New Releases

Started by Brian, March 12, 2009, 12:26:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SymphonicAddict

Quote from: Florestan on August 12, 2019, 01:06:51 PM
Fritx who the hell on earth?  :laugh:

The fact that he is practically unknown to many of us doesn't mean that his music is not worth exploring  ;)

SymphonicAddict

Quote from: kyjo on August 12, 2019, 03:19:55 PM
Very nice!! I very much enjoyed his PCs 2 and 4 as well. Röntgen rarely fails to please!

I share that feeling too. Consistency is one of his outstanding features.

Mandryka

Alessandrini Louis Couperin. No info on the instrument, two quasi-scholarly essays by Alessandrini in the booklet, the English translation is a mess. First impressions suggest an approach which is inclined to underline nobility, grace, sweetness and expressiveness more than thrilling foot tapping energetic music. There's something original in these interpretations. 

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

pjme

Quote from: SymphonicAddict on August 12, 2019, 04:12:25 PM
The fact that he is practically unknown to many of us doesn't mean that his music is not worth exploring  ;)

He has an inspirational mustache. And Wiki tells us that: "His compositions show him to be a conservative late romantic."

https://www.youtube.com/v/4IjzenuR_08

https://www.youtube.com/v/AV51UgJzYGw

Could be interesting: Raffael. Three mood pictures for choir, orchestra and organ (1902) opus 26.

Madonna di Foligno. (G major, Sehr ruhig und zart beginnen) (Text: Psalm 51)
Madonna del Granduca. (E minor, Ruhig und zart) (Text: Alma Redemptoris Mater)
Madonna di San Sisto. (G major, In ruhiger aber freudiger und freier Bewegung, ohne zu schleppen.) (Text: Hallelujah.)

kyjo

Quote from: Florestan on August 12, 2019, 01:06:51 PM
Fritx who the hell on earth?  :laugh:

What?! You've never heard of Fritz Volbach?! Have you been living under a rock?! :laugh:
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Brian

SEPTEMBER GOODIES (continued)

D. 958 and 959 studio, 960 live

"This release features a unique recording of Elgar's Falstaff played by the BBC National Orchestra of Wales under Andrew Constantine in two versions: both with and without excerpts from Shakespeare's Henry IV Parts I and II performed by Timothy West and Samuel West. Alongside Elgar's magnificent response to Shakespeare's loveable rogue, we hear American composer George Whitefield Chadwick's Tam O'Shanter, an interpretation of the poem by Scottish national poet Robert Burns."

"Alexander Veprik was regarded as a star in the young Soviet generation of composers of which Dmitri Shostakovich was a member, and his music was enthusiastically performed even in the distant West. But then he fell into disfavor as a victim of Stalin's anti-Semitic policies and was banned to the Gulag. His name disappeared from program pages – and has yet to reappear."

Brian

Happening in the studio right now (so expect it in 2020): Carolyn Sampson recording songs by Clara Schumann.

SymphonicAddict

Quote from: pjme on August 13, 2019, 12:09:36 AM

He has an inspirational mustache. And Wiki tells us that: "His compositions show him to be a conservative late romantic."

https://www.youtube.com/v/4IjzenuR_08

https://www.youtube.com/v/AV51UgJzYGw

Could be interesting: Raffael. Three mood pictures for choir, orchestra and organ (1902) opus 26.

Madonna di Foligno. (G major, Sehr ruhig und zart beginnen) (Text: Psalm 51)
Madonna del Granduca. (E minor, Ruhig und zart) (Text: Alma Redemptoris Mater)
Madonna di San Sisto. (G major, In ruhiger aber freudiger und freier Bewegung, ohne zu schleppen.) (Text: Hallelujah.)

Thanks for that. Is the 2nd video a work by Brahms? Sounds so peaceful.

pjme

As far as I could find out, it is a version by Friedrich Krell or Heinz Krause-Graumnitz.
https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Friedrich_Krell

Brahms version is quite different - but very beautiful aswell.

https://www.youtube.com/v/UtC-QhjzjBs

Madiel

Quote from: Brian on August 13, 2019, 08:41:31 AM

I'm loving that particular cover.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Ras

In October DG will be releasing a box with all of Beethoven's symphonies with Andris Nelsons and the Wiener Philharmoniker:

[asin]B07TJKC26B[/asin]
"Music is life and, like it, inextinguishable." - Carl Nielsen

Brian

That's got to be the ugliest cover art of 2019.

