New Releases

Started by Brian, March 12, 2009, 12:26:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian

Never saw this in any pre-release listings, but Decca is releasing an all-new 2CD set of Belohlavek conducting Janacek, recorded in 2013. Glagolitic, Sinfonietta, Taras Bulba, and The Fiddler's Child. Czech PO.

That year of Hannu Lintu recordings is super intriguing.

Daverz

Quote from: Brian on August 31, 2018, 11:46:23 AM
Never saw this in any pre-release listings, but Decca is releasing an all-new 2CD set of Belohlavek conducting Janacek, recorded in 2013. Glagolitic, Sinfonietta, Taras Bulba, and The Fiddler's Child. Czech PO.

[asin] B07DXSK4K1[/asin]

Listening to the mass on Tidal now (search "janacek mass fiddler").  More expansive tempos than Ančerl.  Decca's sound is spectacular, of course.  I may get the high-res download.  Prostudiomasters has it for $20:

https://www.prostudiomasters.com/#quickview/album/22739

amw

What version of the Mass is this?

Daverz

Quote from: amw on August 31, 2018, 02:44:16 PM
What version of the Mass is this?

The text is in Old Church Slavonic, with five vocal movements that correspond to the Catholic Ordinary of the Mass, omitting "Dona nobis
    pacem" in the Agnus Dei. The musical origins of the work can be traced to Janáček's Latin setting of the Kyrie, Agnus Dei, and Credo for organ
    and chorus.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glagolitic_Mass

amw

Oops, what I meant was: is it the original version or the revised version of the piece?

Brian

Quote from: amw on August 31, 2018, 03:10:41 PM
Oops, what I meant was: is it the original version or the revised version of the piece?
I saw Belohlavek conduct the original version in 2011 (but with only 8 movements, the intrada was not played at the beginning) but there is no indication yet that he uses the original here... I hope someone proves me wrong!

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

Quote from: Brian on August 31, 2018, 03:38:35 PM
I saw Belohlavek conduct the original version in 2011 (but with only 8 movements, the intrada was not played at the beginning) but there is no indication yet that he uses the original here... I hope someone proves me wrong!

Here is a link to a concert performance which may be the the source of the recording.

https://www.ceskafilharmonie.cz/en/concert-detail/306-czech-philharmonic-opening-concert/

The original version of the mass is specified. The announcement does not specify a date, but does specify the same slate of soloists as the recording.

amw

Yes, that's where the recording is from, the events calendar specifies the same dates as those in the booklet.

I actually tracked down the digital booklet (here) and it specifies the edition as the "September 1927" version edited by Jiří Zahrádka. In either case I'm definitely curious, because the original version in whatever guise is (imo) better.

Mirror Image

I'm going to be all over this like a pitbull on a poodle:

Having been absolutely enthralled with Brabbins' performance of A London Symphony, I eagerly await this next installment in what looks to be a series (crossing my fingers that this is the case).

Mr. Minnow

Mandryka

Bertrand Cuiller François Couperin, I believe the first volume of a complete keyboard works set.

Quote from: http://wunderkammern.fr/2018/09/02/traits-couperin-v-scene-ouverte-pieces-de-clavecin-par-bertrand-cuiller-i-brillamment/L'excellence artistique de Bertrand Cuiller ne fait, en revanche, aucun doute et le premier volume de son intégrale Couperin est à marquer d'une pierre blanche. On me pardonnera de ne pas m'appesantir outre mesure sur les qualités d'un toucher impeccablement maîtrisé, aussi affûté que subtil ; ces moyens digitaux, ici immédiatement évidents, ne valent que s'ils sont mis au service d'une véritable vision. De ce point de vue, nous sommes comblés avec ces deux heures de musique à la fois denses et joueuses – il me semble que Bertrand Cuiller est le seul interprète à avoir compris et restitué à ce point l'humour piquant mais tout en nuances allusives de Couperin – auxquelles ne manque aucune dimension, ni l'éclat, ni le chant, ni le mordant, ni la solennité, ni la danse, ni la tendresse, ni la mélancolie. Caractères et situations sont parfaitement analysés, campés et rendus, avec une main qui tremble d'autant moins qu'elle prolonge une réflexion dont l'intensité autorise une approche libre et instinctive de la musique, loin des joliesses décoratives, des agitations vaines et des schémas formatés. Couperin est ici chez lui et il est donc partout, dans ce sourire narquois comme dans cette larme ravalée, dans ce théâtre aux effets économes mais saisissants où l'illusion ne s'affiche que pour mieux suggérer une vérité qui n'a que faire des apparences. Signe d'une véritable maturité nourrie d'une profonde humilité, le claveciniste traite toutes les pièces sur un pied d'égalité, accordant autant d'attention aux plus modestes danses du Troisième Ordre qu'aux pages très recherchées du Vingt-septième, dont je n'ai d'ailleurs jamais écouté plus belle et juste version. Enregistré avec une proximité chaleureuse par Hugues Deschaux, ce « Petit théâtre du monde » savoureux, malicieux, plein de tendresse et pétillant d'intelligence, nous happe et nous retient ; il nous permet de redécouvrir et d'aimer encore d'avantage un compositeur sur lequel il reste encore tant à dire. Si Couperin était un alchimiste, Bertrand Cuiller, lui, est un magicien.

