New Releases

Started by Brian, March 12, 2009, 12:26:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Paul_Thomas on January 14, 2020, 09:10:01 AM
It's not released until late March unfortunately, but its a really interesting program, a great mix of well-known and obscure repertoire from Beethoven's writing for the soprano voice.

Exactly. Sad to hear about the March date; I hate to wait. :)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: JBS on January 14, 2020, 11:02:52 AM

The Haydn is one string quartet, Opus 71 No 2.

Looks interesting. A very fit topic for exploration, IMO.

8)

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Brian

Well, this looks fun:

Kabalevsky, Dimitry
Colas Breugnon, op.24
» Overture

Khachaturian, Aram
Spartacus
» Adagio of Spartacus and Phrygia
» Dance of the Gaditanae - Victory of Spartacus
» Scene and Dance with Crotales
» Variation of Aegina and Bacchanalia

Mussorgsky, Modest
Pictures at an Exhibition (orch. Ravel)

Rachmaninov, Sergei
Songs (12), op.21
» no.7 How fair this spot (orch. Timothy Jackson)

Shchedrin, Rodion
Concerto for Orchestra no.1 'Naughty Limericks'

Brian

Some more that slipped under the radar earlier:

Cherubini, Luigi

Marche 8 fevrier 1814
Marche 22 septembre 1810
Marche du prefet du departement de l'eure et loir
Marche funebre
Marche pour instruments a vent
Marche pour le pompe funebre du General Hoche
Marche pour le retour du prefet du departement de l'eure et loir
Marche religieuse pour le jour du sacre de Charles X
Marche religieuse pour le pompe funebre du General Hoche
Marcia composta per il signore Baron di Braun
Overture in G major
Symphony in D major (original version)

An American in Paris
Symphony in C
Amériques

Mandryka

Quote from: Brian on January 15, 2020, 06:28:28 AM

Another bloody piano player doing Bach. And in the marketing blurb he's got the barefaced cheek to suggest (wrongly as it happens) that Bach never went near one of the things.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Brian

Quote from: Mandryka on January 15, 2020, 11:08:09 AM
Another bloody piano player doing Bach. And in the marketing blurb he's got the barefaced cheek to suggest (wrongly as it happens) that Bach never went near one of the things.
Do you prefer when pianists play Bach in transcription? I have been listening this week to Jonathan Plowright's two-disc set of transcriptions by Walter Rummel and have been spellbound. Incredible music, of course (almost all from the cantatas and Magnificat), great transcriptions, great playing. But of course possibly not your thing at all.

EDIT: Ha! I just searched GMG for "Rummel" and you have recommended this set in the past.

Mandryka

Quote from: Brian on January 15, 2020, 11:46:04 AM
Do you prefer when pianists play Bach in transcription? I have been listening this week to Jonathan Plowright's two-disc set of transcriptions by Walter Rummel and have been spellbound. Incredible music, of course (almost all from the cantatas and Magnificat), great transcriptions, great playing. But of course possibly not your thing at all.

EDIT: Ha! I just searched GMG for "Rummel" and you have recommended this set in the past.

I bought the Plowright Rummel when it came out, they're fun because, if I remember right, they're just like the best tunes from the cantatas collaged together. I've not heard that stuff for about 15 years so I could be misremembering. It makes me think of those transcriptions of Scarlatti sonatas by Charles Avison.

Mandryka

Quote from: Mandryka on January 15, 2020, 11:56:08 AM
I bought the Plowright Rummel when it came out, they're fun because, if I remember right, they're just like the best tunes from the cantatas collaged together. I've not heard that stuff for about 15 years so I could be misremembering. It makes me think of those transcriptions of Scarlatti sonatas by Charles Avison.

And playing it again makes me see that I was misremembering, they're not a collage of tunes. They are fun though, I was right about that!

Plowright has a distinctive touch, and the piano is really well captured,  I don't know if he's recorded anything which interests me though, I'll have to check.

Brian

Quote from: Mandryka on January 15, 2020, 12:42:22 PM
And playing it again makes me see that I was misremembering, they're not a collage of tunes. They are fun though, I was right about that!

Plowright has a distinctive touch, and the piano is really well captured,  I don't know if he's recorded anything which interests me though, I'll have to check.
Plowright's doing the complete Brahms and has done nifty (if you like the romantics) collections of music written in homage/tribute/memory to/of Paderewski and Chopin.

I do like Avison-Scarlatti a lot too!

Roy Bland

Brian

Quick teaser for March:

- Pergolesi Stabat mater with Sandrine Piau, Christophe Rousset, and friends
- Schubert. Lucchesini. 946. 960. Oh yeah.
- the Sitkovetsky Trio begins a Beethoven cycle
- Stewart Goodyear begins and ends a Beethoven concerto cycle with the BBC National Orchestra of Wales

Brian

I'm concerned there may not be enough superstars in the chamber music portion:

Isabelle Faust (violin), Anne Katharina Schreiber (violin), Antoine Tamestit (viola), Danusha Waskiewicz (viola), Christian Poltéra (cello), Jean-Guihen Queyras (cello)

Mirror Image

Quote from: Brian on January 19, 2020, 06:32:24 AM

I'm concerned there may not be enough superstars in the chamber music portion:

Isabelle Faust (violin), Anne Katharina Schreiber (violin), Antoine Tamestit (viola), Danusha Waskiewicz (viola), Christian Poltéra (cello), Jean-Guihen Queyras (cello)

8) Awesome! Someone else tackles Arnie's Violin Concerto and it's Faust. This should be an excellent recording.

Mandryka

Lovely harpsichord, modern after the Colmar Ruckers, but it sounds better than any recording of the Colmar Ruckers that I can remember hearing! (There aren't many recordings of that instrument after its recent restoration. What Verlet played had suffered a ravalement.)  The interpretation seems very pleasant and sunny, but I haven't heard the whole thing. Sungyun Cho is one of Jacques Ogg's teaching assistants in The Hague, and she's recorded some Rameau with Ryo Terakado and Kaori Uemura.

vandermolen

February release:
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: vandermolen on January 20, 2020, 05:04:40 AM
February release:

Oddly, you left out the picture link between the 2 image brackets. I wonder what it was?  ???

8)

vandermolen

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on January 20, 2020, 06:36:03 AM
Oddly, you left out the picture link between the 2 image brackets. I wonder what it was?  ???

8)

It came out ok on my iPad. Let's do it again:

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Madiel

It worked for me on both posts.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

pjme

Quote from: Mandryka on January 15, 2020, 11:08:09 AM

I don't understand. can you explain?

I read:

It took Julien Libeer's unfailing intuition, and his in-depth knowledge of piano repertoire, to attempt the linkage highlighted by this recording. Granted, in Bach we observe a brilliant master of all manner of keyboards: organ, harpsichord, clavichord, and in Bartók we hear an extraordinary pianist of great impact. But what do the two have to do with one another?

Beyond their lifelong interest in keyboard instruments of all types (organ, harpsichord, and clavichord in the case of Bach; modern piano as a percussion instrument in the case of Bartók), other shared concerns connect these two giants of classical music who at first glance appear to be polar opposites.

The juxtaposition of the two composers is not the least appeal of this album which also marks Julien Libeer's first project for harmonia mundi: this ardent advocate of a clear and direct approach deftly combines keen intuition with a sense of formal rigour to bring four masterful examples of the 'suite' genre into a dialogue spanning across the centuries that set them apart.

https://www.julienlibeer.net/recording/bach-bartok/

vandermolen