New Releases

Started by Brian, March 12, 2009, 12:26:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

North Star

Quote from: Brian on September 05, 2018, 05:26:00 PM
Not too many hints just yet - the booklet isn't up in the Naxos database, but the liner image shows Lonquich as retaining the (P) copyright and the promo text says "For this release with Alpha he has chosen works by Schubert, a composer with whom he is extraordinarily comfortable."
He's certainly recorded 946, 958 & 959 previously, over 25 years ago.
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Mandryka

Quote from: North Star on September 05, 2018, 11:00:09 PM
He's certainly recorded 946, 958 & 959 previously, over 25 years ago.

And there's a 960 and 845 in concert. I'm pretty sure that he hasn't released a 960 commercially.

https://www.youtube.com/v/F-vBNulAkog
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Draško

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on August 31, 2018, 08:30:01 PM
I'm going to be all over this like a pitbull on a poodle:

Having been absolutely enthralled with Brabbins' performance of A London Symphony, I eagerly await this next installment in what looks to be a series (crossing my fingers that this is the case).
My nerve went and I've pre-ordered this  ::)

I listened to the brief extracts on the Hyperion website; the first three movements didn't sound anything special to me, however the opening of the finale, taken very slowly, I found very moving. The icing on the cake is the inculsion of a shorter Whitman-inspired work hitherto unrecorded, which sounded rather moving as well.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Biffo

Quote from: vandermolen on September 07, 2018, 07:44:01 AM

I listened to the brief extracts on the Hyperion website; the first three movements didn't sound anything special to me, however the opening of the finale, taken very slowly, I found very moving. The icing on the cake is the inculsion of a shorter Whitman-inspired work hitherto unrecorded, which sounded rather moving as well.

My nerve went completely and I ordered the RVW and the Janacek/Belohlavek set (Decca).

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

I found the prior recording of the London Symphony to be interesting because of the use of the 1920 score, otherwise I didn't find it really remarkable, so this cycle in progress doesn't particularly tempt me. I'm still grappling with the remastered Previn cycle, which strike me as superb based on what I've heard.

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

Quote from: Biffo on September 07, 2018, 08:14:48 AM
My nerve went completely and I ordered the RVW and the Janacek/Belohlavek set (Decca).

I could resist that if not for the fact that the un-modified version of the Mass is used.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Brian on September 05, 2018, 06:25:33 AM

Yes!!! Finally, some unreleased Martinů! I'm definitely buying this!

Mirror Image

I think listening to samples hardly gives anyone an impression of how the music is going to sound in general. It's like looking at a piece of a puzzle without having any idea of what the puzzle's image is supposed to be. I listened to the sound samples as well and couldn't make heads or tails as to whether it's going to be good or not. I'll just have to wait and see.

Papy Oli

Olivier

Biffo

Chandos have just released a new recording of Berlioz' Grande Messe des Morts from Edward Gardner and his Bergen forces. One noteworthy aspect is the tenor soloist is the composer himself. I knew Berlioz had a decent voice and at one point joined a theatre chorus to support himself but I thought he was a baritone not a tenor.

https://www.chandos.net/products/catalogue/CHAN%205219?utm_source=Chandos+Records+Ltd&utm_campaign=57ef49c1b3-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2018_08_29_01_04&utm_medium=

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on September 07, 2018, 08:36:38 AM
I think listening to samples hardly gives anyone an impression of how the music is going to sound in general. It's like looking at a piece of a puzzle without having any idea of what the puzzle's image is supposed to be. I listened to the sound samples as well and couldn't make heads or tails as to whether it's going to be good or not. I'll just have to wait and see.

Oddly enough it turned up this morning direct from Hyperion (and cheaper than from other sources). I didn't think it was released yet. A very exciting weekend with this turning up as well as the fine Ruth Gipps CD yesterday. That Martinu release looks interesting John.
:)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

North Star

Quote from: Biffo on September 08, 2018, 03:36:03 AM
Chandos have just released a new recording of Berlioz' Grande Messe des Morts from Edward Gardner and his Bergen forces. One noteworthy aspect is the tenor soloist is the composer himself. I knew Berlioz had a decent voice and at one point joined a theatre chorus to support himself but I thought he was a baritone not a tenor.

https://www.chandos.net/products/catalogue/CHAN%205219?utm_source=Chandos+Records+Ltd&utm_campaign=57ef49c1b3-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2018_08_29_01_04&utm_medium=
It would have been funnier if they put that in the cover art, too.  :D

My photographs on Flickr

vandermolen

Quote from: Biffo on September 07, 2018, 08:14:48 AM

Hehe - that Janacek CD does look good. Maybe I'll put it on my Christmas list to assuage feelings of guilt.

vandermolen

Quote from: Ghost of Baron Scarpia on September 07, 2018, 08:20:19 AM
I found the prior recording of the London Symphony to be interesting because of the use of the 1920 score, otherwise I didn't find it really remarkable, so this cycle in progress doesn't particularly tempt me. I'm still grappling with the remastered Previn cycle, which strike me as superb based on what I've heard.

The Previn is a wonderful cycle. I'm just going to see how I get on with the new Sea Symphony and will not necessarily collect everything else. I did like the 1920 A London Symphony from Brabbins from Brabbins very much and enjoyed the fillers like the Symphonic Variations, originally for Brass band.

Draško

Oscar Levant - complete recordings

[asin]B07CQKKFYY[/asin]

TheGSMoeller

Not sure if this was mentioned here, but Queyras has a new release of Vivaldi Cello Sonatas. I streamed it on Apple Music for a bit last night, sounded great...

[asin]B07DRYHSX3[/asin]

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on September 08, 2018, 03:40:26 AM
Oddly enough it turned up this morning direct from Hyperion (and cheaper than from other sources). I didn't think it was released yet. A very exciting weekend with this turning up as well as the fine Ruth Gipps CD yesterday. That Martinu release looks interesting John.
:)

Wow, you've already received the Brabbins' disc? The Hyperion website shows it's release date of the 28th of this month. You'll definitely have to let me know what you think of it.

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

Quote from: Papy Oli on September 07, 2018, 02:04:23 PM
A Chailly symphony edition is due out mid-October :

[asin]B07FPJZJRK[/asin]

https://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/classical/products/8474782--riccardo-chailly-the-symphony-edition

I will say the Bruckner from that set is really superb, I'm tempted to say my absolute favorite. The Mahler as well. I haven't hear the Beethoven, Brahms or Schumann.

North Star

Quote from: Ghost of Baron Scarpia on September 08, 2018, 07:10:59 AM
I will say the Bruckner from that set is really superb, I'm tempted to say my absolute favorite. The Mahler as well. I haven't hear the Beethoven, Brahms or Schumann.
The Dvorak 9, Mendelssohn 3, Mahler 5, Turangalîla, Tcaikovsky 5, Bruckner 7 at least from this box are in the big one, too. Based on their quality, the big box is certainly tempting. I recall Bruce thinks very highly of the Prokofiev & Mosolov disc.

https://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/classical/products/8029316--the-art-of-chailly

My photographs on Flickr