New Releases

Started by Brian, March 12, 2009, 12:26:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian

The Chailly box is very tempting because of his continually high standard of excellence, but Chailly is 65 and - hopefully - has at least 15 more years to keep recording more symphonies.

Quote from: Biffo on September 08, 2018, 03:36:03 AM
Chandos have just released a new recording of Berlioz' Grande Messe des Morts from Edward Gardner and his Bergen forces. One noteworthy aspect is the tenor soloist is the composer himself. I knew Berlioz had a decent voice and at one point joined a theatre chorus to support himself but I thought he was a baritone not a tenor.

https://www.chandos.net/products/catalogue/CHAN%205219?utm_source=Chandos+Records+Ltd&utm_campaign=57ef49c1b3-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2018_08_29_01_04&utm_medium=
This makes it sound like Berlioz is singing on the Chandos album!

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on September 08, 2018, 06:34:42 AM
Wow, you've already received the Brabbins' disc? The Hyperion website shows it's release date of the 28th of this month. You'll definitely have to let me know what you think of it.

Will do John. Yes, I'm really surprised it just turned up - maybe an advantage to obtaining it direct from Hyperion ( and for £10 which is not unreasonable). I'm just giving Ruth Gipps another hearing and then I'll play the VW.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

JBS

Quote from: Ghost of Baron Scarpia on September 08, 2018, 07:10:59 AM
I will say the Bruckner from that set is really superb, I'm tempted to say my absolute favorite. The Mahler as well. I haven't hear the Beethoven, Brahms or Schumann.

I think the Beethoven cycle is high quality, probably the best of  those done in recent years.

I have at least half of that box, so I will pass on it unless it falls into SDCB status.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on August 31, 2018, 08:30:01 PM
I'm going to be all over this like a pitbull on a poodle:

Having been absolutely enthralled with Brabbins' performance of A London Symphony, I eagerly await this next installment in what looks to be a series (crossing my fingers that this is the case).
I think you'll be pleased John. I found it to be a very moving and gripping performance. The recording sounded a bit cavernous at first but I got used to it. Brabbins conducts a deeply-felt performance and the short but moving additional Whitman setting is a real bonus.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Madiel

Chailly Brahms (his 2nd cycle) is excellent in my view.

Personally I'm unlikely to get that box in view of the double-ups and my general antipathy to such large boxes, but there's a lot in there that looks appealing.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on September 08, 2018, 12:59:56 PMI think you'll be pleased John. I found it to be a very moving and gripping performance. The recording sounded a bit cavernous at first but I got used to it. Brabbins conducts a deeply-felt performance and the short but moving additional Whitman setting is a real bonus.

Thanks for the feedback, my friend. Sounds like you've given it a big thumbs up and this is quite surprising considering how much RVW you've heard. I'll probably get this recording around Christmas time. I really do hope this turns into another RVW cycle. We need more, more, more RVW in the market! ;D

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on September 08, 2018, 08:34:45 PM
Thanks for the feedback, my friend. Sounds like you've given it a big thumbs up and this is quite surprising considering how much RVW you've heard. I'll probably get this recording around Christmas time. I really do hope this turns into another RVW cycle. We need more, more, more RVW in the market! ;D
My pleasure John. The recording sounded slighly cavernous and the soloists closely miked but I soon got used to it and it might be better on a higher grade system than my own. Overall I found it a deeply moving experience. With the Haitink I think that the finale is in a class of its own but with this new Brabbins recording I found myself more moved throughout the work and I appreciated the earlier movements like never before. If you get hold of it I'd be very interested to hear your views.

Que

Quote from: Papy Oli on September 07, 2018, 02:04:23 PM
A Chailly symphony edition is due out mid-October :

[asin]B07FPJZJRK[/asin]

https://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/classical/products/8474782--riccardo-chailly-the-symphony-edition

I'm tempted, mainly because it will cover his entire time at the Concertgebouw Orchestra.
And they did some amazing recordings.

Q

Mandryka

More Bach from Nordstoga, interestingly this time at Lüneberg.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Alek Hidell

Quote from: Brian on September 08, 2018, 07:47:42 AM
This makes it sound like Berlioz is singing on the Chandos album!

Have a look at the link, Brian - if you scroll down a bit, it does indeed say "Solo: Hector Berlioz tenor."

This could be a HIP recording that Florestan could go for! ;)
"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist." - Hélder Pessoa Câmara

premont

Quote from: Mandryka on September 09, 2018, 07:45:27 AM

More Bach from Nordstoga, interestingly this time at Lüneberg.

I own this already, but haven't listened to it yet.

Obs: The Lüneburg organ is equally tempered.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Brian

Quote from: amw on September 05, 2018, 05:09:20 PM
Is it a new recording or a reissue of the long-unavailable EMI recordings?
UPDATE
on Alexander Lonquich Schubert

recorded Feb-March 2017

Also, here are track timings.

