New Releases

Started by Brian, March 12, 2009, 12:26:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

milk and 8 Guests are viewing this topic.

prémont

Quote from: Mandryka on July 29, 2019, 09:47:57 PM
Does anyone follow this man? Does he have anything interesting to say with the music?  Unfortunately the recordings can't be streamed so I haven't been able to hear what he's up to even with composers I'm interested in, early English music for example, And now this.

I have only heard some clips. And of course one doesn't get much of a picture by this. Never-the-less I got an impression of excessive extrovert clang-clang, so this didn't wet my tongue. I wasn't impressed either by the live AoF he conducted. How are his Goldbergs?
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Mandryka

Quote from: (: premont :) on August 04, 2019, 07:07:35 AM
I have only heard some clips. And of course one doesn't get much of a picture by this. Never-the-less I got an impression of excessive extrovert clang-clang, so this didn't wet my tongue. I wasn't impressed either by the live AoF he conducted. How are his Goldbergs?

He uses a lovely pure sounding instrument, a copy of one by Harass c.1710. It's well recorded. I think "clang-clang" is unfair. He has a "swing" when he plays fast, a bit like Gould in that respect, and at the end of the day a joyful dancing quality to many of the variations  is what I find most valuable about the performance. When he plays more slowly there's a bit of rubato, not obviously always to any great effect, but I thought that var25 for example showed an intelligent sensitive soul at work, which is good. The result is a tension between rather formal foot-tappingly pulasat-ed variations and freer, expressively robato-ed variations.

If you look at the picture, you're expectations will be confounded

That picture says to me: intellectual iconoclast nutty professor. And I was hoping for a performance which would indeed probe and call into question some of the icons associated with this monument.

Alas, no. It's a pretty respectful post-Gould harpsichord interpretation by a talented harpsichordist. And a pretty good one too!

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

prémont

Quote from: Mandryka on August 04, 2019, 11:19:04 PM
He uses a lovely pure sounding instrument, a copy of one by Harass c.1710. It's well recorded. I think "clang-clang" is unfair. He has a "swing" when he plays fast, a bit like Gould in that respect, and at the end of the day a joyful dancing quality to many of the variations  is what I find most valuable about the performance. When he plays more slowly there's a bit of rubato, not obviously always to any great effect, but I thought that var25 for example showed an intelligent sensitive soul at work, which is good. The result is a tension between rather formal foot-tappingly pulasat-ed variations and freer, expressively robato-ed variations.

If you look at the picture, you're expectations will be confounded

That picture says to me: intellectual iconoclast nutty professor. And I was hoping for a performance which would indeed probe and call into question some of the icons associated with this monument.

Alas, no. It's a pretty respectful post-Gould harpsichord interpretation by a talented harpsichordist. And a pretty good one too!

Thanks for your colorful description. A Harass is of course interesting, but together with the toccata clips I cannot refrain from feeling, that he is that kind of musician who generally aims for maximum effect and very little affect. It makes me associate to Anthony Newman, the most Gouldian harpsichordist I can recall.

https://www.anthonynewmanmusician.org/bio.html
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Mandryka

Quote from: (: premont :) on August 05, 2019, 12:23:27 AM
Thanks for your colorful description. A Harass is of course interesting, but together with the toccata clips I cannot refrain from feeling, that he is that kind of musician who generally aims for maximum effect and very little affect. It makes me associate to Anthony Newman, the most Gouldian harpsichordist I can recall.

https://www.anthonynewmanmusician.org/bio.html

Well, I've just bought the British music CD, I'll keep you informed

As far as the Goldberg's go, the influence of Gould is palpable, Anthony Newman I hardly know, but you may be right.

prémont

Quote from: Mandryka on August 05, 2019, 12:51:41 AM
Well, I've just bought the British music CD, I'll keep you informed

This might be interesting, because Esfahani's contribution to Watchorn's Bull CDs was relatively nice. E.g. the Walsingham variations.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Mandryka

Quote from: (: premont :) on August 05, 2019, 03:35:45 AM
This might be interesting,

Yes he's making me listen, lots of virtuosity but sensitive too, and good instruments well recorded. He's clearly a musician to watch, fortunately for me he does concerts in London frequently.

He may well have a gift for making music swing - that was Gould's main strength IMO, and Landowska pre war. It makes him stand out from the crowd in a really special way.

JBS

Double trouble from Dantone and Delphine

Volumes 59 and 60
[asin]B07QXMRXJR[/asin]
[asin]B07R328CNK[/asin]

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Madiel

Quote from: JBS on August 05, 2019, 04:13:30 PM

Volumes 59 and 60
[asin]B07QXMRXJR[/asin]
[asin]B07R328CNK[/asin]

I'm going to go back to listening to this series on streaming, which may end up being a serious risk to my shelf space and wallet. I'm a complete sucker for a planned set with good cover art, and if they ever offer a massive box it might not matter how much I actually like Vivaldi.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

JBS

Quote from: Madiel on August 06, 2019, 04:53:45 AM
I'm going to go back to listening to this series on streaming, which may end up being a serious risk to my shelf space and wallet. I'm a complete sucker for a planned set with good cover art, and if they ever offer a massive box it might not matter how much I actually like Vivaldi.

They already have more than a few small boxes, some of them already OOP.    The original plan was for 100 installments, IIRC.  I made a concerted effort at one point to get everything that was issued (which required getting one off Ebay from a Taiwanese dealer....never used Ebay for anything else), and since then have been buying them as they come out.  I'll probably be pulling the trigger on these within the next week or so.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Madiel

I know they had 5 CD boxes, as I recall a couple of them actually overlapped with each other.

But I mean if they ever do one big reissue at the end... probably won't happen and I probably wouldn't be quite that crazy...
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

aligreto

Quote from: JBS on August 05, 2019, 04:13:30 PM

Volumes 59 and 60
[asin]B07QXMRXJR[/asin]
[asin]B07R328CNK[/asin]

Onto the Wish List they go.

Que

Madiel

Pat B

Quote from: Madiel on August 06, 2019, 04:53:45 AM
I'm a complete sucker for a planned set with good cover art, and if they ever offer a massive box it might not matter how much I actually like Vivaldi.

Going off-topic, but are you familiar with Gardiner's Bach Cantata series on SDG?

Mookalafalas

Quote from: Pat B on August 07, 2019, 07:38:22 AM
Going off-topic, but are you familiar with Gardiner's Bach Cantata series on SDG?

:D
It's all good...

Madiel

Quote from: Pat B on August 07, 2019, 07:38:22 AM

I am. But was inoculated by buying all of Suzuki's in the 10 CD boxes.

SymphonicAddict

I've enjoyed his PCs 2 and 4, so this new release will be of my clear interest.

SymphonicAddict

Another interesting forthcoming release.

Florestan

Quote from: SymphonicAddict on August 12, 2019, 11:52:59 AM

Another interesting forthcoming release.

Fritx who the hell on earth?  :laugh:
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

kyjo

Quote from: SymphonicAddict on August 12, 2019, 11:40:43 AM

I've enjoyed his PCs 2 and 4, so this new release will be of my clear interest.

Very nice!! I very much enjoyed his PCs 2 and 4 as well. Röntgen rarely fails to please!
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff