New Releases

Started by Brian, March 12, 2009, 12:26:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirror Image

Quote from: Daverz on August 31, 2018, 01:41:49 PM
[asin] B07DXSK4K1[/asin]

Listening to the mass on Tidal now (search "janacek mass fiddler").  More expansive tempos than Ančerl.  Decca's sound is spectacular, of course.  I may get the high-res download.  Prostudiomasters has it for $20:

https://www.prostudiomasters.com/#quickview/album/22739

I promised myself I wouldn't buy any more repertoire I didn't already own, but I've got to say this looks so tempting! I love all of those works and with Bělohlávek at the helm with the Czech Philharmonic really makes it even more enticing.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Biffo on September 03, 2018, 01:47:21 AM
I seem to be in a minority here regarding Elder's RVW cycle. I think Nos 1, 3 & 8 are among the very best and Nos 2 & 5 very fine. Unfortunately Nos 4 & 6 are duds. Perhaps he will recover his old form in Nos 7 & 9. Elder and the Halle recently performed Sancta Civitas and I am hoping it was recorded.

The Brabbins 'Sea Symphony' is on order.

Elder in RVW's Sancta Civitas sounds rather promising. I love really love this work and have loved the Willcocks and Hickox performances for years, so it's always great to hear another performance.

ritter

Brace yourselves.... :D

Announced by Presto for October 12th.

André

Intriguing, to say the least. Currentzis is a hit or miss. I must say I'd like to hear that particular one.

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: ritter on September 03, 2018, 11:21:09 AM

Be prepared for a 20-min finale.

The new erato

Quote from: Mirror Image on September 03, 2018, 10:35:33 AM
I promised myself I wouldn't buy any more repertoire I didn't already own, but I've got to say this looks so tempting! I love all of those works and with Bělohlávek at the helm with the Czech Philharmonic really makes it even more enticing.
so you're only buying repertoire you already own? I'm confused here.

Alek Hidell

Has this one been mentioned? I can't remember.

To be released around the end of September, I think. I'm intrigued as I've enjoyed what I've heard from Hummel thus far.
"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist." - Hélder Pessoa Câmara

Daverz

Quote from: The new erato on September 03, 2018, 08:37:30 PM
so you're only buying repertoire you already own? I'm confused here.

Obviously MI meant that he would not buy any repertoire he already owned.

JBS

Quote from: Alek Hidell on September 04, 2018, 06:42:15 PM

To be released around the end of September, I think. I'm intrigued as I've enjoyed what I've heard from Hummel thus far.

I am very interested...

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Ken B

Quote from: Alek Hidell on September 04, 2018, 06:42:15 PM

Uhoh. It's been a year since I bought even a single disc. But that tempts me.

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on September 03, 2018, 10:35:33 AM
+1
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on September 03, 2018, 10:37:19 AM
Elder in RVW's Sancta Civitas sounds rather promising. I love really love this work and have loved the Willcocks and Hickox performances for years, so it's always great to hear another performance.
+1
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Brian

One more big batch of OCTOBER stuff, starting with a near-mandatory purchase for all Schubert/piano fans:

Yes, it's a one-act opera by THAT Jean-Jacques Rousseau (!!). And yes, there is a bonus DVD featuring a live performance using the actual historical 1700s sets (!!!!) which were used in a 1780 performance starring, in a lead role, Marie Antoinette (!!!!!!).

"Back in April 2014 at Carnegie's Zankel Hall, Augustin Hadelich's performance of David Lang's 'mystery sonatas' was praised by the New York Times as a riveting display of "magisterial poise and serene control." That same magic penetrates this starkly beautiful recording of the work, played by Hadelich on the exquisite 1723 "ex-Kiesewetter" Stradivari, on loan to him by its current owners since 2011. Lang based his 'mystery sonatas' on the famous pieces by Heinrich Ignaz Franz von Biber, but with a modern twist. "I decided to make my own virtuosic pieces about my most intimate, most spiritual thoughts," he explains, "[but] mine are not about Jesus, and the violin is not retuned between movements. I did keep one of Biber's distinctions. He divides Jesus's life into three phases—the joyous, the sorrowful, and the glorious. The central pieces of my mystery sonatas are called 'joy,' 'sorrow,' and 'glory,' but these are all quiet, internal, reflective states of being.""

"These Goldberg Variations present new perspectives on a well-known score. Danish composer Peter Navarro-Alonso's composition is a note-by-note reinvention of the original Goldberg Variations by J.S. Bach. Thus Alpha's innovative performance adds no additional notes in comparison to the original. It is merely through the very creative and extreme orchestration that the new composition gains its own life. "The combination of recorder, saxophone and percussion is clearly not very well suited to a baroque-style reorchestration," claims Peter Navarro-Alonso, responsible for this arrangement tailor made for the members of Alpha. "But the richness in that combination lies in its enormous diversity in timbre and dynamics." Alpha is a unique Danish ensemble, founded by Bolette Roed, Peter Navarro-Alonso, and David Hildebrandt, who all graduated from the soloist class at the Royal Danish Academy of Music, Copenhagen. As early as 2003, they were the first to explore this instrument combination, attracted by its many possibilities. Alpha was an immediate success, and have been prize-winners at contests and festivals all over Europe."

Karl Henning

That Martinů "opera-pastoral" looks especially interesting, Brian.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

North Star

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on September 05, 2018, 07:22:47 AM
That Martinů "opera-pastoral" looks especially interesting, Brian.
Yes!! So good to have a premiere recording of a Martinů work from Bělohlávek, although it will probably be the last one. :(
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Daverz

Quote from: ritter on September 03, 2018, 11:21:09 AM

I thought this was a joke cover as it looks like she's watching paint peeling.

JBS

The movie seems to draw in part on Tchaikovsky's ballet, so I suppose it can go here.
https://www.seventeen.com/celebrity/movies-tv/a22985448/the-nutcracker-and-the-four-realms/

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Madiel

Another recording of Stravinsky's Funeral Song snuck into that last batch.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

amw

Quote from: Brian on September 05, 2018, 06:25:33 AM
starting with a near-mandatory purchase for all Schubert/piano fans:
Is it a new recording or a reissue of the long-unavailable EMI recordings?

Brian

Quote from: amw on September 05, 2018, 05:09:20 PM
Is it a new recording or a reissue of the long-unavailable EMI recordings?
Not too many hints just yet - the booklet isn't up in the Naxos database, but the liner image shows Lonquich as retaining the (P) copyright and the promo text says "For this release with Alpha he has chosen works by Schubert, a composer with whom he is extraordinarily comfortable."