New Releases

Started by Brian, March 12, 2009, 12:26:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SymphonicAddict

I stumbled upon another rare release:

Todd

On the one hand, Nelson Freire!  On the other hand, encores.  I'll still bite.

More Beethoven releases for the upcoming year.  The Dalberto is a must-buy.  Oehms and Naxos appear to be in a poorly lit cover image contest.

In case you wanted to know how well Salman Rushdie's niece plays.

What an awful, awful cover.

Tanja Tetzlaff playing Bach alone is appealing.  Thorsten Encke, in my admittedly limited experience with his music, writes good stuff, making this disc even more intriguing.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Brian

The Inkinen appears to be a continuation of a cycle started by the rather uninteresting Karl-Marek Chichon.

I wonder what the premiere of Beethoven No. 6 is. I thought people referred to Op. 61a as No. 6.

Hope there's some fun Brazilian stuff on the Freire.

JBS

Quote from: Brian on September 07, 2019, 12:58:19 PM

I wonder what the premiere of Beethoven No. 6 is. I thought people referred to Op. 61a as No. 6.

Probably this
QuotePiano Concerto No. 6 in D major, Hess 15 is an unfinished piano concerto by German composer Ludwig van Beethoven.

In (estimated) late 1814 and early 1815,[1] Beethoven spent a great deal of time on a project that never reached completion: a piano concerto in D major, which would if completed have been the sixth. He made about seventy pages of sketches for the first movement. He even started writing out a full score (MS Artaria 184 in the Staatsbibliothek zu Berlin), which runs almost uninterrupted from the beginning of the movement to the middle of the solo exposition (bar 182), although the scoring becomes patchy as the work proceeds and there are signs of indecision or dissatisfaction on the composer's part. Beethoven abandoned the work, and this partial movement (known as Hess 15)[1] remains one of the most substantial of Beethoven's unrealized conceptions.[2]

A completion of the first movement was reconstructed by British scholar Nicholas Cook in 1987.
[From Wikipedia]

As for Concerto Zero
QuoteLudwig van Beethoven's Piano Concerto in E flat major, WoO 4, is one of his earlier works, written in 1784 when he was only 14. Only the solo piano part survives today, although there are some indications in the manuscript for orchestral cues.[1] On the occasions when the work has been performed, the orchestral part has had to be arranged beforehand. The concerto is sometimes referred to as Piano Concerto No. 0, as it came before all of Beethoven's other piano concertos. It is rarely performed. Pianists Howard Shelley and Ronald Brautigam have each made their own reconstructions of the concerto.

BTW, Wikipedia's listing also includes a fragment of a violin concerto (part of the first movement remains) and a lost oboe concerto for which some sketches survive. Both of these date from 1790-1793.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Mandryka

I have been playing the Delphin Strungk all day, a strange mixture of  melancholy and nobility and solemnity and seriousness. Well enough recorded, maybe a bit splashy - bass there, midrange there, a splash of treble up there - but that may reflect the church acoustic. Fabulous instruments evidently. The influence of Peter Philips and hence to Sweelinck is palpable everywhere.

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Mandryka

People who have been collecting the previous recordings in the series know what to expect!

Mandryka

This is a real treat, a new Isaac mass sing brilliantly by Cappella Mariana.

Mandryka

Some important composers on this one, Senfl, Gombert, Frye. Sweet singing. This is something I want to explore.

Brian

Beethoven 2020 is gonna be wild...