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Mandryka

Tillman Skoronek Froberger Louis Couperin and Rameau.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Biffo

Quote from: Brian on August 31, 2018, 11:46:23 AM

I saw this album in a notification from someone, now can't remember who and was tempted but I have just bought the Supraphon box set 'Recollection' which is a retrospective of Belohavlek recordings, mostly live, some previously unissued. It contains performances of the Sinfonietta and Taras Bulba; they date from 1977 and I haven't heard them yet. Bearing in mind what Daverz has to say about the sound of the Decca set I might still be tempted to go for it.

I have three recordings of the Mass in the 'original' version - Mackerras, Netopil and Gardner - all of them are different and only Mackerras opens with the Intrada. I have so may versions of this work an Intrada here or there isn't going to make any difference.

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on August 31, 2018, 08:30:01 PM
I'm going to be all over this like a pitbull on a poodle:

Having been absolutely enthralled with Brabbins' performance of A London Symphony, I eagerly await this next installment in what looks to be a series (crossing my fingers that this is the case).
I'm resisting this for the moment having regretted investing in the Manze and Elder series (apart from the latter's 'A Pastoral Symphony, which I think is the best since Previn), so, I'll be interested to hear what you think John. Certainly 'A London Symphony' in its 1920 version and with excellent fillers was a great CD which I have no regrets in investing in. It's difficult for me to imagine Haitink's performance of 'A Sea Symphony' being bettered.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on September 02, 2018, 06:18:27 AM
I'm resisting this for the moment having regretted investing in the Manze and Elder series (apart from the latter's 'A Pastoral Symphony, which I think is the best since Previn), so, I'll be interested to hear what you think John. Certainly 'A London Symphony' in its 1920 version and with excellent fillers was a great CD which I have no regrets in investing in. It's difficult for me to imagine Haitink's performance of 'A Sea Symphony' being bettered.

I certainly can understand the skepticism on your part, Jeffrey. Manze and Elder have been disappointing, but, like you mentioned, Elder's Pastoral was a great surprise. Anyway, A Sea Symphony is far from a favorite of mine, but I'm always open to hearing another performance of it. Brabbins has helped me appreciate A London Symphony more than I have in the past, so, perhaps, he can do the same for A Sea Symphony? I'll certainly let you know.

JBS

You two think the Manze series is not that great?
I certainly disagree with that opinion. In fact I think it may turn out to be one of the best RVW cycles assuming he completes it.
OTOH, I agree with your assessment of the Elder recordings. At the very least Elder's RVW is not at the same level as his Elgar.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

king ubu

some large suckers coming on soon - click backcovers to enlarge:

[asin]B07G234F6F[/asin]

[asin]B07C9D8T1C[/asin]

[asin]B07G273SJK[/asin]

[asin]B07DQMMPMZ[/asin]

Will have to check the Rossini box in detail ... but the Szeryng (and the Munch that has been mentioned here already) are extremely tempting to me
Es wollt ein meydlein grasen gan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Und do die roten röslein stan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich mehr, du hast dein ehr.
Kannstu nit, ich wills dich lern.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

http://ubus-notizen.blogspot.ch/

vandermolen

Quote from: JBS on September 02, 2018, 05:10:14 PM
You two think the Manze series is not that great?
I certainly disagree with that opinion. In fact I think it may turn out to be one of the best RVW cycles assuming he completes it.
OTOH, I agree with your assessment of the Elder recordings. At the very least Elder's RVW is not at the same level as his Elgar.
I think that I'm probably overdosed on Boult, Barbirolli, Previn, Haitink and Thomson when it comes to VW so I respect your view of the Manze releases which I may revisit.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Biffo

I seem to be in a minority here regarding Elder's RVW cycle. I think Nos 1, 3 & 8 are among the very best and Nos 2 & 5 very fine. Unfortunately Nos 4 & 6 are duds. Perhaps he will recover his old form in Nos 7 & 9. Elder and the Halle recently performed Sancta Civitas and I am hoping it was recorded.

The Brabbins 'Sea Symphony' is on order.

vandermolen

Quote from: Biffo on September 03, 2018, 01:47:21 AM
I seem to be in a minority here regarding Elder's RVW cycle. I think Nos 1, 3 & 8 are among the very best and Nos 2 & 5 very fine. Unfortunately Nos 4 & 6 are duds. Perhaps he will recover his old form in Nos 7 & 9. Elder and the Halle recently performed Sancta Civitas and I am hoping it was recorded.

The Brabbins 'Sea Symphony' is on order.
I totally agree about No.3