New Releases

Started by Brian, March 12, 2009, 12:26:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Que, akebergv and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

Quote from: Maestro267 on September 13, 2018, 10:19:51 AM
The upcoming Chandos recording of Berlioz' Requiem only just pushes 80 minutes, rather than the traditional timing of 90-95 minutes. Did the label say they could only afford to press single CDs for it, so they had to speed it up beyond all recognition?

The manufacturing cost of an individual CD is less than a dollar. I have numerous releases where an extra CD was included at no additional cost because the program was just slightly longer than the contents of a single disc, so the idea that they somehow truncated with work to fit into 80 minutes seems extremely unlikely to me.

Karl Henning

I'm also skeptical that an 80-minute Grande Messe des morts is sped up beyond recognition.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Kontrapunctus

André

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on September 14, 2018, 08:40:13 AM
I'm also skeptical that an 80-minute Grande Messe des morts is sped up beyond recognition.

Ormandy and Ozawa take around 77 minutes. They are both very fine IMO. Abravanel is a bit more expansive at 83 minutes. I haven't heard it but might explore further.

Mandryka

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Que

Quote from: Mandryka on September 14, 2018, 11:09:00 PM

Nice!  :) 

I very much liked Pasquini's harpsichord music in this recent purchased recording by Luca Guglielmi:

[asin]B00HFDP32A[/asin]
Q

Mandryka

Quote from: Que on September 14, 2018, 11:33:11 PM
Nice!  :) 

I very much liked Pasquini's harpsichord music in this recent purchased recording by Luca Guglielmi:

Q

It was the variations that I was interested in when I found this new recording by Haas.  I want to hear if there's an influence between Pasquini's variations and Pachelbel's

Mandryka

This is the programme I heard them perform a couple of weeks ago, and I left the concert with mixed views. I didn't much enjoy the de la Rue, and I thought the Ockeghem was performed with great drama and forcefulness, very "masculine", which may not be my style really. There were times in the Ockeghem when I thought of the knights getting stroppy with Amfortas in Act III of Parsifal!

Anyway how I felt after a concert indicates nothing at all probably, and I'll listen to  the recording to form a more considered judgement, when it becomes available.

Review here

http://wunderkammern.fr/2018/09/16/velin-verge-5-prolongati-sunt-les-requiem-dockeghem-et-la-rue-par-diabolus-in-musica/

Ciaccona

Some upcoming releases:

[asin]B07FDVCMG3[/asin]

[asin]B079P978RS[/asin]

Biffo

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on September 14, 2018, 08:40:13 AM

I was considering buying the Chandos disc but this has put me off, may have to hang back until I can sample it.

Sir Colin Davis took a very expansive view of the work - 91 mins in 1969 (recorded in Westminster Cathedral) and 94 mins in 2012 (recorded in St Paul's Cathedral) ; the large venues may have determined his tempi. Bernstein recorded the work in the Chapel of Les Invalides, venue for the first performance, he takes 87 mins. Munch (84 mins) and Fremaux (83 mins) are quicker. I wasn't impressed by Fremaux (live or recorded) though the Agnus Dei in his recording is very beautiful. I haven't listened to the Munch for quite a time, possibly need to refresh my memory.

Davis (1969) was my introduction to the work and for many years it was the only version I owned so he very much colours my view.

Mandryka

Graindelavoix do English Music, interesting that Schmelzer chose Ashwell.

Brian

The Seattle Symphony just released its own Berlioz Requiem:

It clocks in at 76 minutes. In fact, the online version has a 12 minute bonus track - "La mort d'Orphée".

Brian

bahahahahahahahahahaha

FUCK DIGITAL (LP)
Composer(s):   VARIOUS
Artist(s):   JAMES RHODES
Label:   Signum Classics (SIG)
Format(s):    VINYL

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Brian on September 17, 2018, 06:54:53 AM
The Seattle Symphony just released its own Berlioz Requiem:

It clocks in at 76 minutes. In fact, the online version has a 12 minute bonus track - "La mort d'Orphée".

The Requiem has great playing from the Seattle SO, and in great sound ( the offstage brass in the Dies irae is perfectly recorded), but a little too zippy at key moments for my tastes ( the final Amen coda Agnus Dei needed more space to breath). But again Seattle Symphony and Morlot are impressive.

Karl Henning

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on September 17, 2018, 08:48:33 AM
The Requiem has great playing from the Seattle SO, and in great sound ( the offstage brass in the Dies irae is perfectly recorded), but a little too zippy at key moments for my tastes ( the final Amen coda Agnus Dei needed more space to breath). But again Seattle Symphony and Morlot are impressive.

Sorry to learn of (what was rather suggested) the incidents of Criminal Zip!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on September 17, 2018, 08:54:54 AM
Sorry to learn of (what was rather suggested) the incidents of Criminal Zip!

Too many zips.

Mandryka

Kontrapunctus

Ooh, this looks promising!