SonicMan46

Quote from: Brian on August 13, 2019, 08:41:31 AM

Well, there is a lot of competition for the Reicha Wind Quintets, including several complete sets of the 24 works!  I own the 12-CD box w/ the Westwood Wind Quintet w/ 2 quintets per disc, so I was surprised how the Belfiato Quintet got 3 pieces onto one CD?  Looking at my own timings, 3 of the shorter works were chosen; most of Reicha's Wind Quintets are in the 30-40 minute range.  Dave :)

Mandryka

Ras

Quote from: Brian on August 17, 2019, 12:35:12 PM
That's got to be the ugliest cover art of 2019.

More ugly covers for you Brian!  ::) ??? 8)

[asin]B07TMRRBXL[/asin]

[asin]B07VDMP7RR[/asin]

[asin]B07TPYXDFP[/asin]

[asin]B07TNVX8P1[/asin]
"Music is life and, like it, inextinguishable." - Carl Nielsen

Madiel

Quote from: Ras on August 17, 2019, 11:44:14 AM
In October DG will be releasing a box with all of Beethoven's symphonies with Andris Nelsons and the Wiener Philharmoniker:

[asin]B07TJKC26B[/asin]

Dear Deutsche Grammophon,

The graphic designer intern isn't going to work out. I'm sorry.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

pjme

https://www.youtube.com/v/E0s-0rOK6zM

This is the world premiere performance in Leipzig (2016). Pianistic fun for very nimble fingers.
I pictured Carmen Miranda, Leonard Bernstein, Aaron Copland and Darius Milhaud drinking tequila in a bar in Caracas trying to explain simultaneously to mrs. Montero how to play Satie, Chavez , Villa Lobos and  Ginastera.
Movements: Mambo - Andante moderato - Allegro Venezolano.
I really hope she gets the chance to play it regularly!

Mandryka

Will appeal to people who like Sempe/Fortin and early Hantai, all three of whom have worked with her.

QuoteA zone is an area, a space, a section. Physical, geographical, psychological. A zone is defined – or perhaps defines itself. One zone can commit frottage with another. There is no obligation for fluid movement from one zone to another. How do you talk about music that is self-defined? Why do you talk about music that is self-defined? Domenico Scarlatti's sonatas, a singular and unique corpus of some 555 keyboard pieces that range from the naïve to the deranged (often within the confines of a single sonata) could be compared to a variety of concepts outside music. Musically, however, it is particularly difficult to analyze and describe the mechanics of the obsessive, magical, redundant or absurd. I believe that you, reading and mostly, I hope, listening to this object, will understand within a few phrases (musical or textual) that I don't talk about the music. Honestly, even when I am playing, I am not really talking about music. The music speaks or paints or dances. I undergo whatever contortions necessary to make it work, until I am in the zone. There are free-association poems by Guillaume Apollinaire that read beautifully like Scarlatti sonatas; pieces by Maurice Ravel mimicking the repetitive suspension of time that architecturalizes this repertoire; pliage comme méthode by Simon Hantaï; or dripping by Jackson Pollock (if you want a refresher, google the images!) that match the static electricity of unrelated, looping cells of tonal tension. Zones, you know.

Oh ok, so each sonata is a zone? Girl wants to be conceptual – who needs Tumblr, right? No no no, zones last a bar, two bars, five repetitions of the same phrase. I mean, it is hard to predict. I think that is the point, actually. When you are in the zone, it doesn't matter.

When you change zones, Domenico doesn't care if you would like time to shift, k thx bai. It shifts. Because he said so. I don't even think it is capricious. Just...wrong. The zones are volcanic, dull, annoying, beautiful, rigid, incoherent.
Recording is itself a uniquely fragmented process. I only have snapshot memories of it. Darkness, the few hours of the night when it is quiet, splashes of light when you go listen in the back. Disembodied voices talk to you in snippets. You are in the zone. They are the zone. I don't think there is better music for a first recording precisely because the music itself is the image of the medium: spliced. Who writes music that splices itself ? A number of arguments have been written about Scarlatti's personal and artistic disjointedness. I don't talk about composers either – I don't know Domenico personally.

The sonatas are spaces on the page, shifted barlines, broken records. They are headspaces that shouldn't follow suite, where abrupt silence and run-on confusion mix and match almost like experimentations in schizophrenia. I think you have to almost embrace dysmorphia, discomfort with the self and the boundaries of a space-time continuum to take the thin line off the page and submerge, breathless, in 80 minutes of Scarlatti.

Get in the zone.

Lillian Gordis, December 2018

aukhawk

So she's discovered Scarlatti - get over it, "girl" !   ::)

Maestro267

I'm sure we could have an entire thread devoted to ridiculously over-the-top and pretentious promotional statements.