New Releases

Started by Brian, March 12, 2009, 12:26:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Florestan

Quote from: Brian on July 23, 2018, 11:31:13 AM
!!!! SEPTEMBER !!!!

Traditionally fall is the hottest time of year for new releases and it looks like this year will be no exception.

This is yesteryear's news --- released in 2016.  :D
Si un hombre nunca se contradice será porque nunca dice nada. —Miguel de Unamuno

ritter

Talking about Enescu, this certainly is new (announced for September):

[asin]B07DY2H1LS[/asin]
Strigoii ("Ghosts") is a fragmentary oratorio from 1916, "restored, rebuild (sic), orchestrated and prepared" by Gabriel Bebeșelea, on a text by Mihai Eminescu. The CD includes another rarity, the Pastorale-Fantaisie pour petit orchestre.

Florestan

Quote from: ritter on July 27, 2018, 02:19:05 AM
Talking about Enescu, this certainly is new (announced for September):

[asin]B07DY2H1LS[/asin]
Strigoii ("Ghosts") is a fragmentary oratorio from 1916, "restored, rebuild (sic), orchestrated and prepared" by Gabriel Bebeșelea, on a text by Mihai Eminescu. The CD includes another rarity, the Pastorale-Fantaisie pour petit orchestre.

Most interesting, thanks.

FWIW, here is Eminescu's poem:

https://ro.wikisource.org/wiki/Strigoii

Make of it what you will.  :laugh:
Si un hombre nunca se contradice será porque nunca dice nada. —Miguel de Unamuno

ritter

Quote from: Florestan on July 27, 2018, 10:44:33 AM
FWIW, here is Eminescu's poem:

https://ro.wikisource.org/wiki/Strigoii

Make of it what you will.  :laugh:
Coño, nu înțeleg aproape nimic!!!  >:(

:D

North Star

"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Florestan

Quote from: ritter on July 27, 2018, 11:23:10 AM
Coño, nu înțeleg aproape nimic!!!  >:(

Confirming my experience that an educated Romanian can understand a good deal of Italian or Spanish at first sight / hearing but the reciprocal is usually not valid.  :laugh:

Quote from: North Star on July 27, 2018, 11:25:45 AM:)
Si eu! :(

That's actually incorrect (Google Translate perhaps?). The correct form is: Nici eu.

FWIW, 28 of the 37 words of the first stanza are of Latin origin.

ritter

What's really incorrect form is the first word in my sentence... ;D

Florestan

Quote from: ritter on July 27, 2018, 11:54:16 AM
What's really incorrect form is the first word in my sentence... ;D

:D :D :D

Now that you got me started, the Romanian equivalent of El coño de tu madre is Du-te-n pizda mătii! (literally Vete en el coño de tu madre). Could you guess which Romanian word is the equivalent of coño? ;D

ritter

Quote from: Florestan on July 27, 2018, 12:03:41 PM
:D :D :D

Now that you got me started, the Romanian equivalent of El coño de tu madre is Du-te-n pizda mătii! (literally Vete en el coño de tu madre). Could you guess which Romanian word is the equivalent of coño? ;D
the next to last one...and it's definitely not of Latin origin (its very similar in Serbo-Croat...

Florestan

Quote from: ritter on July 27, 2018, 12:07:38 PM
the next to last one...and it's definitely not of Latin origin (its very similar in Serbo-Croat...

Correct on both accounts.  :D

Now, here's a stanza (not by Eminescu) you should be able to understand with a little effort:

Stofe vechi, o mandolină,
Un Cézanne şi doi Gauguin,
Patru măşti de bronz:
Beethoven, Berlioz, Wagner, Chopin,
O sofa arabă, două vechi icoane bizantine,
Un potir de-argint, mai multe vase vechi de Saxa, pline
Cu mimoza, tamburine spaniole, lampioane
Japoneze, trei foteluri cu inscripţii musulmane,
"Fleurs du mal" legate-n piele de Cordova,
Şi pe pian:
Charles Baudelaire şi-alături Villiers de l'Isle-Adam...

The title of the poem is Într-un bazar sentimental and the author is Ion Minulescu (remember him?)  :laugh:

EDIT: boy, do I love being off topic...  :D

Moonfish

"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

Karl Henning

Quote from: Moonfish on July 27, 2018, 12:45:55 PM
Bach 333 is coming.....    ???

Why have I never heard of this composer?
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Madiel

Why is it 333 exactly? 222 discs, about 50 of which could be jettisoned.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Mahlerian

Quote from: Madiel on July 27, 2018, 05:57:59 PM
Why is it 333 exactly? 222 discs, about 50 of which could be jettisoned.

Because it's been 333 years since 1685 when Bach was born.  A silly idea for an anniversary, in my opinion...
"l do not consider my music as atonal, but rather as non-tonal. I feel the unity of all keys. Atonal music by modern composers admits of no key at all, no feeling of any definite center." - Arnold Schoenberg

Florestan

Quote from: Mahlerian on July 27, 2018, 06:46:09 PM
Because it's been 333 years since 1685 when Bach was born.  A silly idea for an anniversary, in my opinion...

Maybe they went for 333 being half of 666? Kind of "Bach the Exorcist"? :laugh:

I agree: silly.

aukhawk

I'm looking forward to CD 181/182 being available separately ...

Harry

New and maybe interesting release of Krebs Organ works, not entirely complete as the box says.

Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Que

Quote from: aukhawk on July 30, 2018, 02:19:44 AM
I'm looking forward to CD 181/182 being available separately ...

The Sonatas & Partitas by Carmignola would be interesting, I agree.  :)

Q

vandermolen

This is a dangerous thread for me!
I've already seen several 'essential CDs' including Braga Santos on Naxos and John Joubert's Third Symphony on Lyrita. I need to stop looking at this thread.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

aligreto

Quote from: vandermolen on August 01, 2018, 03:47:54 AM
This is a dangerous thread for me!
I've already seen several 'essential CDs' including Braga Santos on Naxos and John Joubert's Third Symphony on Lyrita. I need to stop looking at this thread.

What was that an old compatriot of mine once said about being able to resist everything except temptation  ;D