New Releases

Started by Brian, March 12, 2009, 12:26:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Papy Oli, Roasted Swan and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.

ritter

AFAIK, this recent release (June 2017) has not yet been mentioned here:

Michaël Levinas (son of the philosopher Emmanuel)  is a very interesting composer IMHO, apart from being a gifted pianist (his recording of the complete Beethoven sonatas is highly regarded, and I was very impressed when I heard him play No. 14 and No. 32 live here in Madrid some three years ago). He already has several operas in his output, including a great adaptation of Jean Genet's Les Nègres, as well as a work based on Kafka's The Metamorphosis).

This apparently is the first opera in French to be based on Saint-Exupèry's Le petit prince, and was well received at its world premiere in Lausanne in 2014 (followed by performances in Lille, Paris and Geneva).

Todd

There is no image is available yet, but there is a new Krystian Zimerman recording of Schubert's D959 and D960 scheduled for release in September.

Also coming on DG, a 57 CD box of all of the recordings made by the Boston Symphony Orchestra for the label.

For Liszt fans, one Martin Karlicek has recorded the complete Harmonies, but it will be released on Livenotes, so that means Japanese market only. 
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Karl Henning

Quote from: ritter on July 10, 2017, 05:32:38 AM
This apparently is the first opera in French to be based on Saint-Exupèry's Le petit prince [....]

That strikes me as strange—such a popular, iconic work.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

kishnevi

Kissin, Hewitt and Osborne all into the shopping cart.

Does Radulovic solo in both the VC and the RV?  (I am totally unfamiliar with him.  In fact, were it not for the beard, I would be, based on the name, unsure if the proper pronoun to use was the masculine singular.)

Drasko

Quote from: Todd on July 10, 2017, 05:41:28 AM
There is no image is available yet, but there is a new Krystian Zimerman recording of Schubert's D959 and D960 scheduled for release in September.

Wow, new Zimerman recording, seems like a minor miracle these days. I'll be getting that as soon as it gets released, Kissin as well. Good to see Kissin record again, Chopin Ballades I heard from him live few years ago were were much preferable to his old recording. I thought he got bit less fussy and with more overall arc in those.  Maybe I'll even get Radulovic, he is much better violinist than his twee twilight goth styling might suggest. DG seem to be on the move.

Todd

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on July 10, 2017, 07:41:18 AMDoes Radulovic solo in both the VC and the RV?  (I am totally unfamiliar with him.  In fact, were it not for the beard, I would be, based on the name, unsure if the proper pronoun to use was the masculine singular.)

I'm thinking he does.  Radulović is a Serbian violinist whose Decca and DG recordings have been mostly regional market items.  He came to my attention because he has recorded with Laure Favre-Kahn.  I've been waiting for a disc with the right rep before splurging.  He has a Bach disc out, but I'm iffy on that, as well as on this.  Now, if he does Brahms or more Beethoven or Bartok or Prokofiev, I won't need any convincing.

Brian

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on July 10, 2017, 07:41:18 AM
Does Radulovic solo in both the VC and the RV?  (I am totally unfamiliar with him.  In fact, were it not for the beard, I would be, based on the name, unsure if the proper pronoun to use was the masculine singular.)
The cover's "Double Sens" is a chamber music group he founded, so it seems to be a weird new arrangement? And a little googling shows he is best-known for wearing leather pants onstage and doing ABBA covers.

Todd

Quote from: Draško on July 10, 2017, 07:45:20 AMWow, new Zimerman recording, seems like a minor miracle these days.

Indeed.  Zimerman releases are reflexive purchases for me. 

kishnevi

Quote from: Brian on July 10, 2017, 07:48:33 AM
The cover's "Double Sens" is a chamber music group he founded, so it seems to be a weird new arrangement? And a little googling shows he is best-known for wearing leather pants onstage and doing ABBA covers.

His website doesn't mention the Tchaikovsky CD yet.

He has a Youtube channel, but no sign of the Rococco Variations there.
Someone mixed into his playlist a video of a martial arts fighter with the same name.  But not the same hairdo and without the leather pants.

Todd

[asin]B071WN18YL[/asin]

Fazil Say's next release is indeed Chopin's Nocturnes.  I hope he keeps up his current burst of recording productivity.

Also, in addition to the Schubert sonata set, there will be a complete Mozart sonata set from Paul Badura-Skoda out in September.

2017 is a good year for piano releases.

snl0609

The Midwest Chamber Ensemble just released its second CD "Forevermore Spohr" which includes the Nonet and the first movement of the Octet.  I am biased but we have gotten very feedback on the project.  Attached is a press release with details.

