New Releases

Started by Brian, March 12, 2009, 12:26:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mandryka

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Roy Bland

pjme

...more Beethoven! And Ludwig's year hasn't started yet....
Anyway: a Belgian offering. Oh, no, a 'touch of...'

amw

More Brahms on period instruments—IIRC the third attempt at the solo works after Hardy Rittner and Piet Kuijken.

Cato

Nikolai Tcherepnin's ballet Narcissus and Echo and the tone-poem The Faraway Princess are being released after Christmas (?) in January.

It would be nice if other things by Nikolai Tcherepnin, which have never been recorded, follow soon!
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Mandryka on December 08, 2019, 10:24:11 PM

https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/8708730--theme-and-variations-mozart-beethoven-and-haydn-for-fortepiano

An attractive piano, I'm just not interested enough in the music to say more than that!

I wish they would let me program the music for him... :-\ 

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

San Antone

Two volumes of Brahms music for violin & piano.

Ulf Wallin & Roland Pöntinen

IMO, these are excellent performances.

Cato

Quote from: Cato on December 11, 2019, 04:32:40 PM
Nikolai Tcherepnin's ballet Narcissus and Echo and the tone-poem The Faraway Princess are being released after Christmas (?) in January.

It would be nice if other things by Nikolai Tcherepnin, which have never been recorded, follow soon!

With some difficulty I found a page with more information:

https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/cpo/detail/-/art/nicolai-tscherepnin-narcisse-et-echo-op-40/hnum/8977574

A German reviewer (apparently given a copy to write a review, since the release date is January 3, 2020) from the above website has given it a 5-star review:

Große Klasse!
Diese Komposition ist nur - wenn überhaupt - mit Ravels "Daphnis et Chloe" vergleichbar: die oft ähnlich impressionistisch flirrende Klangsprache, der Rausch an Klangfarben und Effeklten, verstärkt durch einen - wie bei Ravel - vokalisierenden Chor.
Bislang gab es nur eine Aufnahme im Katalog: eine sehr eindrucksvolle Chandos-Aufnahme mit Rozhdestvensky aus dem Jahr 1998. Nun hat cpo nicht für Ersatz, sondern für Konkurrenz gesorgt. Und was für welche! Setzte der russische Dirigent bei Chandos noch ganz auf kompakten Klangrausch, so fächert der Pole Borowicz mit seinem Bamberger Orchester den Klang auf, interpretiert deutlich durchsichtiger und luftiger, ohne der Musik seinen besonderen Reiz zu nehmen. Zudem ist die Musik bei cpo deutlich mehr "durchgetrackt", was die Anspielmöglichkeit einzelner Teile deutlich erweitert. Außerdem gibt es mit dem Sinfonischen Vorspiel op.4 noch eine achtminütige Zugabe. Im Ganzen eine tolle CD mit toller Musik, tollen Interpreten und einer rundum gelungenen Präsentation. Sehr zu empfehlen!

The CHANDOS CD of this work mentioned above is indeed excellent, but is unfortunately difficult to find.
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Brian

February teaser:

A Beethoven complete sonata cycle for Todd to buy, from Konstantin Lifschitz on Alpha
Also for Todd, Daniel-Ben Pienaar tackles "The Long 17th Century" in a mixed 2CD recital
Santtu-Matias Rouvali's Sibelius cycle continues
Bergen/Dausgaard Bruckner 6 and Skalkottas orchestral works on BIS

Mirror Image

Quote from: Brian on December 12, 2019, 06:52:47 AM
February teaser:
Santtu-Matias Rouvali's Sibelius cycle continues

Yes! Definitely will be buying the next installment.

Florestan

Quote from: San Antone on December 11, 2019, 06:15:59 PM
Two volumes of Brahms music for violin & piano.

Ulf Wallin & Roland Pöntinen

IMO, these are excellent performances.

To my wishlist it goes.
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

vandermolen

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Florestan

Quote from: vandermolen on December 12, 2019, 12:17:57 PM
Great photos of Brahms!

Grumpy old man!  :D

I prefer this:

I've seen the following quote attributed to James Dean:

The most important thing in life is to die young and as late as possible.

Dean or no Dean, I subscribe to it entirely. Amen!

San Antone

Quote from: Florestan on December 12, 2019, 12:16:25 PM
To my wishlist it goes.

Quote from: vandermolen on December 12, 2019, 12:17:57 PM
Great photos of Brahms!

Quote from: Florestan on December 12, 2019, 12:32:58 PM
Grumpy old man!  :D

I prefer this:

I too like the older Brahms.  Regarding the recordings, they include transcriptions of the two clarinet sonatas and a couple of his songs, for violin/piano - but the playing is exquisite, IMO.

Florestan

Quote from: San Antone on December 12, 2019, 12:51:43 PM
I too like the older Brahms.  Regarding the recordings, they include transcriptions of the two clarinet sonatas and a couple of his songs, for violin/piano - but the playing is exquisite, IMO.

I guessed that much about the clarinet sonatas but given that the transcriptions were made by Brahms himself I'm only too willing to hear them. Besides, I have other recordings by Wallin and Pontinen and they are very good. Last but not least, it's been at least a year since I haven't been listening to any Brahms...

Daverz

Quote from: Florestan on December 12, 2019, 01:04:43 PM
I guessed that much about the clarinet sonatas but given that the transcriptions were made by Brahms himself I'm only too willing to hear them. Besides, I have other recordings by Wallin and Pontinen and they are very good. Last but not least, it's been at least a year since I haven't been listening to any Brahms...

The Brahms transcriptions were for viola.

Daverz

Madiel

Quote from: Daverz on December 12, 2019, 08:53:45 PM
The Brahms transcriptions were for viola.

I thought this too. It turns out this isn't correct. He did violin transcriptions and they were published, but for some reason they've never had anything like the traction of the viola versions.

I only assume that violin players weren't starving for sonatas. Heck, they weren't even starving for BRAHMS sonatas.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Daverz

Quote from: Madiel on December 13, 2019, 12:41:51 AM
I thought this too. It turns out this isn't correct. He did violin transcriptions and they were published, but for some reason they've never had anything like the traction of the viola versions.

Ah, OK, I was relying on Wikipedia.  I'll give these transcriptions a listen, but I'm skeptical of how well they'll work.

Todd

That was fast.

More Behzod!
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya