New Releases

Started by Brian, March 12, 2009, 12:26:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul_Thomas

The Mahler 7 from I. Fischer is the end of his Mahler cycle - he doesn't conduct the 8th.

Que

Quote from: Todd on January 12, 2019, 07:03:30 AM

Sure to be a best seller among GMG visitors.

OK, that haircut is actually rather scary....  ???

Q

Ciaccona

Just seen this (apologies if it has been posted already):

[asin]B07KLCVYZ5[/asin]

Available 22nd of March (on Amazon UK).

Biffo

Quote from: Undersea on January 13, 2019, 02:20:01 AM
Just seen this (apologies if it has been posted already):

[asin]B07KLCVYZ5[/asin]

Available 22nd of March (on Amazon UK).

Is this 'Berlioz Rediscovered' or old Berlioz recordings rehashed using the 150th anniversary of his death as an excuse?

Que

What I'd like is a Brahms box by Gardiner....  8)

Q

Ras

Quote from: Biffo on January 13, 2019, 03:05:57 AM
Is this 'Berlioz Rediscovered' or old Berlioz recordings rehashed using the 150th anniversary of his death as an excuse?

Copied from amazon:
QuoteEditorial Reviews :Brought together for the first time for the 150th anniversary of Berlioz' death, Decca presents this 8CD+1DVD, original jacket set of the ground-breaking recordings made for the Philips label by The Orchestre Revolutionnaire et Romantique under the leadership of John Eliot Gardiner.  The set is accompanied by performances on DVD of Symphonie Fantastique and the Messe solennelle and is sure to delight both fans of Berlioz's incredible orchestrations which are heard here with striking clarity.

It says Philips recordings. There are no longer any new cds coming out on Philips. But many old Philips cds are being re-released with the Decca label on them. So this is a box of Gardiner's old Philips recordings re-released on Decca.
"Music is life and, like it, inextinguishable." - Carl Nielsen

Biffo

Quote from: Ras on January 13, 2019, 03:46:23 AM
Copied from amazon:
It says Philips recordings. There are no longer any new cds coming out on Philips. But many old Philips cds are being re-released with the Decca label on them. So this is a box of Gardiner's old Philips recordings re-released on Decca.

Thanks for the info. I already have the CDs, mainly in their original Philips incarnation. The DVD sounds interesting but not a justification for buying the box.

PerfectWagnerite

Quote from: Que on January 13, 2019, 03:33:59 AM

Q
Aren't the individual releases free from at least somewhere?

amw

Quote from: Que on January 12, 2019, 10:40:20 AM
OK, that haircut is actually rather scary....  ???

Q
It's even scarier if you zoom in.....

Mirror Image

JBS

Quote from: Paul_Thomas on January 12, 2019, 07:52:27 AM
The Mahler 7 from I. Fischer is the end of his Mahler cycle - he doesn't conduct the 8th.

Speaking of Mahler, that M3 with Roth is intetesting, since HM has publicly committed to a complete cycle with Daniel Harding, but this is Roth's second Mahler recording with them (M5 came out last year). Could the label actually be thinking of issuing two competing cycles at once?

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Mirror Image

Quote from: JBS on January 13, 2019, 04:53:42 PM
Speaking of Mahler, that M3 with Roth is intetesting, since HM has publicly committed to a complete cycle with Daniel Harding, but this is Roth's second Mahler recording with them (M5 came out last year). Could the label actually be thinking of issuing two competing cycles at once?

That's a possibility, but whether it's carried out to the end will be speculation on our parts.

Brian

Thanks - that's interesting and I admire artists who are willing to leave a cycle uncompleted rather than faking their way through a piece they are not committed to.

aukhawk

I quite enjoy the Sonatas & Partitas played on cello (Paternoster, and Bylsma has done some of them) but I would expect to be underwhelmed by the Cello Suites played on violin.  Prove me wrong, Rachel Podger.

Ciaccona

Quote from: Que on January 13, 2019, 03:33:59 AM

Q

Me too. :D

André

Draško

He does conduct Das Lied von der Erde though.

Brian

Quote from: aukhawk on January 14, 2019, 01:29:58 AM
I quite enjoy the Sonatas & Partitas played on cello (Paternoster, and Bylsma has done some of them) but I would expect to be underwhelmed by the Cello Suites played on violin.  Prove me wrong, Rachel Podger.
There are even very good recordings on viola by Maxim Rysanov and Nils Mönkemeyer - but I share your skepticism about violin.

Jo498

Here a photograph of Thieleman in his twenties where he sported something like a prince valiant haircut (he was also a lot slimmer).

https://www.pinterest.de/pin/791929915695214630
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

San Antone

Quote from: Brian on January 14, 2019, 05:00:56 AM
There are even very good recordings on viola by Maxim Rysanov and Nils Mönkemeyer - but I share your skepticism about violin.

Also Kim Kashkashian, which I like.