Vol. 1 ORCHESTRAL MUSIC:
• CD 1-15 Symphonies, Overtures etc.: Abbado, Bernstein, Böhm, Chailly, Gardiner, Giulini, Karajan, Kleiber, Monteux, Nelsons, Szell
• CD 16-23 Concertos: Argerich, Barenboim, Brendel, Buchbinder, Gulda, Kempff, Mutter, Pollini, Repin, Zimerman
Vol. 2 MUSIC FOR THE STAGE:
• CD 24-27 Ballet Music, Incidental Music, Dances & Marches: Abbado, Chung, Karajan, Maazel, Marriner
• CD 28-31 Opera: Abbado, Gardiner
Vol. 3: KEYBOARD MUSIC
• CD 32-43 Piano Sonatas: Arrau, Ashkenazy, Brendel, Cascioli, Curzon, de Larrocha, Freire, Gilels, Grimaud, Gulda, Kissin, Kocsis, Kovacevich, Lang Lang, Lupu, Perahia, Pletnev, Pollini, Uchida
• CD 44-51 Keyboard Works
Vol. 4 CHAMBER MUSIC
• CD 52-55 Violin Sonatas: Dumay, Kremer, Menuhin, Mutter, Perlman
• CD 56-57 Cello Sonatas: Maisky
• CD 58-59 Flute & Other Duos: Gallois, Hagen Quartett, Tuckwell
• CD 60-64 Piano Trios: Beaux Arts Trio, Mullova/Schiff/Previn, Szeryng/Kempff/Fournier
• CD 65-67 String Trios: Mutter/Giuranna/Rostropovich
• CD 68-77 String Quartets: Emerson String Quartet, Hagen Quartett, Takacs Quartet
• CD 78-81 Large Chamber Music: Amadeus Quartet
Vol. 5 LIEDER & PARTSONGS
• CD 82-85 Fischer-Dieskau, Schreier, Stolte
Vol. 6 FOLKSONG SETTINGS
• CD 86-92 Martineau
Vol. 7 VOCAL WORKS WITH ORCHESTRA
• CD 93 Vocal Works with Orchestra: Abbado, Tilson Thomas
• CD 94-97 Masses: Cantatas Chung, Gardiner, Karajan, Thielemann
• CD 98 Christus am Ölberge: Klee
Vol. 8 WORLD PREMIERES & RARITIES
• CD 99-101 Goerne, Hope, Koch
Vol. 9 CLASSIC PERFORMANCES & PERIOD INSTRUMENT PERFORMANCES
+ SUPPLEMENT
• CD 102-118 Busch, Fricsay, Furtwängler, Jochum, E. Kleiber, Klemperer, Nikisch, Scherchen, R. Strauss, Backhaus, Fournier, Haskil, Levin, Michelangeli, Pogorelich, S. Richter, Schnabel, Serkin
Busch Quartet, Lindsay Quartet, Quartetto Italiano, Bartoli, Nilsson, Pavarotti, Vickers, von Otter
• BD Audio 119-121 Symphonies Piano Sonatas, String Quartets: Karajan (1962), Kempff (1960s), Amadeus Quartet (1960s)
• DVD 122/123 Symphonies 4 & 7, Fidelio: Kleiber, Bernstein

Artemis Quartett, Daniel Barenboim, Rudolf Buchbinder, Renaud Capuçon, Dietrich Fischer-Dieskau, Carlo Maria Giulini, Bernard Haitink, Nikolaus Harnoncourt, Otto Klemperer, Stephen Kovacevich, Yo-Yo Ma, Yehudi Menuhin, Itzhak Perlman, Jacqueline du Pré, András Schiff u.a. Die CD-Cover zieren Gemälde großer Beethoven-Zeitgenossen wie Caspar David Friedrich oder Josef Anton Koch.

plus previously announced boxes of John Eliot Gardiner's complete Beethoven recordings for Archiv and Igor Levit's new sonata cycle on Sony.

EDIT: Missed one, Martin Helmchen and Andrew Manze are doing a concerto cycle with the Deutsches SO Berlin on Alpha.

Mandryka

Some Ockeghem songs are wonderful and this could just be very special. By coincidence I listened to their Dufay a few weeks ago and thoroughly enjoyed it.

5 voice madrigals. Includes readings of poems by Petrarch in Italian.

Mandryka

Quote from: Mandryka on September 09, 2019, 10:02:27 AM

People who have been collecting the previous recordings in the series know what to expect!
Listening now to this I feel that that comment, which reveals a certain blasé feeling on my part, doesn't do the recording justice. They get better and better in Machaut -- in particular we hear more of Mark Dobell, who I like, and less of Matthew Venner.

Roasted Swan

Quote from: Brian on September 07, 2019, 12:58:19 PM
The Inkinen appears to be a continuation of a cycle started by the rather uninteresting Karl-Marek Chichon.

