New Releases

Started by Brian, March 12, 2009, 12:26:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

j winter

Quote from: André on October 07, 2019, 05:51:10 AM
Same with his Bruckner. It's a beautiful mansion, but it's uninhabitated.

Ouch.

Good line  8)
The man that hath no music in himself,
Nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds,
Is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils.
The motions of his spirit are dull as night,
And his affections dark as Erebus.
Let no such man be trusted.

-- William Shakespeare, The Merchant of Venice

Mandryka

Quote from: Brian on October 07, 2019, 12:31:44 PM

edit: Stephen Rice and The Brabant Ensemble present Hellinck Missa Surrexit pastor and Lupi Te Deum & motets

Egidius Kwartet recorded a Hellinck mass, Missa Peccara Mea. It's sweet Renaissance music, but there are passages which seem to suggest a composer who was not entirely trapped in the routine of the times. Stephen Rice is likely to take a rather different approach to the music, which could be good, but could be less than good.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Mandryka

Madrigals interspersed with recitals of poems. You can cut the poems out easily because they're on their own tracks. The newness of interpretation is about the order of the texts, Scott Metcalfe argues not just that the keys (modes) of each madrigal is chosen to transmit an affect, but also that there's an overarching structure of both narrative and music.

They use men only for half the songs, and a woman in the top line for the other half. The singing seems rather nice, more my cup of char.. But it's early days yet, I've only just got the recording, and in truth I'm a bit more interested in Du Fay today than de Rore!

The booklet seems, at first glance, thought provoking, especially for me on pitch. But I need more time to get my head round it all.

Mandryka

Yet another WTC, they're all at it! Perfectly nice copy of a Ruckers, well enough recorded without being exceptionally so. The performances seem OK without having anything obviously special to say. This will get completely lost in the other 200 recordings of the music, even though Giedré Lukšaité-Mrázková is clearly well able to play it. I'm getting too blasé -- would someone who's relatively fresh to this music please listen and comment, slap me across the face and wake me up.

Mandryka

Sub Marais played in a totally hum drum way -- on the basis of the first suite, couldn't be bothered to listen to more. 

Mandryka

Quote from: "Harry" on October 08, 2019, 09:16:49 AM
I resent that remark my friend, you hit the ball far of centre with that.

I'm sorry, I shall delete it.

JBS

Winterreise is coming.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Madiel

Quote from: Mandryka on October 08, 2019, 09:50:28 AM
I'm sorry, I shall delete it.

By quoting, he's preserved it!
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Mandryka

Quote from: Mandryka on October 08, 2019, 08:01:07 AM

Madrigals interspersed with recitals of poems. You can cut the poems out easily because they're on their own tracks. The newness of interpretation is about the order of the texts, Scott Metcalfe argues not just that the keys (modes) of each madrigal is chosen to transmit an affect, but also that there's an overarching structure of both narrative and music.

They use men only for half the songs, and a woman in the top line for the other half. The singing seems rather nice, more my cup of char.. But it's early days yet, I've only just got the recording, and in truth I'm a bit more interested in Du Fay today than de Rore!

The booklet seems, at first glance, thought provoking, especially for me on pitch. But I need more time to get my head round it all.

Digging deeper into this, the music is as far as I can see new to recordings, I can't find any of these madrigals anywhere else.

As far as the music goes, it reminds me of my bête noire, Willaert's Musica Nova. You have been warned!

My feeling is that they've interspersed the poems for a good reason: they want to hint that the only way to appreciate this stuff is by being in touch with the words.

Re Willaert and Rore, Blue Heron Sound thicker and heavier than Singer Pur, less airy and lithe.  Blue Heron are not my favourite, a bit of a blind spot for me at the moment.

So one good thing that the new release has done is prompt me to revisit the Musica Nova madrigals, with more pleasure than ever before!

Roy Bland

San Antone

Cypriano de Rore: Missa "Vivat Felix Hercules" and motets
Weser-Renaissance, Manfred Cordes

Release Date: 27th Sep 2019

QuoteCipriano de Rore, a native of Ronse, embodies with his music the multifacetedness and cosmopolitan influence of the Franco-Flemish epoch. His significance in music history can hardly be overestimated, and his extraordinary position between the prima practica and seconda practica makes him simultaneously a guardian of the tradition and a trailblazer of the "new music." The Mass "Vivat felix Hercules secundus" from the genre of Masses for secular princes was probably composed by de Rore shortly after his arrival in Ferrara and is to be understood as a tribute to his employer, Ercole II d'Este, whose name de Rore honored in a remarkable manner. In each part of the Mass the tenor voice sings the text "Vivat felix Hercules secundus, dux Ferrariae quartus" (Long live the happy Ercole II, the fourth Duke of Ferrara). In addition to the text of the Ordinary, then, a second, worldly level is integrated into the Mass composition, which at the same time works toward the goal of lending the secular ruler – as a mediating instance between the sacred and secular spheres – a quasi-divine status. Along with the Mass, motets by de Rore are also heard here: works in which the composer assimilates techniques such as the canon, cantus firmus, and soggetto ostinato.

