New Releases

Started by Brian, March 12, 2009, 12:26:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DavidW, Madiel and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

Mandryka

Luys Milan etc - the usual suspects. There's also a Vol 2 and a whole bunch of other recordings too. I'm impressed by the imagination and finesse of lutenists coming out of Asia, so I shall be listening to this.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Mandryka

https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/8689393--global-player-maximilian-musikalisches-networking-um-1500

My feeling is that this is very nice singing of very nice music -- top quality, small ensemble sometimes a capella. This is good, my radar says.

I like the idea of calling Maximilian a global player, and I like the subtitle -- Musikalisches Networking um 1500. Ensemble rosarum flores are clearly my style. The label may well have other interesting things

http://shop.tiroler-landesmuseen.at/cd-dvd/musikmuseum.html

Mandryka

Brian

Hmmm:

"Superstar tenor, Roberto Alagna, returns with his sensational new album Caruso. Caruso 1873 is Alagna's tribute to the Neapolitan singer who Alagna considers to be the greatest tenor of all time. Alagna honours his legendary predecessor with a selection of repertoire drawn from Caruso's own recording career, which stretched from 1902 to 1920. Alagna is accompanied by the critically acclaimed Orchestre National D'ile-de-France, singers Aleksandra Kurzak and Rafal Siwek and conductor, pianist and arranger, yvan Cassar. The music chosen is a journey back in time through Caruso's eclectic repertoire."

"As bonus track it contains the 3rd movement of the "Tempest" sonata."

We now know the contents of this one, which was posted a few pages back:

Chopin's Ballades, Liszt's Petrarca sonnets, and Scriabin's Fourth Sonata + poemes Op 32

"Alexandre Tharaud pays tribute to composers associated with the courts of the French kings Louis XIV, XV and XVI. Lully, Rameau, Charpentier and François Couperin stand beside lesser-known masters: d'Anglebert, Forqueray, Royer, Duphly and Balbastre. "I've always been attracted by French music of this period," says Tharaud, adding that when he plays the album's initial Rameau prelude, "It's like being alone at Versailles, opening the doors and entering those huge, imposing rooms.""

with soprano Sabine Devieilhe, second pianist Justin Taylor, and a simultaneous release on vinyl

New Roussel!

Mandryka

Quote from: Mandryka on November 04, 2019, 12:25:37 AM

When she sings high she can bring an attractive vulnerability to the music, I get a strong impression that these are "inhabited" interpretations, well thought through. I shall be exploring.

This is an exceptional, outstanding, release.

Mandryka

Quote from: Mandryka on November 04, 2019, 12:09:57 AM

What looks like an interesting essay in the booklet on Bach's use of viola da piccolo in the cantatas etc.

This is another exceptionally interesting recording, the counterpoint, the clarity of the lower voices, it's quite a revelation. He's quite free with ornamentation, and dynamics, I can't comment on how informed his practice is, I suspect not at all!

It's challenging like Helene Schmitt is challenging, so now you've been warned. You may think it's a farce.

San Antone

Quote from: Mandryka on November 04, 2019, 12:52:09 PM
This is another exceptionally interesting recording, the counterpoint, the clarity of the lower voices, it's quite a revelation. He's quite free with ornamentation, and dynamics, I can't comment on how informed his practice is, I suspect not at all!

It's challenging like Helene Schmitt is challenging, so now you've been warned.

I am still listening, but my initial reaction has been to not like his tone on the instrument.

Mandryka

Quote from: San Antone on November 04, 2019, 01:01:38 PM
I am still listening, but my initial reaction has been to not like his tone on the instrument.

Hard to know what volume to play it at, I've turned it quite low and that seems to be a good thing. The big bad fugue in 1005 is bizarre, full of jolting mood swings, empfindsamer style. But maybe that's ok! (I like to hear the trio sonata in opfer played like that, so why not this?)

Mirror Image

Super excited for this early January release:

https://www.hyperion-records.co.uk/dc.asp?dc=D_CDA68280

I've really loved Brabbins' RVW recordings so far. Definitely hope this recording is as good as the others.

71 dB

Wow, BIS releases a box of all 10 CDs of Suzuki J. S. Bach secular cantatas!

https://bis.se/conductors/suzuki-masaaki/js-bach-the-complete-secular-cantatas

I have only volumes 1 & 2 so I think getting this is a great deal!  $:)
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: 71 dB on November 05, 2019, 02:09:14 PM

Nice! I've been getting Suzuki's Beethoven lately, might be time for some Bach. I've heard good things about this cycle... :)

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

The new erato

Quote from: 71 dB on November 05, 2019, 02:09:14 PM

According to DHL tracking information, it will be in my mailbox in a couple of days.  :D

I've had it on backorder for 3 weeks......

Mandryka

Quote from: Mandryka on November 04, 2019, 04:14:44 AM

Organologically this is interesting

Well recorded and it sounds as though he's a sensitive performer. I shall definitely be exploring. The booklet contains what looks like a good essay on the evolution of the toccata.

https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/8658117--toccata

This is turning out to be a rather enjoyable recital CD.

premont

Quote from: Mandryka on November 04, 2019, 01:03:09 PM
Hard to know what volume to play it at, I've turned it quite low and that seems to be a good thing. The big bad fugue in 1005 is bizarre, full of jolting mood swings, empfindsamer style. But maybe that's ok! (I like to hear the trio sonata in opfer played like that, so why not this?)

How is his four string violoncello piccolo tuned? Like a normal cello (CGDA) or like a violin (GDAE) but an octave lower?
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Roy Bland

Mandryka

Quote from: (: premont :) on November 06, 2019, 02:35:27 PM
How is his four string violoncello piccolo tuned? Like a normal cello (CGDA) or like a violin (GDAE) but an octave lower?

Violin tuning an octave lower.

Alek Hidell

Quote from: Brian on October 30, 2019, 10:37:43 AM
Not a ton of DECEMBER info just yet but here are some highlights of what we do know:

I just have to say, I love the name Pancho Vladigerov.
"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist." - Hélder Pessoa Câmara

vandermolen

Quote from: Alek Hidell on November 07, 2019, 07:23:44 PM
I just have to say, I love the name Pancho Vladigerov.

I have a CD of his music which I rather enjoyed. That release looks interesting.

Enjoying this new release:
[asin][/asin]
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Mandryka

Quote from: Mandryka on October 28, 2019, 12:11:56 AM

I've only listened to the D'Andrieu sonata which starts the disc off, and it sounds charming!

This music seems to me totally predictable and completely uninteresting. Life's too short.

Quote from: Mandryka on November 04, 2019, 12:21:28 AM

I like The Bach Players and this is new music for me, so I'm looking forward to exploring what it's all about.

This is lovely music and is very well played. Makes you glad to be alive.