New Releases

Started by Brian, March 12, 2009, 12:26:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

They detect the Weinberg bandwagon gathering momentum and they want to get in on it. They're behind the curve.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Brian on March 19, 2019, 11:03:49 AM
What was interesting to me was that they divided the performance duties among two conductors and two orchestras.

I found this more strange than 'interesting'. :-\

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

And interesting that of the two conductors involved the less well known one ended up on the cover.

Ken B

Quote from: Florestan on March 16, 2019, 11:42:22 AM
Why not? Is there any reason why this should be rejected a priori?
As I keep saying, we live in the golden age of the accordion.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Ghost of Baron Scarpia on March 19, 2019, 07:22:40 PM
And interesting that if the two conductors involved the less well known one ended up on the cover.

Well, this isn't so interesting given that every major record label relishes the opportunity to boast about their new blood. :) I mean how many album covers do we need with Paavo Järvi on it?

Ken B

Quote from: Mirror Image on March 19, 2019, 07:26:36 PM
Well, this isn't so interesting given that every major record label relishes the opportunity to boast about their new blood. :) I mean how many album covers do we need with Paavo Järvi on it?
She is going to be on a LOT of covers. If DG is smart they will put her on covers whether she's conducting or not. They should put her on the covers of their Karajan boxes.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Ken B on March 19, 2019, 07:42:53 PM
She is going to be on a LOT of covers. If DG is smart they will put her on covers whether she's conducting or not. They should put her on the covers of their Karajan boxes.

Don't forget the Karl Böhm covers! ;D

Mandryka

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

betterthanfine

Quote from: Brian on March 19, 2019, 11:03:49 AM
What was interesting to me was that they divided the performance duties among two conductors and two orchestras.

Mirga Grazinyte-Tyla has conducted the Kremerata Baltica on a previous release, so I guess there's a link:

[asin]B01N0GWQ1D[/asin]

Mirror Image

Quote from: betterthanfine on March 20, 2019, 02:53:52 PM
Mirga Grazinyte-Tyla has conducted the Kremerata Baltica on a previous release, so I guess there's a link:

[asin]B01N0GWQ1D[/asin]

Ah yes. I just love how the name Mirga Gražinytė-Tyla rolls off the tongue. ;D

Ken B

Quote from: Mirror Image on March 20, 2019, 08:20:26 PM
Ah yes. I just love how the name Mirga Gražinytė-Tyla rolls off the tongue. ;D

Mirga Gražinytė-Tyla ... tongue
*sigh*

Brian

Here's some new stuff that popped up in the APRIL distribution list, or stuff I reported on already that now has cover artwork for your eye-pleasing purposes:

including Debussy Images, Falla Homenaje a Debussy, Liszt Ballade No 2, a Mompou encoure

Op 18 No 3 / Kongsgaard Variations / Op 131

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Brian

Man, MAY is gonna be an exciting month.

That Strauss looks an especially handy way of filling any gaps in your collection.

"Erich Wolfgang Korngold greatly revised the comic operetta A Night in Venice by Johann Strauss (Jr.) ... he not only adapted the text but also changed the original instrumentation and integrated inserts into the work from other operettas by Strauss, for example, from Simplicius (1880). For several reasons Korngold's revised version was a success when it was performed at the Theater an der Wien on 25 October 1923: the stage set was lavish and magnificent, the new orchestration displayed tonal sophistication, and the great Richard Tauber was heard in the role of the Duke in quest of erotic adventures. A few years later Korngold's version made its way to the stage of the Vienna State Opera."

3 CDs. Donizetti, Cherubini, Malipiero, Shostakovich, Ravel, Schubert, Schumann, Haydn - interesting collection

No jokes about the corny name - "The Violins of Hope" are a collection of instruments which survived the Holocaust.

"Spanish music has been enriched in recent years by a series of striking and exciting double concertos featuring the country's emblematic instrument, the guitar. Leading composer Anton Garcia Abril has written prolifically for the guitar and Concierto de Gibralfaro offers three evocative vignettes for two guitars. Mistral by David del Puerto is written for the highly unusual combination of guitar and accordion, a single movement concerto of great color and dynamic palette. Guerena's Concierto ecuanime, for guitar and vibraphone, embraces the rhythmic influence of jazz while employing the tuning used in the rodena form of flamenco. Miguel Trápaga was born in Cantabria, Spain. He studied at the Ataulfo Argenta Conservatory, and at Royal Conservatory of Music of Madrid with Javier Canduela and Demetrio Ballesteros, respectively. He also received lessons from Jose Tomas, Miguel Angel Girollet, Manuel Estevez, and others. He has won top prizes in several international competitions, and has performed in broadcasts for Spanish National Radio, BBC, and others."

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Alek Hidell

Has this one been mentioned? May 3 release, according to Jeff Bezos.

"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist." - Hélder Pessoa Câmara

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Brian on March 23, 2019, 06:48:45 AM

That Strauss looks an especially handy way of filling any gaps in your collection.

This is a great program! Viva La Strauss!

This is either going to be a powerfully-dark record of Saariaho's music, OR it's a poster for True Detective Season 4. Either way, I'm in.

No jokes about the corny name - "The Violins of Hope" are a collection of instruments which survived the Holocaust.

I was super bummed I missed these performances last year with the NSO, but very happy to see they recorded some of their shows with these violins. Although they did perform Barber's Adagio for Strings with these instruments, which I wish was included.
In case anyone is interested here's a link with additional info...

http://www.violinsofhopensh.com/

Brian

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on March 23, 2019, 07:35:09 AM
I was super bummed I missed these performances last year with the NSO, but very happy to see they recorded some of their shows with these violins.
My girlfriend and I saw here in Dallas the world premiere of Leshnoff's Violin Concerto No. 2 and she told me (this was after two years of subscribing together) that it was her favorite piece she'd seen the DSO play, ever. Plus, I spent an hour beforehand chatting with the composer, who's just about the nicest gentleman there is. Very excited for this disc.

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Brian on March 23, 2019, 11:05:34 AM
My girlfriend and I saw here in Dallas the world premiere of Leshnoff's Violin Concerto No. 2 and she told me (this was after two years of subscribing together) that it was her favorite piece she'd seen the DSO play, ever. Plus, I spent an hour beforehand chatting with the composer, who's just about the nicest gentleman there is. Very excited for this disc.

That's great, Brian!
BTW the first track (Mvt.I from Symphony No.4) is available to stream on Apple Music right now.

SymphonicAddict