D. 958
11:36
8:03
3:46
9:51

D. 959
17:50
8:24
5:21
12:45

D. 960
23:49
10:59
4:02
9:11

D. 946
9:27
14:04
5:24

amw

EMI D958:
11:33
8:25
3:46
10:05

EMI D959:
17:35
8:13
5:16
12:47

EMI D946:
9:36
12:39
5:35

recorded about 25 years ago.

I guess at least he's consistent.

Florestan

Quote from: Alek Hidell on September 09, 2018, 11:33:49 AM
Have a look at the link, Brian - if you scroll down a bit, it does indeed say "Solo: Hector Berlioz tenor."

This could be a HIP recording that Florestan could go for! ;)

You bet! And btw, just let me know when the remastered release of Chopin's last recital is due --- I'll preorder it on the spot.
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: Brian on September 12, 2018, 06:22:13 AM
UPDATE
on Alexander Lonquich Schubert

D. 960
23:49

Now that's the kind of first movement timing that I love. Methinks I'll be checking this out...
Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

Harry

Samples sounded good. Never heard of this composer, will probably order it.

ORP-LE-GRAND
Saints-Martin et Adèle
Belgium, Province of Brabant-Wallon

Main Organ at ground level. II/P/27 + 1T

New Organ in a casework on which some old elements of woodwork have been kept. Drawn by architect André Lambert, executed by Organbuilder Schumacher. The instrumental part has been performed by the Manufacture d'Orgues Thomas.

Organ Experts : Jean Ferrard & Étienne Leuridan

Inauguration : Jean Ferrard and Étienne Leuridan, Freddy Eichelberger, 26 & 27 IX 2009.

New rI. Positif de dos

CDEFGA1-D5 51 notes

Bourdon 8

Montre 4

Flûte d'Allemand 4

Nasard 3

Doublette 2

Flûte 2

Flageolet 1

Fourniture III 1

Cymbale II ½

Cromorne 8

II. Grand-orgue

CDEFGA1-D5 51 notes

Montre 8

Bourdon 8

Prestant 4

Flûte 4

Nasard à biberon 3

Doublette 2

Tiercelette 1 ⅗

Flageolet 1 ½

Fourniture IV ⅔

Cymbale III ⅓

Cornet V

Trompette 8 B+D >

Voix humaine 8

Clairon 4

Pédale

CDEFGA1-C3 23 notes

Flûte 8

Trompette 8 (T II)

Chalmie 4

Flûte 2

Tremblant doux

Tremblant fort

Rossignol

Keydesk with short Octaves, and split keys la b/sol# et re#/mi b.

Division B/D : C3/C#3

II+I à tiroir, P+II

Mechanical action, draw-stop mechanical action

A3 = 440 Hz ; Mesotonic temperament.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Maestro267

The upcoming Chandos recording of Berlioz' Requiem only just pushes 80 minutes, rather than the traditional timing of 90-95 minutes. Did the label say they could only afford to press single CDs for it, so they had to speed it up beyond all recognition?

North Star

Quote from: Maestro267 on September 13, 2018, 10:19:51 AM
The upcoming Chandos recording of Berlioz' Requiem only just pushes 80 minutes, rather than the traditional timing of 90-95 minutes. Did the label say they could only afford to press single CDs for it, so they had to speed it up beyond all recognition?
There are 88-minute long CD's so that's probably not the reason why it's 80 minutes long..
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Mandryka

Quote from: "Harry" on September 13, 2018, 04:21:37 AM
Samples sounded good. Never heard of this composer, will probably order it.

I remember thinking that the samples were rather good and the instrument also. Ton Koopman recorded a Cornet CD for Astree which is on a historic organ, St Jean-Baptiste Roquemaure, a bit tough but well worth checking out I think. And Arnaud van der Cauter has recorded another Peeter Cornet CD which I liked, on two different organs, one pretty old.

Mandryka

Quote from: Mandryka on September 13, 2018, 11:11:55 AM
I remember thinking that the samples were rather good and the instrument also. Ton Koopman recorded a Cornet CD for Astree which is on a historic organ, St Jean-Baptiste Roquemaure, a bit tough but well worth checking out I think. And Arnaud van der Cauter has recorded another Peeter Cornet CD which I liked, on two different organs, one pretty old.

I listened carefully to the second tone fantasy by van der Cauter and Koopman. As a result I feel less positively about Koopman, and more positively about Cauter. And I'm impressed by Peeter Cornet's music too.

Van Der Cauter  plays very fluidly. . His registrations are good, he knows how to cut through the  rich sounding tones of the  organ with astringent timbres, a pleasure to hear. He gives the music relief and tension, and direction. The final climactic three minutes are incandescent,

Koopman benefits from the complex and characterful sound of an ancient organ. He plays in a much more articulated way than Van Der Cauter, hence with less fluidly, more jolt. The result was hard to follow, and seemed aimless and flat, with no sense of climax or structure, and little nobility or gravitas. I didn't enjoy the Koopman at all.