New Releases

Started by Brian, March 12, 2009, 12:26:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JBS and 6 Guests are viewing this topic.

Karl Henning

Quote from: Madiel on June 21, 2018, 02:50:49 AM
Also, I'm slightly disgusted that a recital of contemporary Danish accordion music doesn't include what is basically the only accordion piece I know and love, which just happens to be both contemporary and Danish.

Well? Spill it!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Madiel

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on June 21, 2018, 03:06:14 AM
Well? Spill it!

I've spilled it before in another thread, and of course this just made me go looking for it again.

He's got the Youtube clip on his website, now. AND the sheet music!

http://www.demurashkin.com/tango-organico.html
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Mandryka

(Listenable Scarlatti)
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Karl Henning

Quote from: Mandryka on June 21, 2018, 11:47:16 PM
(Listenable Scarlatti)

(Seems a mighty low threshold.)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Mandryka

QuoteEnsemble Vintage Koln together with virtuoso violinist Ariadne Daskalakis present a modern concert version of J.S. Bach's Musical Offering BWV 1079.

German composer Sebastian Gottschick arranged Bach's works by adding pizzicati to the slow movement of the trio sonata, creating two new pieces from Bach's material and finally combining all of these works to produce a contemporary concert version. Ariadne Daskalakis and her Ensemble Vintage Cologne present this modern concert version by Gottschick as well as the missing original versions by Bach. The musicians adapt perfectly to the particular stylistic context with their emotional and original performance.

Mandryka

Binchois Consort Frye and Dunstable etc,

Mandryka

Andrés Alberto Gómez Rueda plays Scarlatti (my initial impression is rather positive, intelligent and thoughtful playing, good selection, it's on Spotify)

Mandryka

Martin Eastwell plays some lute music, I like it very much. The music is very introspective and poignant, he plays a lovely lute. The record coincides with the publication of a facsimile the source.

1 Jakob Reys
2 Du Gast
3 Jakob Reys
4 Robert Johnson
5 Robert Johnson
6 John Dowland
7 Daniel Batcheler
8 Daniel Batcheler
9 Daniel Batcheler
10 Diomedes Cato
11 Gauthier
12 Daniel Batcheler
13 Daniel Batcheler
14 Henri de L'Enclos or Jacob Reys
15 Cuthbert Hely
16 Jakob Reys
17 Jakob Reys
18 Luc or Pierre Despond
19 Cuthbert Hely
20 Edward, Lord Herbert

Brian

Since we don't have an "upcoming release" thread: BIS has just recorded Saariaho's new violin concerto with Peter Herresthal as soloist and the Oslo Philharmonic.

Kontrapunctus

Mahlerian

Two Milton Babbitt releases recently:

The first one has a new version of Philomel (and the tape part sounds a lot better here than on the old Beardslee recording), and the second one two short piano works: Post-Partitions and Overtime.
"l do not consider my music as atonal, but rather as non-tonal. I feel the unity of all keys. Atonal music by modern composers admits of no key at all, no feeling of any definite center." - Arnold Schoenberg

Brian

The Alexander String Quartet recorded Mozart's "Hoffmeister" and "Prussian" string quartets, but they were not satisfied with the sound quality and felt the finished product was not worthy of their name, so they withdrew the recording before it got out and are re-recording the works for January 2019 release as Vol. 1 of a series covering Mozart's final chamber works.

The reason I lead with that is, well, Vol. 2 comes out this month on Foghorn Classics, so if you see it - it's the piano quartets, with pianist Joyce Yang - don't go wondering where the predecessor went! They're just being released out of order!

André

This came out on July 6th ans is Prest Classical's Recording of the Week:

Curently YNS & Friends are busy recording Die Zauberflöte with Klaus-Florian Vogt as Tamino and Rolando Villazon as...Papageno !

Mandryka

premont

Quote from: Mandryka on July 14, 2018, 10:19:38 AM

I own this:

https://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/classical/products/8034653--archipel-machaut

and I'm definitely not overwhelmed. The accordeon sounds rightout anachronistic (much more so than Louis Couperin on piano) and the balance between shawn and accordeon is strange.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Mandryka

Quote from: amw on June 20, 2018, 07:40:10 AM
Tempted.

40 minutes for Klavierstück 6. I've  listened recently to the first nine Klavierstücke by Henck and Tudor, the music seems to me much more muscular than expressive, like physical exercises for the pianist, probably fun to play but I don't see there's anything in it for the listener. Maybe Liebner is creative and radical enough to turn it into poetry - though IMO she failed with the Cage etudes. 

amw

I think the Stockhausen Klavierstücke are much more prose than poetry. Those timings for VI and X are definitely a bit odd though.

Brian

The next Seattle Symphony album on their in-house label, this September, will be the Berlioz Requiem. Ludovic Morlot conducts, as usual.

Mandryka

Available on Qobuz, where it's said to be a 2018 rerelease of material from the 1970s.