New Releases

Started by Brian, March 12, 2009, 12:26:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ras

South Korean conductor Chung in a live performance with the Staatskapelle Dresden from November 2004 playing Beethoven's Eroica Symphony:

[asin]B01BM4RGX6[/asin]
"Music is life and, like it, inextinguishable." - Carl Nielsen

Brian

AUGUST

will bring a new round of re-issues from Alpha:

Plus new stuff:

Brian

more new AUGUST stuff

The Demus recital was recorded in 1985.

"The Lark Quartet brings its stellar 30 year career to a close with this celebratory album. On it, Lark Quartet performs premieres by John Harbison, Kenji Bunch, Anna Weesner and Andrew Wagoner, all composed for the occasion. Assisting Lark Quartet are Yousif Sheronick, percussion (Bunch), Romie de Guise-Langlois, clarinet (Weesner) and the Lark's four founding members (Waggoner)."

Finally, no artwork for this yet but a new release from the Cincinnati Symphony and Louis Langrée:
"Recorded at Cincinnati Music Hall, the release marks the highly anticipated world premiere recording of the new critical edition of Gershwin's An American in Paris, and also showcases the virtuosity and sound of the CSO through the original and rarely performed version of Edgard Varèse's epic Amériques with 147 musicians, and Stravinsky's Symphony in C."

Mandryka

Immaculately played and beautifully recorded on a gorgeous modern piano. Donohoe eschews any spectacular or dramatic instrumental or interpretative effects

In my opinion, there's a sense of a very good demonstration by a piano teacher here. Not the encounter of creative musician and music and instrument. But a very good piano teacher indeed! So it may not be a deal breaker.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Mandryka

Richard Lester continues his Bach survey intrepidly. Does anyone care? Has anyone noticed? Even the cover art seems designed to not attract attention.

I've listened to the French Suite (number 2) It's really very good, sober and scholarly without being inexpressive, as you'd expect.

No booklet online, I don't know what the basis of the selection of the music  (there's some other suites, Preludes and Fugues) Neither do I know the instrument which is nice and well recorded, Italian sounding to me. Maybe there lies the real special thing about these recordings: Bach, lots of Bach, on an Italian instrument.

The harpsichord is a double-manual instrument built in 2011 by Colin Booth, and is derived from a single-manual harpsichord by the Hamburg builder, Johann Christoph Fleischer, and dated 1710. The original is housed in the Musikinstrumenten-Museum in Berlin. On the Booth instrument there are two eight-foot registers strung in iron and red brass, four-foot stop and a harp or buff stop. The temperament is based on Neidhardt and the pitch is 415hz

Mandryka

Robert Smith may make this interesting.

Mandryka

I think Les Sonadori are good, precisely the combination of scholarship and inspiration which I find exciting

QuoteC'est à l'initiative d'Alain Gervreau que les Sonadori se sont réunis afin de l'accompagner dans sa préparation d'un Doctorat en Art à la Vreije Universiteit Brussel soutenu par le Koninklijk Conservatorium Bruxelles.

Les musiciens ont immédiatement été captivés et enthousiasmés par la fabuleuse histoire, encore bien méconnue, du Consort de Violons à l'aube du XVIe siècle en Italie du nord.

Les récentes découvertes musicologiques leur permettent d'expérimenter ce que pouvait être le "quotidien" d'un tel ensemble à travers ses fonctions (procession, divertissement, liturgie) son répertoire (motets, laudes, chansons) et sa nouveauté sonore (entre la viole et les instruments à vent).

Les musiciens des Sonadori osent remettre à l'honneur des situations de jeu inhabituelles: procession en plein air, chant, improvisation, bals ... Grâce à la présence de Nicolas Sansarlat dans l'ensemble, ils se sont formés à la pratique du contrepoint improvisé afin d'aborder la polyphonie du XVIe siècle de l'intérieur de sa structure.