Todd

He was such a rebel.

Another color scheme for the Chopin Institute.

I missed volume one.  I may just wait until O'Conor is done and buy them all.

Do I need version #128 of 31/3?  What a silly question, of course I do!
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Brian

Have you heard Fedorova's first recital for Channel? I haven't but the program is very tempting to me (fantasies and "sonata-fantasies" by Schumann, Beethoven, Scriabin, Chopin iirc).

Todd

Quote from: Brian on October 12, 2019, 06:03:52 AMHave you heard Fedorova's first recital for Channel?

Not yet.  It's streamable, so it sure looks like something to listen to during early morning work hours.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Mirror Image

Quote from: Brian on September 23, 2019, 12:17:21 PM
NOVEMBER PART TWO!

That Nutcracker is an 86 minute single hybrid SACD.

"In this new recording, Ales-sandrini has mounted a challenge to all currently available recordings of those four Orchestral Suites that Bach called 'Overtures', after their imposing opening movements. We don't know when these dance suites were composed, nor where they were first performed, but they were certainly played in Leipzig at the time Bach was directing its celebrated Collegium Musicum. Here Alessandrini has once again sifted all available sources, putting the composer's entire output under the microscope to identify the most authentic details of style and orchestration. The result is a subtle balance between Bach's intricate contrapuntal writing and the spontaneity of his dances, with their French and Italian influences. Together with these majestic, festive, radiant works by J.S. Bach, Concerto Italiano presents two Overtures in the same instrumental mold by Johann Bernhard and Johann Ludwig Bach –two composer cousins with whom Johann Sebastian enjoyed lifelong ties of mutual friendship and esteem. During his Leipzig years he had their Overtures copied out, so he could perform them with the Collegium Musicum. Here then is a welcome opportunity to hear these two superb orchestral pieces in the contemporary context of Bach's own music."

The Villa-Lobos looks interesting:

What I find most interesting is the 'Music Of Brazil' logo, which I hope means more Villa-Lobos will follow and perhaps some Guarnieri as well.

Mirror Image

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned yet, but this is coming in late November:

I'll have to do some research to get some kind of track listing.

Moonfish

Not sure if this compilation has been mentioned, but it definitely calls me like a siren!
<-------- Loves Baroque lute music

[asin] B07Y9BH6T3[/asin]

"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

Mandryka

I think the Conradi and Kellner recordings in that set are well worth hearing, I may have written some notes on them in the thread on lute. The rest I don't know mainly because I haven't really explored Weiss and Bach,  and those other ones who died in the late c18 are too late for me.

Brian

Quote from: Mirror Image on October 14, 2019, 07:38:09 AM
The Villa-Lobos looks interesting:

What I find most interesting is the 'Music Of Brazil' logo, which I hope means more Villa-Lobos will follow and perhaps some Guarnieri as well.

Naxos and the Brazilian government are sponsoring a big series, yeah. To quote Klaus Heymann: "This is a monumental, 5-year undertaking to produce around 30 releases of some 100 works by Brazilian composers, focusing mainly on orchestral repertoire. There will be many first recordings together with the publication of newly edited or first edition scores. Naxos is collaborating with the Cultural Department of Brazil's Ministry of Foreign Affairs, three of the country's leading orchestras and the Brazilian Academy of Music for this exciting development."

Mirror Image

Quote from: Brian on October 14, 2019, 09:20:43 AM
Naxos and the Brazilian government are sponsoring a big series, yeah. To quote Klaus Heymann: "This is a monumental, 5-year undertaking to produce around 30 releases of some 100 works by Brazilian composers, focusing mainly on orchestral repertoire. There will be many first recordings together with the publication of newly edited or first edition scores. Naxos is collaborating with the Cultural Department of Brazil's Ministry of Foreign Affairs, three of the country's leading orchestras and the Brazilian Academy of Music for this exciting development."

Nice! Will be interested to see what all appears and it'd be nice to get some Villa-Lobos works that haven't been recorded yet. I'll have to check my notes to see which VL works have yet to have a recording.