New Releases

Started by Brian, March 12, 2009, 12:26:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

71 dB

Quote from: milk on November 21, 2018, 03:02:48 AM
A brief period of time when people dressed like aliens.

Why do you assume aliens have bad taste? Maybe we humans have the worst taste in the whole Universe?

- What is the name of our own galaxy?
- Ummh... ...don't know...
- Hint: It's the name of a candy bar too.
- Mars!

Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

aukhawk

Quote from: amw on November 21, 2018, 02:39:39 AM

Has this been mentioned already? Already out, am planning to sample.

According to the datestamp on my files, I bought that in April.  Don't like it much, I find it a little heavy-handed, it just made me revert to the other two sets I have, Hill and Austbo, both of which I prefer.  (Austbo with the bonus of 6 additional items - Petites Esquisses d'Oiseaux )

aukhawk

Quote from: amw on November 21, 2018, 12:29:27 AM
Interpretively: most of her Prokofiev has been reference quality, so the 8 should be equally good. Ligeti she will do fine in. I wasn't extremely positive about her Rach 3 but the Etudes-Tableaux are probably better due to being smaller in scale, and I've never heard her in Scriabin. I think it would be a must-buy (or must-pirate) for pianophiles & everyone else should stream first to sample.

She plays four Scriabin Preludes on YouTube somewhere.

amw

Quote from: aukhawk on November 25, 2018, 03:06:45 AM
According to the datestamp on my files, I bought that in April.  Don't like it much, I find it a little heavy-handed, it just made me revert to the other two sets I have, Hill and Austbo, both of which I prefer.  (Austbo with the bonus of 6 additional items - Petites Esquisses d'Oiseaux )
I sampled. Don't think it appealed to me as much as the set by Momo Kodama. I already have the Hill and Ugorski.

JBS

Quote from: amw on November 24, 2018, 11:49:09 PM

Book 1 recorded 2017, Book 2 recorded 1971 (during Ashk's "good period").

My copy arrived yesterday. If you want, I will report once I've heard it sometime in the next few days.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Todd

Also, more late career Maurizio Pollini playing late career Frederic Chopin (Opp 55-58) is due in January. 
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

The new erato

Is this the second Stenhammer 2nd symphony relead by BID in a few months?

Scheduled for January.

Daverz

Quote from: The new erato on November 26, 2018, 12:16:28 PM
Is this the second Stenhammer 2nd symphony relead by BID in a few months?

Scheduled for January.

Interesting!  I guess RvB couldn't pass up the chance to release a Herbie Blomstedt recording.

Brian

Yup - I commented on it a couple pages ago - Daverz is right, this is a live recording BIS couldn't resist. I get the newsletter where Robert von Bahr comments on each new release; he hasn't sent out this one yet but when it happens I will post the message here.

The new erato

It is a superb symphony - perhaps the greatest romantic Scandinavian symphony (I coun't Sibelius and Nielsen out here as mainly slightly more modern), and I don't doubt Blomstedt does it marvellously. Thoiugh that Westerberg that I have on vinyl is unforgettable once you've heard it.

JBS

To be released 11/30 per Amazon
[asin]B07H5VVJ8S[/asin]

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

ritter

Quote from: Todd on November 25, 2018, 05:49:42 PM

Yes!  :)

The contents can already be seen on amazon.fr (well, kinda, as in their usual bizarre style, they mention induvidual movements, not works as such). AFAIK, the set includes a real rarity: Loriod's recordings of Mozart's first four piano concertos, conducted by Boulez (which were only fleetingly available in CD as a complement to the French magazine CLASSICA some years ago).

Mandryka

Quote from: ritter on November 27, 2018, 04:42:01 AM
Loriod's recordings of Mozart's first four piano concertos, conducted by Boulez (which were only fleetingly available in CD as a complement to the French magazine CLASSICA some years ago).

I once asked someone who knew Boulez and Loriod why they recorded them. The answer was clear: money. I have them somewhere if you want me to upload them. Same for the Albeniz.  It's a shame this doesn't have the Debussy Etudes.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

ritter

Thanks, Mandryka. I have that CLASSICA CD in my collection. In the case of Loriod, though, the recordings (apart from the money  ;), of course) were made in the context of a marathon set of concerts with all of WAM's piano concertos in Paris in the early sixties.

And one would be surprised by how many recorded documents of Boulez conducting Mozart piano concertos there actually are...  ;)

The Iberia was available on an Adès CD (which I unexpectedly found used  in a store here in Madrid for a pittance), but it was only excerpts (this set has the whole suite, I think). And the Debussy Études were on the Erato label, so wouldn't make it on this new set (they've never been released on CD AFAIK  :().

pjme

I love this cd. It gives the de Falla Spanish gardens a rather cool, clean chic.
I have fond memories of two recitals/concerts with Loriod in Louvain / Belgium. She performed with Messiaen "Visions de l'amen" and was soloist (propably in Brussels) in Turangalila, with sister Jeanne on the ondes.
The Iberia fragments 'Evocation, Fête-Dieu à Séville, Triana, El puerto, El albaicin) come in the orchestral version by Arbos.
I will have a better look at this VEGA box later.

Brian

Some more JANUARY stuff that has not previously been posted here:

For some reason the Smetana recording also includes the scherzo from the "Festive Symphony." Naxos just released the entire "Festive Symphony" with Darrell Ang conducting the Berlin Radio Symphony.

aligreto

Mandryka

Quote from: ritter on November 27, 2018, 05:37:07 AM
Thanks, Mandryka. I have that CLASSICA CD in my collection. In the case of Loriod, though, the recordings (apart from the money  ;), of course) were made in the context of a marathon set of concerts with all of WAM's piano concertos in Paris in the early sixties.

And one would be surprised by how many recorded documents of Boulez conducting Mozart piano concertos there actually are...  ;)

The Iberia was available on an Adès CD (which I unexpectedly found used  in a store here in Madrid for a pittance), but it was only excerpts (this set has the whole suite, I think). And the Debussy Études were on the Erato label, so wouldn't make it on this new set (they've never been released on CD AFAIK  :().

Looks like Disc 4 and 5 has the whole Iberia. What is Disc 7? Something by Schumann? I had no idea she recorded Chopin etudes (Disc 3) If you want I can let you have the Debussy etudes.

Mandryka

Quote from: aligreto on November 27, 2018, 11:25:05 AM
Bream is so young there that he is unrecognisable  ;D

This could be very good.

ritter

Quote from: Mandryka on November 27, 2018, 11:29:46 AM
Looks like Disc 4 and 5 has the whole Iberia. What is Disc 7? Something by Schumann? I had no idea she recorded Chopin etudes (Disc 3) If you want I can let you have the Debussy etudes.
Disc 7 is Visions de l'Amen. I presume you meant disc  6, which has the Webern Variations, Boulez's Second Sonata, the Berg Sonata op. 1, and what could be the Barraqué Sonata (but this would probably stretch the CD's timing to its limit).

Thanks for the offer of the Debussy Études! The first three are on YouTube, and are most interesting.

EDIT: Perhaps you meant the last tracks of disc 3, which are Schumann's Noveletten.