this is a CD well worth exploring

Anne Delafosse leaves me neither hot nor cold, good selection of music

QuoteGiovanni Pierluigi da Palestrina (1525-1594)
Pulchra es amica mea
Dehr or foss'io
Vestiva i colli
Jacques Arcadelt (1507-1568)/Diego Ortiz (?1510-?1570)
O felici occhi miei
Orlando de Lassus (1532-1594)/Giovanni Bassano (?1558-1617)
Susanna un giur
Cipriano de Rore (1515-1565)/Giovanni Bassano (?1558-1617)
Ancor che col partire
Pierre Certon (1510-1572)
Reviens vers moy
Adrian Willaert (?1490-1562)
O salutaris hostia
Giovanni Pierluigi da Palestrina (1525-1594)/Giovanni Bassano (?1558-1617)
Vestiva i colli
Francesco Layolle (1492-1540)/Maffei Giovanni Camillo (?1517-?1582)
Lasciar' il velo
Thomas Crecquillon (1490-1557)
Petite camusette
G.C. Gabucci/Giovanni Battista Bovicelli (?1550-?1594)
Magnificat del secondo tono
Adam Jarzebski (?1590-?1649)
Cantate Domino
Giovanni Paolo Cima (1570-1622)
Sonata à 4
Giulio Caccini (1546-1618)
Sfogava con le stelle
Girolamo Frescobaldi (1583-1643)
Canzon quitadecima, detta la Lievoratta à due Bassi
Claude Le Jeune (?1528-1600)
Susanne un jour

Mandryka

Elia Casanova has a good voice IMO. Quiteria Muñoz appeared on this excellent CD

The music's pretty rare

QuoteCristobal de Morales (?1500-1553)
Ditimi si o no
Diego Ortiz (?1510-?1570)
Giorno felice
Joan Brudieu (1520-1591)
Ma voluntat abla rahó s'envolpa, Madrigal XV, partie I
Plena de seny, Madrigal XV, partie II
Pues que no se puede hazer, Madrigal III, partie I
Amor me tiene olvidada, Madrigal III, partie II
Rodrigo de Ceballos (?1530-1591)
Ojos hermosos
Juan Navarro (1530-1580)
Ay de mi, sin ventura (La Monja)
Recuerde el alma dormida
Mateo Flecha Ii (1530-1604)
¡Ay de mí que'n tierra agena!
Sebastian Raval (1550-1604)
Solcai già mar crudele
Questo cor e quest'alma, partie I
Tu vuoi dolci i sospiri, partie II
Pedro Valenzuela (?-?)
Mentre vieni o mio sole
Voi volete ch'io muoia
La verginella
Pedro Ruimonte (1565-1627)
En este fértil monte
Stefano Limido (?-1647-)
Amargas horas de los tristes dias
Estais en essa Cruz Christo enclavado

so there's enough going on here to make me keen to hear the new release

vandermolen

Just spotted this:
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Brian

Bruckner 7
NDR Elbphilharmonie
Alan Gilbert
Sony

Brian

No artwork yet and in some cases no details, but I can give a little teaser of some September highlights. Full post next weekend when they upload the art.

- Alpha will do a 20 CD box of recordings by Le poème harmonique and Vincent Dumestre
- there appears to be a Beethoven Eroica coming featuring Esa-Pekka Salonen (?!)
- new Boris Godunov from BIS (Kent Nagano) and new Bluebeard's Castle from Chandos (Gardner)
- Quatuor Danel is doing the Tchaikovsky quartet cycle on CPO
- Alexander String Quartet + Joyce Yang teaming up for Dvorak chamber music
- Robin Ticciati Debussy Nocturnes + Durufle Requiem with his Deutsches SO Berlin
- Ticciati and the DSO Berlin are also appearing on Ondine, backing up Christian Tetzlaff in a Beethoven/Sibelius combo
- the Maggini Quartet recordings on Naxos are being boxed up in a 20 CD set
- major new Aaron Jay Kernis orchestral works on Naxos
- Seattle Symphony and Thomas Dausgaard are teaming up for something that currently just says "LANGGAARD STRAUSS"

prémont

Quote from: Mandryka on July 14, 2019, 09:09:32 PM

Richard Lester continues his Bach survey intrepidly. Does anyone care? Has anyone noticed? Even the cover art seems designed to not attract attention.

I own vol. 1 and 2. I am not sure, that I shall collect the other volumes. You are right that he is a scholar and uses interesting instruments, but there is something in his playing, which leaves me unengaged. Probably I feel that he lacks sufficient imagination to play these demanding works. I am much more keen on his recordings of early Italian baroque music.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Madiel

Quote from: Brian on July 19, 2019, 11:46:47 AM
- the Maggini Quartet recordings on Naxos are being boxed up in a 20 CD set

That may be interesting...
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Mandryka

Quote from: (: premont :) on July 19, 2019, 11:59:23 AM
I own vol. 1 and 2. I am not sure, that I shall collect the other volumes. You are right that he is a scholar and uses interesting instruments, but there is something in his playing, which leaves me unengaged. Probably I feel that he lacks sufficient imagination to play these demanding works. I am much more keen on his recordings of early Italian baroque music.

