New Releases

Started by Brian, March 12, 2009, 12:26:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mandryka

Quote from: San Antone on October 26, 2019, 07:21:18 AM
Thanks for the info.  But I don't know what you are hearing, i.e. "Jiggery Pockery/hanky panky".  I am listening on Spotify and it sounds fairly conventional.  But I could be missing something since I only know Dowland's Lachrimae somewhat superficially.

Have a listen to Lachrimae gementes. What instruments are playing? Is there any embellishment?
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

San Antone

Quote from: Mandryka on October 26, 2019, 07:28:17 AM
Have a listen to Lachrimae gementes. What instruments are playing? Is there any embellishment?

I loaded five versions of Lachrimae gementes into a playlist and listened to them back-to-back:

Nigel North, Les Voix Humaines
Christiano Contadin, Opera Prima Consort
Romina Lischka, Hathor Consort
Gambe di Legno Consort
The Rose Consort of Viols

I really cannot hear much difference between the Christiano Contadin and the others - some varying in tempo, the Hathor Consort is much slower - but the manner of playing of all seem within a range of expression which would not have Contadin's stick out. 

What am I missing that you are hearing?

Mandryka

Quote from: San Antone on October 26, 2019, 08:05:54 AM
I loaded five versions of Lachrimae gementes into a playlist and listened to them back-to-back:

Nigel North, Les Voix Humaines
Christiano Contadin, Opera Prima Consort
Romina Lischka, Hathor Consort
Gambe di Legno Consort
The Rose Consort of Viols

I really cannot hear much difference between the Christiano Contadin and the others - some varying in tempo, the Hathor Consort is much slower - but the manner of playing of all seem within a range of expression which would not have Contadin's stick out. 

What am I missing that you are hearing?

Isn't there some sort of blown thing, a recorder or something, mixed in with the string instruments, in the Contadin? Say at 2,26 of the Lachrimae gementes.

San Antone

Quote from: Mandryka on October 26, 2019, 08:11:41 AM
Isn't there some sort of blown thing, a recorder or something, mixed in with the string instruments, in the Contadin? Say at 2,26 of the Lachrimae gementes.

Yes, there is a recorder.  Is that what bothers you?  I just interpreted that as a added color.  Some of these feature the lute more prominently, most are primarily viols.  Contadin decided to throw in a recorder.  I would not describe that as "hanky-panky".  It is kind of nice to have that color, IMO; the others take on a sameness of timbre over time.

Mandryka

Is the recorder playing diminutions?  I'm not sure.

San Antone

Quote from: Mandryka on October 26, 2019, 08:51:06 AM
Is the recorder playing diminutions?  I'm not sure.

I think the recorder is playing a line made up from the lute part and/or the viols.  I don't think there is anything not found in the original music.

Mandryka

I think generally they're rather imaginative with diminutions, if I'm right then this may make it a specially interesting release, because it's like they're applying Silvestro Ganassi's ideas in La Fontegara. I may be wrong of course.

premont

Quote from: Mandryka on October 26, 2019, 06:51:12 AM

https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/art/grandes-orgues-1710/hnum/9497636

He's giving a concert there next year. Do I want to go?

I think it must depend upon what he intends to play. If it is Marchand and alike I would pass him by.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

premont

Quote from: Mandryka on October 26, 2019, 12:48:28 PM
I think generally they're rather imaginative with diminutions, if I'm right then this may make it a specially interesting release, because it's like they're applying Silvestro Ganassi's ideas in La Fontegara. I may be wrong of course.

Frankly, I do not think diminutions are well placed in Dowland's Lacrimae, because the music already from the hand of the composer is so very complicated rhythmically.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Roy Bland

Mandryka

Quote from: (: premont :) on October 26, 2019, 01:16:03 PM
I think it must depend upon what he intends to play. If it is Marchand and alike I would pass him by.

Same as the CD -- the Clerambaut could be good. In fact the idea of Koopman playing a Louis Marchand dialogue very fast on that organ could be quite an experience.

Mandryka

Sounds pretty good to me, something I will be exploring,

Mandryka

I've only listened to the D'Andrieu sonata which starts the disc off, and it sounds charming!

San Antone

Quote from: Mandryka on October 28, 2019, 12:10:03 AM

Sounds pretty good to me, something I will be exploring,

According to Spotify it is not new but dates from 1996.  The inclusion of female voices ruins it for me.  The recording by the Norbertine Fathers is better, IMO, and newer, 2011.

Norbertine Fathers of St. Michael's Abbey

Mandryka

Quote from: San Antone on October 28, 2019, 04:07:02 AM
According to Spotify it is not new but dates from 1996.  The inclusion of female voices ruins it for me.  The recording by the Norbertine Fathers is better, IMO, and newer, 2011.

Ah. That's happening to me more and more -- old recordings showing up on lists of new releases.

JBS

US release date this Friday
[asin]B07TNVWKTR[/asin]
Two Josquin masses that may not be by Josquin
QuotePeter Phillips and The Tallis Scholars's project to record all of Josquin's Masses now runs into controversy. One of Josquin's greatest compositions, Missa Mater Patris, is so unusual that some scholars have questioned its authorship. With Missa Da pacem these questions become more pressing. Having been thought during the 19th century to be the most typical and perfect of all Josquin's Masses, it has recently been shown to be a work of the little-known Noel Bauldeweyn. Or is it?

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Mandryka

Quote from: JBS on October 28, 2019, 12:04:22 PM
US release date this Friday
[asin]B07TNVWKTR[/asin]
Two Josquin masses that may not be by Josquin

Yes I've been resisting buying this, though I heard him do one of them in a concert, I can't remember which one, da pacem maybe, and it was impeccable, just so well balanced and slick.

JBS

Quote from: Mandryka on October 28, 2019, 01:12:20 PM
Yes I've been resisting buying this, though I heard him do one of them in a concert, I can't remember which one, da pacem maybe, and it was impeccable, just so well balanced and slick.

Yes...The Tallis Scholars style seems to leave people either very impressed or very bored  :laugh:

However if I remember correctly the only other Bauldewyn recording to be found on CD is the four masses by Beauty Farm, so Phillips is opening up some new territory, even if it is only a byproduct of his Josquin project.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

amw

Second volume out now. Has anyone heard the first?

Kawamura seems to be planning to record only 14 of the sonatas, so there should be one or two more volumes to come, unless she changes her mind later.