Did you hear the Chichon discs?  I thought they were actually very good.  He had a natural unaffected feel for the music that suited these early Dvorak Symphonies very well.  Well recorded and very sympathetically played too.  I was/will be very sorry that the cycle never reached the later works.......

San Antone

Quote from: Mandryka on September 09, 2019, 10:02:27 AM

I will certainly buy this since I have all the others, and I think this is the last installment.  I have enjoyed this series quite a lot.

Madiel

Quote from: Brian on September 09, 2019, 12:03:31 PM
Vol. 9 CLASSIC PERFORMANCES & PERIOD INSTRUMENT PERFORMANCES
+ SUPPLEMENT
• CD 102-118 Busch, Fricsay, Furtwängler, Jochum, E. Kleiber, Klemperer, Nikisch, Scherchen, R. Strauss, Backhaus, Fournier, Haskil, Levin, Michelangeli, Pogorelich, S. Richter, Schnabel, Serkin
Busch Quartet, Lindsay Quartet, Quartetto Italiano, Bartoli, Nilsson, Pavarotti, Vickers, von Otter
• BD Audio 119-121 Symphonies Piano Sonatas, String Quartets: Karajan (1962), Kempff (1960s), Amadeus Quartet (1960s)
• DVD 122/123 Symphonies 4 & 7, Fidelio: Kleiber, Bernstein

This is what kills such boxes for me. Hi, would you like to buy an extra 20 or so discs? You've already bought a 100 so let's sell you the same compositions again because we have more of our catalogue that we want to squeeze some value out of. It's not the complete Beethoven, it's the complete roster.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Brian

Quote from: Madiel on September 09, 2019, 02:20:17 PM
This is what kills such boxes for me. Hi, would you like to buy an extra 20 or so discs? You've already bought a 100 so let's sell you the same compositions again because we have more of our catalogue that we want to squeeze some value out of. It's not the complete Beethoven, it's the complete roster.

This set goes even further with the complete roster mentality by dividing every cycle but the cello sonatas among multiple performers. Hope you think they chose properly dividing the quartets among Emerson, Hagen, and Takacs!

Quote from: Roasted Swan on September 09, 2019, 02:03:13 PM
Did you hear the Chichon discs?  I thought they were actually very good.  He had a natural unaffected feel for the music that suited these early Dvorak Symphonies very well.  Well recorded and very sympathetically played too.  I was/will be very sorry that the cycle never reached the later works.......

Yes I did. Oddly enough I agree with you on his traits. It's just that to my ears, unaffected came across as uninterested at times.

Brian

MORE OCTOBER GOODIES

"Gordon Safari" yeah sure that's totally a real name

This is a 3CD highlight box of Kocsis' Hungaroton recordings. Despite the cover, only half of one CD has him as conductor (for Kossuth, the divertimento, and the violin concerto with Barnabas Kelemen). The rest is mostly chamber music - Cage, Bartok, Debussy - plus a single movement from Schubert's Trout and a couple solo pieces by Mozart and Haydn. Oddly chosen.

Also Naxos will release Weinberg's Flute Concertos and Beethoven's Egmont and woodwind music (part of their very obvious attempt to get a Complete Works box ready for 2020). Inon Barnatan is also doing a Beethoven concerto cycle, with Alan Gilbert.

SymphonicAddict

Piano Trio, Piano Quartet and Piano Quintet. I know his symphonies and all they are very good. No. 2 is not recorded yet for some strange reason.

JBS

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

vandermolen

I like the look of this. Same Van Gogh cover image as Langgaard symphonies 4-6 on Chandos:
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

San Antone

A couple I will keep my out for, soon to be released from Hyperion:

The Silken Tent
C‎LARE WILKINSON mezzo-soprano
F‎RETWORK

QuoteFrom Byrd and Gibbons through to Nyman and Goehr, this album puts to bed the idea that the viol is a spent force, the instruments' beguiling lines sinuously interweaving with soprano voice—and taking in some arresting arrangements.

Palestrina
Lamentations, Second Book of Lamentations
Cinquecento

QuoteThe members of Cinquecento turn to perhaps the pre-eminent composer of the sixteenth century: Giovanni Pierluigi da Palestrina. Settings of the Lamentations of Jeremiah would have been integral to the liturgical rites of Holy Week: here is one of the most sublime.