My last experience with him in Italian music was not so positive, it was Andrea Gabrieli's Missa Beata Virginie, which seemed two dimensional, insufficient light and shade, highs and lows, from within the counterpoint. I much preferred Roberto Loreggian in that mass.

Brian

SEPTEMBER SHENANIGANS

The Brautigam is a 6 SACD box. The super badass cover of the Peñalosa is by abstract photographer C.E. Morse.

A coffee-house themed disc!

This live recording of Strauss's Metamorphosen and Beethoven's Eroica Symphony marks the birth on record of the 'Sinfonia Grange au Lac', an orchestra created in July 2018 on the occasion of the Rencontres Musicales d'Évian, the prestigious festival created by Mstislav Rostropovich in 1985 and revived since 2014. A musical ambassador intended to promote the excellence of its parent festival worldwide, the Sinfonia Grange au Lac consists of musicians from leading European orchestras (in Amsterdam, Berlin, Frankfurt, Leipzig, London, Lucerne, Munich, Paris, Salzburg, Valencia and Vienna) as well as existing groups such as the Trio Karénine and the Quatuor Ébène. And it was a stroke of genius to manage to secure the services of Esa-Pekka Salonen. The brilliant Finn became a passionate supporter of the project, checking the list of members one by one. He told Diapason magazine: 'Our work together made me understand what guided Claudio Abbado when he created the Lucerne Festival Orchestra: the pleasure of working with handpicked musicians and making music with great freshness.'

Actually, only the violist of the Ébène is in the orchestra; the concertmaster comes over from the Lucerne Festival Orch, the first clarinet and oboe hold that job for French Radio, etc.

Brian

STILL SOMEHOW SEPTEMBER
including a new Magnard cycle for Sarge!

Original, 12-minute version of the Langgaard.

Piano recording debut for Simon Rattle.

This claims five miniatures which appear in world premiere recordings!

"In the interwar period, Giovanni Salviucci was recognized as one of Italy's most talented composers alongside Luigi Dallapiccola and Goffredo Petrassi but his early successes and all future hopes were quashed by his untimely death in 1937. The Serenade for 9 Instruments, at times rhythmically restless, at others tender and cantabile, and the angular, harmonically daring, neo-Classical Chamber Symphony for 17 Instruments, are two of his most forward-looking compositions. The unpublished String Quartet, at the heart of which lies an Adagio molto of extraordinary emotional impact, is a true gem. This release of the complete published chamber music stands as a vibrant testament to a future curtailed of a composer described by Petrassi in a letter to Casella, Salviucci's teacher and mentor, as 'il migliore di noi tutti' ('the best of us all')."

Joined in the Souvenir by Vladimir Bukač and Petr Prause. Also, I know CPO is notorious for taking forever to issue a recording, but this was recorded FIVE years ago.

These 80s recordings are live (No. 2) and studio (No. 1).

ALWYN • ARNOLD • BAX • L. BERKELEY • BLISS • BRIDGE
BRITTEN • ELGAR • IRELAND • MOERAN • RAWSTHORNE
RUBBRA • VAUGHAN WILLIAMS • WALTON
(notice that it omits the Maxwell Davies "Naxos Quartets")

Alek Hidell

Quote from: Brian on July 23, 2019, 11:15:53 AM
SEPTEMBER SHENANIGANS

The Brautigam is a 6 SACD box. The super badass cover of the Peñalosa is by abstract photographer C.E. Morse.

Am I overlooking something? I don't see anything by Brautigam among these covers.

This looks rather interesting. I spy a couple of prominent jazz/improvising musicians here (Sorey and Iyer) whose contributions may be worth checking out at the very least. I'm a big fan of Sorey in particular. Most of the others are unfamiliar to me, except perhaps Mazzoli (and even there I've only heard her name before).
"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist." - Hélder Pessoa Câmara

SymphonicAddict

Quote from: Brian on July 23, 2019, 11:15:53 AM

Quote from: Brian on July 23, 2019, 11:33:34 AM

Original, 12-minute version of the Langgaard.

These releases piqued my interest.

Brian

Quote from: Alek Hidell on July 23, 2019, 06:27:38 PM
Am I overlooking something? I don't see anything by Brautigam among these covers.
If it doesn't show, it's a 6 SACD box set of Beethoven's complete bagatelles and variations.