover, because most people don't understand a thing about digital audio and believe bigger number means automatically better sound.  ::)

The important thing is what they have done to remaster the recording. What have they done with the noise? Have they filtered the sound? That's what determines the result with historical recordings, not the sampling rate or bit depth (as long as they are at least 44.1 kHz/16 bit).
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

king ubu

Quote from: Spineur on May 12, 2017, 03:07:38 AM
Latest Palazetto Bru Zane

There's already a review out (in French):
http://www.classiquenews.com/cd-critique-saint-saens-proserpine-1887-veronique-gens-frederic-antoun-andrew-foster-williams-ulf-schirmer-2-cd-pal-bru-zane-2016/
And I have it on order now  :)

Quote from: Spineur on May 13, 2017, 11:03:28 PM

Yes, mono. I'll never get the categoric "no" that many here seem to have if it's mono. Has been out for a while, it's on my piles, still need to really dig into the Beethoven SQs, not yet sure which cycle will be my starting point (or if I opt to go opus by opus, comparing various recordings - that's more my usual procedure).
Es wollt ein meydlein grasen gan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Und do die roten röslein stan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich mehr, du hast dein ehr.
Kannstu nit, ich wills dich lern.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

http://ubus-notizen.blogspot.ch/

Spineur

Quote from: king ubu on May 14, 2017, 04:59:36 AM
There's already a review out (in French):
http://www.classiquenews.com/cd-critique-saint-saens-proserpine-1887-veronique-gens-frederic-antoun-andrew-foster-williams-ulf-schirmer-2-cd-pal-bru-zane-2016/
And I have it on order now  :)
there is another very positive review on forumopera

http://www.forumopera.com/cd/proserpine-lage-dor-des-grandes-horizontales

but I am even more eagerly awaiting your review !

Yes, mono. I'll never get the categoric "no" that many here seem to have if it's mono.
For a string quartet, it is nice to have some spatialization of sound.  My dad had the budapest LP.  So this was the entry point I had in what I consider one of the greatest creation of mankind.  I did pursue it with the Guarneri, the Alban Berg, the Italiano and most recently the Jerusalem.

This is a fantastic cycle to hear performed live too.  Anyway, with a pile of Beethoven SQ to listen to, I would say you are going to be busy and happy !

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 13, 2017, 06:19:49 AM
Hyperion already has a great performance of Walton's Viola Concerto in their catalog of course (w/ Lawrence Power). Yes, this is rather nice looking cover indeed.
Yes, I have that one John - with the Rubbra VC I think.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on May 14, 2017, 06:24:57 AM
Yes, I have that one John - with the Rubbra VC I think.

Yep, the Rubbra is on there as well.

king ubu

Quote from: Spineur on May 14, 2017, 05:26:58 AM
there is another very positive review on forumopera

http://www.forumopera.com/cd/proserpine-lage-dor-des-grandes-horizontales

but I am even more eagerly awaiting your review !
Oy vey! That may take a few years ... I've started collecting these Bru Zane/Ediciones singulares sets a while ago but haven't heard most of them at all yet (I found out about them when discplus was still operating, and they had some of them on sale for ridiculous prices every now and then).

Quote from: Spineur on May 14, 2017, 05:26:58 AM
For a string quartet, it is nice to have some spatialization of sound.  My dad had the budapest LP.  So this was the entry point I had in what I consider one of the greatest creation of mankind.  I did pursue it with the Guarneri, the Alban Berg, the Italiano and most recently the Jerusalem.

This is a fantastic cycle to hear performed live too.  Anyway, with a pile of Beethoven SQ to listen to, I would say you are going to be busy and happy !
Okay, I can see the spatialisation (sp?) aspect of course, but it wouldn't keep me from buying if the version is good (or rather: if I think it'll be down my alley and I want to get it). I've heard Op. 131 in concert a few months ago, as played by the Takacs Quartet (with GioCar) and it was eye- and ear-opening to me! However, I do these kinds of things in long--running "projects", and I have two that have been on pause for lack of time and need for other music (Bruckner symphonies and Haydn quartets - to be followed up by Mahler symphonies and Mozart and then Beethoven quartets - that's the plan at least, the symphonies part may take a detour to Tchaikovsky and Dvorák and repetition rounds with Schumann, Mendelssohn and Brahms before I proceed ... and I may also want to go with Liszt and other non-symphonic romantic orchestra stuff before landing with Mahler's - this will all take a few years of course).

For spatialisation and figuring out what exactly is happening, I think concerts are the only real thing anyway though. Maybe when gaining more experience and exposure I will have an easier time figuring out voices and all that, but so far, it's really attending concerts that helps me most there ... I have seen Zinman do Mahler 6 with the Tonhalle - so I'm not staying away from repertoire I've not arrived yet at home, when I have the chance to grab it in concert ... for the next Tonhalle season I have ordered tickets for Welser-Möst doing Bruckner 8, I may have to skip (due to travelling) Haitink with Bruckner 4 (and before that w/Pires in KV 595), and Rattle doing Mahler 9 with the LSO ... so I keep on keeping on and have some live experience to count on when I start listening at home.
Es wollt ein meydlein grasen gan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Und do die roten röslein stan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich mehr, du hast dein ehr.
Kannstu nit, ich wills dich lern.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

http://ubus-notizen.blogspot.ch/