New Releases

Started by Brian, March 12, 2009, 12:26:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Que, akebergv and 5 Guests are viewing this topic.

Mandryka

Quote from: Que on December 19, 2018, 04:49:20 AM
I do not recall commenting on these particular recordings - and I am not familiar with (all of) them...  8)

If you search the forum for "Oxbridge" you'll find that it is actually Mandryka used that term for a certain style of performing Early Music, and that you've had in fact discussions with him in the past on that topic.

Anyway, that doesn't take away from the fact that for Early Franco-Flemish repertoire, I am inclined to look for a different style than the Hilliard's.

Q

Oxbridge for the vowel sounds, especially prominent in some people who sing for Mary Berry, maybe only Brits notice it. What is it exactly that you and others find a bit offputting about the Hilliard approach?

I have a slight quibble with Hilliard, by the way. I don't like the way that the countertenor is, at least in some recordings, so forward and prominent. And sometimes I feel that Rogers Covey-Crump's style could do with a bit more colour, tension and relief.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

San Antone

Just for the record, here is the thread from the Early Music Club (EMC) that I remembered from a few years ago:

Quote from: San Antone on February 24, 2015, 10:36:36 AM
I'm assuming this box has been mentioned, but if not - it is a good one.  I was reminded of it by a post of a different recording of the Ockeghem Requiem in the New Purchases Thread -

[asin]B008BT104M[/asin]

Has all my favorites.

Quote from: Que on February 26, 2015, 11:09:40 PM
It's great deal. But stylistically outdated IMO. For me personally the British choral style and Franco-Flemish composers simply does not compute... ::)
These days there are plenty of preferable alternatives by other ensembles. :)

Q

Quote from: The new erato on February 27, 2015, 02:56:27 AM
I totally agree. They sound to cold and clinical (to generalize absurdly).

And continuing ...

Quote from: Que on February 28, 2015, 12:30:28 AM
I would say earthy or more human than angelic. There is more to the issue about some of British ensembles than just OVPP. It is about the choral/ ensemble sound, particularly the male voices - both low and high, it is about phrasing, diction. Music is usually transposed upwards to accomadate the taste for a higher , more "angelic" sound of choirs with larger propotions of female voices and male altos. (Just listen to the grumbling basses in  the Huelgas ensemble in comparison) It is simply not always idiomatic or authentic....

Please don't mind me and enjoy nonetheless,  I am simply pointing out that there is more out there and it might be of interest to you. :)
Ockeghem by the French Ensemble Musica Nova or Ensemble Organum, or De la Rue by the Flemish ensemble Capilla Flamenca can be a very satisfying experience.

Q

Anyway - for me all of the groups mentioned have their merits and the only kind of group that I choose to avoid are all female groups, or groups where the female voices dominate the sound.  I vastly prefer male voices, and lower voices primarily.  If transposition is to occur I want it to go down, not up.  OVPP or 2VPP over larger groups.

Que

Quote from: San Antone on December 19, 2018, 07:25:33 AM
Just for the record, here is the thread from the Early Music Club (EMC) that I remembered from a few years ago:

Your memory is obviously better than mine.. :)

QuoteI vastly prefer male voices, and lower voices primarily.  If transposition is to occur I want it to go down, not up.  OVPP or 2VPP over larger groups.

And it seems our tastes are not far apart...

Q

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Todd

Also coming, the complete Robert Casadesus Columbia recordings spread across 65 CDs, presumably of the original jackets variety.  I'm wondering if the couple items excluded from the long OOP Casadesus Edition will be included.  I'm good with the long box.

Brian

A Paavo album with no Paavo on the cover?! Has that happened since he was a kid recording for BIS?

JBS

I am inclined to nominate the Bartok for the ugly CD thread. Are they suggesting Bartok can be played in their sleep?

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

André

Advice to Andris Nelsons: never a good idea to look up when you are going down the stairs.

Todd

Quote from: Brian on December 21, 2018, 04:31:32 PM
A Paavo album with no Paavo on the cover?! Has that happened since he was a kid recording for BIS?

I perused his site to get a sense.  It's actually common for him not to appear on the cover, especially for big name soloist recordings of various concerti.  He also doesn't seem to be on any covers of recordings with the Orchestre de Paris.

amw

Quote from: André on December 21, 2018, 07:30:58 PM
Advice to Andris Nelsons: never a good idea to look up when you are going down the stairs.
Possibly a reference to the time when Shostakovich slept out on the landing of the stairs in his building so that his family wouldn't be disturbed when the NKVD came to arrest him, but that was later than the works in that album (around the time of the 10th Symphony & Song of the Forests)

Madiel

Quote from: JBS on December 21, 2018, 04:41:00 PM
I am inclined to nominate the Bartok for the ugly CD thread. Are they suggesting Bartok can be played in their sleep?

I quite like that cover, actually.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

mc ukrneal

Quote from: JBS on December 12, 2018, 04:35:36 PM
Amazon US actually has a detailed track listing. Unusual for them this far in advance
[asin]B07JZB1VWN[/asin]
The price has actually declined by $11-$12 to $63.29.
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Todd

About time.

Of those Koeckerts.

Also on the big box front there's a new complete Giulini box from DG, a complete Thielemann orchestral recordings box from DG, and the long-rumored Casals Edition on Sony.

aukhawk

Quote from: Brian on December 03, 2018, 11:39:12 AM
More JANUARY + early FEBRUARY

Mahler 2
Minnesota/Vanska
BIS

An image to go with that.

Brian

Quote from: Brian on December 17, 2018, 12:42:36 PM
Not too early to start thinking about FEBRUARY

... no artwork available to me yet:

Arriaga - Orchestral Works
BBC Philharmonic / Juanjo Mena

Tasmin Little Plays Amy Beach, Clara Schumann, and Ethel Smyth
with John Lenehan

Jean-Efflam Bavouzet Plays Schumann
Sonata No. 3 + Faschingsschwank aus Wien + Gesang der Frühe + the late Drei Klavierstücke

-

Also coming on Ondine, but only back cover artwork is available to me:
We have front cover art now.

Couple more things:

JBS

Two reissues from Ensemble Organum on January 4
[asin]B07F4C15B2[/asin]
[asin]B07F4R27J4[/asin]
And a brand new Stile Antico on January 11
[asin]B07J3691SR[/asin]

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Todd

Some Asian market items of at least a little interest.

Ras

Capucon brothers with Argerich and Haitink playing Schumann:

[asin]B07GVTG4V1[/asin]

QuoteBrahms announced his retirement from composing on more than one occasion. This program from Garrick Ohlsson features the Fantasias Op.116, Intermezzos Op.117 and Clavierstuücke Op.118. These works are among the last solo pieces Brahms wrote for piano. By contrast, the Scherzo Op.4 is the work of an eighteen-year old, and the earliest he approved for publication.

[asin]B07HN6GTDJ[/asin]
"Music is life and, like it, inextinguishable." - Carl Nielsen

Todd

vandermolen

Quote from: André on December 21, 2018, 07:30:58 PM
;D
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).