Steve N. Lewis, Jr., MM
Music Director, Midwest Chamber Ensemble
Music Director, Medical Arts Symphony of Kansas City
Music Director, Lutheran Church of the Resurrection
http://stevelewisconductor.com/
Compositions and arrangements published by Cimarron Music and Strikeclef
Midwest Chamber Ensemble's Recordings
Cell: (919) 920-6987

Todd

Michael Endres recorded Faure's Barcarolles in late May.  No release date set yet, but hopefully there won't be a lengthy delay like with his Mendelssohn.

king ubu

Quote from: Todd on July 12, 2017, 12:00:42 PM
[asin]B071WN18YL[/asin]

Fazil Say's next release is indeed Chopin's Nocturnes.  I hope he keeps up his current burst of recording productivity.

Also, in addition to the Schubert sonata set, there will be a complete Mozart sonata set from Paul Badura-Skoda out in September.

2017 is a good year for piano releases.

Yay! Say/Chopin has been noted before but I'm really looking forward!

PBS/Mozart: what will that be? Fortepiano or modern?  I recently managed to acquire the naïve series ...
Es wollt ein meydlein grasen gan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Und do die roten röslein stan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich mehr, du hast dein ehr.
Kannstu nit, ich wills dich lern.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

http://ubus-notizen.blogspot.ch/

eljr

Quote from: ritter on July 10, 2017, 05:32:38 AM

I have never seen this cover.

I have this.

where was this used? Japan, Europe?

Much better cover.

"You practice and you get better. It's very simple."
Philip Glass

king ubu

Quote from: eljr on July 13, 2017, 03:19:55 AM
I have never seen this cover.

I have this.

where was this used? Japan, Europe?

Much better cover.

Well, that:

is Vol. 1, the new one is Vol. 2 - just checked the Hyperion site about this:
http://www.hyperion-records.co.uk/a.asp?a=A542

The first one is actually my only Hewitt disc so far and is pretty nice indeed, I might go for the new one.
Es wollt ein meydlein grasen gan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Und do die roten röslein stan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich mehr, du hast dein ehr.
Kannstu nit, ich wills dich lern.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

http://ubus-notizen.blogspot.ch/

Karl Henning

Quote from: snl0609 on July 12, 2017, 01:33:31 PM
The Midwest Chamber Ensemble just released its second CD "Forevermore Spohr" which includes the Nonet and the first movement of the Octet.  I am biased but we have gotten very feedback on the project.  Attached is a press release with details.

Steve N. Lewis, Jr., MM
Music Director, Midwest Chamber Ensemble
Music Director, Medical Arts Symphony of Kansas City
Music Director, Lutheran Church of the Resurrection
http://stevelewisconductor.com/
Compositions and arrangements published by Cimarron Music and Strikeclef
Midwest Chamber Ensemble's Recordings
Cell: (919) 920-6987

Congratulations, Steve.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

ritter

Orfeo will be releasing the 1959 Bayreuth Der fliegende Holländer in August. The cast includes Josef Greindl, Leonie Rysanek, George London, Fritz Uhl and Res Fischer, under Wolfgang Sawallisch. I suppose it is the same performance that appeared on the bootleg Golden Melodram label years ago, but would presume the sound will be vastly better this time around.

I believe this was the first year of Wieland Wagner's production that used the 3-act version with pauses between the acts, and that was later recorded (in 1961) by Phlips with Franz Crass and Anja Silja (a recording that is included in the big Decca Bayreuth box). London and Rysanek, of course, recorded their roles in the studio under Antál Doráti for Decca.

No cover yet, I'm afraid.

André

I think this may have been posted before:

Deccas has just issued Barenboim's Gerontius. it was originally cast with Jonas Kaufmann and Sarah Connolly (+ Thomas Hampson) but recast after defections with Andrew Staples and Catherine Wyn-Rogers (Hampson remains).

Presto Classical raves on the result. Article and sound clips here: http://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/r/Decca/4831585?utm_source=News-2017-07-14&utm_medium=email

I think I'll indulge. :)

eljr

Quote from: king ubu on July 13, 2017, 03:22:23 AM

Well, that:

is Vol. 1, the new one is Vol. 2 - just checked the Hyperion site about this:
http://www.hyperion-records.co.uk/a.asp?a=A542

The first one is actually my only Hewitt disc so far and is pretty nice indeed, I might go for the new one.

Ok, thanks.

To add to the confusion, it is not released till September... so when I looked around the web, I found nothing....
"You practice and you get better. It's very simple."
Philip Glass

Todd

Lots of PBS this fall.