New Releases

Started by Brian, March 12, 2009, 12:26:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian

Pretty awesome first post, jlopes! I wonder what else will be on that Bernstein/Rattle CD.

--

AUGUST STUFF

That is...a long symphony. EDIT: In addition to composing and conducting, in the Symphony Jeff Beal is credited with "flugelhorn improvising."

Eroica Variations + Liszt Sonata

"The version [of Op. 106 "Hammerklavier"] for string quartet prepared by David Plylar, a curator at the Library of Congress, was initially intended as a guide through the structural thicket of this gigantic opus. In this rendering by the Leipzig String Quartet, however, it also turns out to be an extremely revealing expansion of our musical horizons. The extended polyphonic passages quite naturally profit from the new opportunities offered by ensemble playing: the canon at the beginning of the development section in the first movement or the mighty fugue in the finale. Beethoven calls for the use of all eighty-eight piano keys, which at the time was a sensational demand. The extreme registers are also represented in the quartet version."

Paul_Thomas

Quote from: Brian on July 17, 2018, 10:59:42 AM
Pretty awesome first post, jlopes! I wonder what else will be on that Bernstein/Rattle CD.

Nothing, it's on the CD on its own except a short audio interview about the piece with Bernstein.

amw

Quote from: Brian on July 17, 2018, 10:59:42 AMBeethoven calls for the use of all eighty-eight piano keys, which at the time was a sensational demand
Beethoven's piano didn't have 88 keys. He does call for the use of 79 of the 80 keys on a Conrad Graf fortepiano of the era, one of which he apparently purchased in 1816. (The unused note is G7, the highest on the instrument)

Maestro267

Having done some research, it seems that the House of Cards Symphony is merely an adaptation of music from the TV series.

relm1

Quote from: Maestro267 on July 18, 2018, 01:09:50 AM
Having done some research, it seems that the House of Cards Symphony is merely an adaptation of music from the TV series.

I am unfamiliar with the tv show or the composer.  How would you describe his style?

Mandryka

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

premont

γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Mandryka

North Star

August/September releases from German Amazon

[asin]B07F9G2JQS[/asin]
[asin]B07C5H8DPN[/asin]
[asin]B07CPBVW1W[/asin]
[asin]B07CXDGRP4[/asin]
[asin]B07BMJKGL2[/asin]
[asin]B07DRYD963[/asin]
[asin]B07D58Y2VL[/asin]
[asin]B07DRYD964[/asin]
[asin]B07DRWHV69[/asin]
[asin]B07DRYJBR3[/asin]
[asin]B07CPK4SXN[/asin]
[asin]B07DSJ66CV[/asin]
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

ritter

Warner / Erato are really saving on recording studio rentals these days!  >:D

Maestro267

Quote from: relm1 on July 18, 2018, 06:32:05 AM
I am unfamiliar with the tv show or the composer.  How would you describe his style?

Never heard either. Just pointing out that it's not a serious symphony in the traditional sense. A mere rehashing of TV music does not a symphony make.

Mandryka

Quote from: amw on July 15, 2018, 03:15:31 AM
I think the Stockhausen Klavierstücke are much more prose than poetry. Those timings for VI and X are definitely a bit odd though.

Well I listened to Liebner play VII today three times kind of, the first two times I abandoned it because it just seemed like a cat was walking randomly on the piano, the third time it sounded like the most beautiful, most poetic, piano music I'd ever heard, more beautiful than the sound of birds and the sea and the wind. I'm bracing myself for VI tomorrow - 40 mins.

Anyway she's got ideas, about tempo, about order. But unfortunately the booklet isn't online as far as I can see, I hope someone will buy it and tell us what her ideas are, exactly.

Mahlerian

Quote from: Mandryka on July 22, 2018, 01:17:07 PM
Well I listened to Liebner play VII today three times kind of, the first two times I abandoned it because it just seemed like a cat was walking randomly on the piano, the third time it sounded like the most beautiful, most poetic, piano music I'd ever heard, more beautiful than the sound of birds and the sea and the wind. I'm bracing myself for VI tomorrow - 40 mins.

Anyway she's got ideas, about tempo, about order. But unfortunately the booklet isn't online as far as I can see, I hope someone will buy it and tell us what her ideas are, exactly.

Not that it will tell you what the pianist is thinking in her interpretation, but if you're interested in a resource that will get into the aesthetic experience of Stockhausen's music without spending too much time in poring over technical details, this is a great site:

http://stockhausenspace.blogspot.com/2015/05/klavierstucke-v-x.html#kv3
"l do not consider my music as atonal, but rather as non-tonal. I feel the unity of all keys. Atonal music by modern composers admits of no key at all, no feeling of any definite center." - Arnold Schoenberg

Daverz

Quote from: North Star on July 22, 2018, 08:25:22 AM
[asin]B07D58Y2VL[/asin]

A real steal and highly recommended.  The previous box is $149.94 on Amazon Marketplace!

Brian

!!!! SEPTEMBER !!!!

Traditionally fall is the hottest time of year for new releases and it looks like this year will be no exception.

Brian

!!!!! SEPTEMBER PART 2 !!!!!

Yes, that's pianist-composer Evgeny Kissin.

kyjo

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

betterthanfine

Quote from: North Star on July 22, 2018, 08:25:22 AM
August/September releases from German Amazon

[asin]B07DRYD963[/asin]

This is probably just a boxed version of all the previously released performances by Argerich & friends of each year, no? Or will it be Argerich only?

Edit: Ah, found the tracklisting on Amazon.de. Looks like it's only performances with Agerich on piano.

North Star

Quote from: betterthanfine on July 25, 2018, 05:10:40 AM
This is probably just a boxed version of all the previously released performances by Argerich & friends of each year, no? Or will it be Argerich only?
Yeah a reissue like most of what I listed
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

betterthanfine

Quote from: North Star on July 25, 2018, 05:15:18 AM
Yeah a reissue like most of what I listed

Gotcha, thanks. I was wondering if there would be performances without La Argerich as well, like in the separate releases. Looks like that might not be the case. :)