Previous topic - Next topic

Omicron9

Quote from: San Antone on January 14, 2019, 05:14:48 AM
Also Kim Kashkashian, which I like.

A big +1 on that Kashkashian set.
"Signature-line free since 2017!"

JBS

Quote from: aukhawk on January 14, 2019, 01:29:58 AM
I quite enjoy the Sonatas & Partitas played on cello (Paternoster, and Bylsma has done some of them) but I would expect to be underwhelmed by the Cello Suites played on violin.  Prove me wrong, Rachel Podger.

I will admit I will get that recording mostly because of my interest in Podger.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Brian

When I posted this before, I knew the repertoire, but I didn't know about the involvement of John Adams - or the unusual, fascinating choice of singer.

Brian

More stuff coming soon:

- Ticciati Bruckner 6 just for GSMoeller
- complete Copland Billy the Kid and Grohg with Slatkin/Detroit

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Brian on January 14, 2019, 10:54:40 AM
More stuff coming soon:

- Ticciati Bruckner 6 just for GSMoeller

Could this be the one?!

Mirror Image

Quote from: Brian on January 14, 2019, 10:54:40 AM
- complete Copland Billy the Kid and Grohg with Slatkin/Detroit

I'll definitely be buying this. It's not like I need another performance of Billy the Kid, but Grohg will certainly be nice to have as I only own the Knussen performance (I believe it's the only recording of it prior to this Slatkin).

Paul_Thomas

Quote from: JBS on January 13, 2019, 04:53:42 PM
Speaking of Mahler, that M3 with Roth is intetesting, since HM has publicly committed to a complete cycle with Daniel Harding, but this is Roth's second Mahler recording with them (M5 came out last year). Could the label actually be thinking of issuing two competing cycles at once?

I think so yes, although whether these cycles will be completed remains to be seen...

Paul_Thomas

Quote from: Draško on January 14, 2019, 04:40:51 AM
He does conduct Das Lied von der Erde though.

And I think there is a DLVDE coming from Channel with Fischer as well at some point...

Draško

Quote from: Paul_Thomas on January 14, 2019, 12:20:34 PM
And I think there is a DLVDE coming from Channel with Fischer as well at some point...

Yes, I presumed that. I actually thought they would record it much earlier, as I saw them perform it years ago.

Draško

Quote from: Brian on January 14, 2019, 10:44:20 AM
When I posted this before, I knew the repertoire, but I didn't know about the involvement of John Adams - or the unusual, fascinating choice of singer.

That looks super interesting, and on the other hand it could turn out to be super awful.

aukhawk

Quote from: Brian on January 14, 2019, 05:00:56 AM
There are even very good recordings on viola by Maxim Rysanov and Nils Mönkemeyer - but I share your skepticism about violin.

Quote from: San Antone on January 14, 2019, 05:14:48 AM
Also Kim Kashkashian, which I like.

Also Patricia McCarty, which I like, quite hard to find I think these days

[as I write, listening to Sonata 2 played on a Gamba - Suzanne Heinrich ]

Mandryka

Quote from: aukhawk on January 15, 2019, 05:03:10 AM

[as I write, listening to Sonata 2 played on a Gamba - Suzanne Heinrich ]

I like what she does but you know the music better than I do so I'd be keen to know how you feel about it.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

vandermolen

Looks interesting if rather pricey. UK release on 18th January:
[asin]B07J3H7FFW[/asin]
Here's a review of the concert by the same forces:
https://bachtrack.com/review-gliere-ilya-muromets-feltz-belgrade-philharmonic-march-2018
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Brian

MARCH!

Sauguet - Les Forains (1945)
Massenet - Herodiade suite (1881/4)
Ibert - Les Amours de Jupiter (1945)

"In 1728, the recently appointed court Kapellmeister Johan Helmich Roman was approached by Count Golovin, the Russian ambassador in Stockholm. Golovin was organizing a celebration of the recent coronation in Moscow of Tsar Peter II, and naturally wanted music to add to the festivities. His six years in London – where he made the acquaintance of Handel among others – and subsequent experience as assistant court Kapellmeister, made Roman the obvious choice for the count. The result was Golovinmusiken (The Golovin Music), an autograph score consisting of 45 movements of varying lengths. These are the facts as we know them, and everything else is conjecture: Roman's manuscript lacks vital instructions regarding instrumentation, dynamics or tempi, and although the first three movements are in four parts, the rest are in three parts or (in a few cases) two. When a performing edition was being prepared in the 1980s, the editors came to the conclusion that the material was in fact incomplete, and a second violin part was added. It was also deemed that the order of the movements was probably not the one in which they would have been performed. The edition in question formed the basis for a partial recording of the work, comprising 22 movements. 290 years after Count Golovin's feast, as Dan Laurin and his colleagues in Höör Barock recorded the complete work, their approach was a different one. Making use of a total of 18 different instruments – from sopranino recorder and oboe da caccia to bassoon, strings and baroque guitar – and featuring highly imaginative continuo playing from Anna Paradiso at the harpsichord, their performance sounds as full and varied as one might wish for, without any added parts. Laurin's performing version also follows the order of Roman's score, creating a number of smaller suites out of this greater whole that a wider audience now can enjoy for the very first time."

"a richly varied mosaic in 38 movements for cello and large intercultural ensemble"

Florence Price, Clarice Assad, Jessie Montgomery, Reena Esmail, Jennifer Higdon

Not a cover art joke, the artist here really has no arms. Here is video, where I can't resist noting that he wears a watch on his leg.

André

Thanks, Brian !

The Braunfels disc on Capriccio looks very interesting!

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Brian on January 17, 2019, 11:39:28 AM

Not a cover art joke, the artist here really has no arms. Here is video, where I can't resist noting that he wears a watch on his leg.

Just watched a few videos of Felix. I've never heard of him before, but that's remarkable what he has accomplished. Bravo! 

Madiel

The name Schickele caused me to do a major double-take. Better known as PDQ Bach.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Brian

ritter

MARCH!

IIRC, our esteemed fellow GMGer Jessop (shirime) sang as a chorus member in the concerts this recording originated from. I, for one, will be buying this (as it's a work I'm very fond of).  :)

Daverz

MARCH!

The Kondrashin Rimsky/Franck disc must be just a reprinting.  Presto shows a release date of 2010, though out of print.  So the forgetful may want to check their shelves.

https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/7989355--kyrill-kondraschin-conducts-rimskij-korsakow-and-franck