New Releases

Started by Brian, March 12, 2009, 12:26:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mandryka

Initial impressions suggest that, in terms of the construction of the harmonies, this is a rather successful and thought provoking  experiment.  I think this is worth hearing.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Ciaccona

Quote from: Ghost of Baron Scarpia on January 19, 2019, 10:36:26 PM
That could be interesting, although I expect I already have a lot of it. What's with the picture, though?

The composer appears to be viewing a Spider through the Magnifying lens so... :)

André

Le Festin de l'araignée seen through a magnifying glass...

JBS

Quote from: Ghost of Baron Scarpia on January 19, 2019, 10:35:21 PM
As far as I know Jarvi recorded Grieg for DG. Its hard to see how it ends up on a Warner release, some sort of cross-label licensing agreement?

Jarvi pere recorded for DG.  Jarvi fils however did two CDs for what used to be Virgin

Both pianists listed on the cover have done (some of) the Lyric Pieces, Andsnes twice over (the second time being the one "with Grieg's own piano").  He has done the PC twice.  Mork has recorded the Cello Sonata and the String Quartet.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

JBS

The Flagstad is probably drawn from the six Grieg songs that are included here
[asin]B0006VYEHI[/asin]
And DFD is presumably what appears on the second CD of this double
[asin]B013UC5ZV8[/asin]

I am providing the ASIN links so you can see the actual track listings,  even though the images are not showing.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Brian

The complete Lyric Pieces are Lagerspetz - I believe Andsnes is just the concerto. The violin sonatas in the box are mono recordings with Yehudi Menuhin (!).

I think overall, I will stick with my BIS orchestral box and Austbo Lyric Pieces box. If the chamber music performers were more compelling, or if Andsnes's Lyric Pieces CDs were included, this box might have moved to a "buy" for me.

Todd

Quote from: Brian on January 20, 2019, 09:29:29 AMThe complete Lyric Pieces are Lagerspetz

Coulda been, shoulda been Adni.

Quote from: Brian on January 20, 2019, 09:29:29 AMI believe Andsnes is just the concerto.

Hopefully the second recording.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Daverz

Quote from: Brian on January 20, 2019, 09:29:29 AM
The complete Lyric Pieces are Lagerspetz - I believe Andsnes is just the concerto. The violin sonatas in the box are mono recordings with Yehudi Menuhin (!).

I think overall, I will stick with my BIS orchestral box and Austbo Lyric Pieces box. If the chamber music performers were more compelling, or if Andsnes's Lyric Pieces CDs were included, this box might have moved to a "buy" for me.

I'm guessing this has Barbirolli's Peer Gynt and Berglund's Symphonic Dances, both excellent.

Brian

More stuff coming in MARCH, which seems to be an especially strong month for fans of romantic cello:

Ticciati Bruckner 6 track timings are interesting: 14:23 / 15:35 / 7:38 / 13:52 = 51:30

"Greatly admired by his contemporaries, Gabriel Dupont (1878-1914) studied with Massenet, then became a disciple of Vierne and Widor; he is one of those composers whose too-brief career prevented them from taking their merited place in the history of music. Despite suffering a chronic bout of tuberculosis in 1901, Dupont managed to enter for the Prix de Rome, obtaining a 'second prize' (ahead of Maurice Ravel). This composer has been partly rediscovered over the past few years – mainly his piano works, songs, and some rare chamber works – yet his symphonic music remains almost entirely unknown. The compositions on this release are the very first recorded collection of his complete orchestral repertoire, and they mark the course of Dupont's brief creative years, from the three-part symphonic sketch Jour d'Été (1900), to the poignant Le Chant de la Destinée (1908), and including the orchestrated piano pieces Les Heures dolentes. Dupont's language is a passionate synthesis of late 19th century French traditions with his quest for a new identity, a new path: one that weaves around the tracks of his contemporaries, sometimes crossing the border into German musical territory."

Messiaen - Catalogue d'oiseaux, Nos. 6 and 5
Scriabin - Sonatas 2, 9, Vers la flamme
Mozart - Fantasia in D minor
(not in that order)

SymphonicAddict

A release I've been waiting for some long time!!

Draško

Don't know if it had been already mentioned but Bruno Walter's complete Columbia recordings are coming, 77 CDs. More info here:

https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/art/bruno-walter-the-complete-columbia-album-collection/hnum/8933427

SurprisedByBeauty

Daverz

Quote from: SurprisedByBeauty on January 25, 2019, 10:03:31 AM
All Your Furtwängler Are belong to Us: Berlin Philharmonic Releases War Time Recordings

It always amuses me what the Soviet Union considered spoils of war from Germany in WWII.  Not only was Germany's heavy industrial equipment shipped to the East, but all those Furtwängler recordings, too.

PerfectWagnerite

Quote from: Draško on January 24, 2019, 08:58:31 AM
Don't know if it had been already mentioned but Bruno Walter's complete Columbia recordings are coming, 77 CDs. More info here:

https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/art/bruno-walter-the-complete-columbia-album-collection/hnum/8933427
They want 300 EURO for that? Who are they kidding? Hard to imagine you don't trip on most of those recordings by pure chance at some point.

André

Mandryka

SurprisedByBeauty

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Mandryka

I think this is pretty good actually, but I'm keen on what Manfred Cordes does. The organ is a modern copy of a little C17 instrument in a bad state of repair. But it's the singing which makes this interesting I think.