New Releases

Started by Brian, March 12, 2009, 12:26:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roasted Swan and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.

Mandryka

QuoteThe first substantial survey of the Eton Choirbook's treasures on record, newly remastered, compiled and reissued on CD for the first time.

Copied out between 1490 and 1502, the Eton Choirbook is the most substantial extant source of English liturgical polyphony from the late 15th and very early 16th centuries. The architectural historian Nicholas Pevsner described the late-perpendicular style of buildings like the chapels of Eton and King's College, Cambridge, as a 'union of practical, matter-of-fact spirit with a sense of mystery, and an almost oriental effusion of ornament'. What we contemplate in these buildings we may hear mirrored by the music of the Eton Choirbook.

From the 1920s onwards attempts were made to perform and record pieces from the Eton Choirbook but they were hampered both by the technical demands of the music – often as thrilling as it is rhythmically complex and metrically unstable – and by its relative unfamiliarity to English cathedral choirs. Only in 1968 was a successful attempt madeby Argo to record a selection on two albums, which are united here.

The performers constituted an astute combination of an all-male choral foundation (from St Margaret Street in London) with the professional ensemble of the Purcell Consort of Voices, directed by their founder Grayston Burgess, who died in 2019. The first album documented the setting of the St Matthew Passion by Richard Davy and the second included a selection of motets compact (the Ave Maria of Cornysh and Nesciens Mater of Lambe) and spacious, most notably Browne's Stabat Mater and Fawkner's Gaude Rosa. The singing is robust rather than ethereal, and the albums blazed a trail both for this repertoire and style of performance which has been emulated by many professional early-music groups during the past half-century.

Filling out this 2CD set is a third Purcell Consort of Voices album of 15th-century repertoire recorded by Argo and never previously issued complete on CD. The flowing polyphonic style of John Dunstable and the sublime reach of Josquin des Prez are surveyed with both sacred and secular, instrumental and vocal works; highlights include the courtly elegance of Dunstable's O Rosa Bella and Josquin's affecting tribute to his teacher in the Déploration sur la Mort de Okeghem.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Brian

Not one of Hyperion's top 100 most attractive covers.

Also in April previews, get ready for BIS to release suites from Prokofiev's "The Gambler" with the Lahti Symphony, and Naxos to do Bernstein's Songfest and the solo piano music of Thomas Adès.

Roy Bland

amw

Recorded 1985

"The final album from the Auryn Quartet, who are to disband in 2021."

JBS

About Riot Ensemble
http://riotensemble.com/about-riot-ensemble/

The website mentions this new CD briefly. The music is by Jonathan Harvey.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

amw

Quote from: JBS on February 16, 2020, 07:09:04 PM
About Riot Ensemble
http://riotensemble.com/about-riot-ensemble/

The website mentions this new CD briefly. The music is by Jonathan Harvey.
Also Samantha Fernando, Aaron Holloway-Nahum and Laurence Osborn, two of whom are also musicians affiliated with the ensemble. It's already available for streaming on Deezer, Qobuz & Tidal.

It looks less crunchy than their HCR recording from last year but I haven't listened yet.

Brian

Quote from: amw on February 16, 2020, 06:59:20 PM
"The final album from the Auryn Quartet, who are to disband in 2021."
What! Boo.

Roy Bland

Mookalafalas

Complete Alban Berg Quartet (62 CD, 8DVD) box, for May 8th. The picture displays too large, so I left it out. From Amazon It.    One I'll have to spring for...
It's all good...

Mirror Image

Allow me to help:

[asin]B083XVDXXD[/asin]

JBS

Quote from: Roy Bland on February 17, 2020, 03:22:51 PM

Did you mean Volume 3, perhaps? I got the pictured CD a couple of months back.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Ratliff

Quote from: Mookalafalas on February 17, 2020, 04:49:15 PM
Complete Alban Berg Quartet (62 CD, 8DVD) box, for May 8th. The picture displays too large, so I left it out. From Amazon It.    One I'll have to spring for...

Great recordings, especially from the Telefunken era. I have too much of it already for the set to make sense.

Que

Quote from: Baron Scapia on February 17, 2020, 06:50:29 PM
Great recordings, especially from the Telefunken era. I have too much of it already for the set to make sense.

Also really like their Teldec recordings, the later EMI not so much...

Q

Mookalafalas

It's all good...

Brian

Teodor Currentzis and MusicAeterna will be giving their special treatment to Beethoven's Fifth in a new CD in March. No coupling, just the one symphony.

mc ukrneal

Quote from: Brian on February 19, 2020, 06:42:47 AM
Teodor Currentzis and MusicAeterna will be giving their special treatment to Beethoven's Fifth in a new CD in March. No coupling, just the one symphony.
No coupling? My longest version is 36 minutes, with four of them at 32 minutes (out of 6-7 versions I have). That's either going to be one long interpretation or one really short disc.
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Maestro267

Quote from: mc ukrneal on February 19, 2020, 06:56:57 AM
No coupling? My longest version is 36 minutes, with four of them at 32 minutes (out of 6-7 versions I have). That's either going to be one long interpretation or one really short disc.

I'd put my money on the latter, based on his trend. Sub-30 minutes, cos everyone'll get bored and everyone's attention spans have dropped. They're not really helping in the battle to keep physical formats alive when it's needed the most.

steve ridgway

Quote from: Maestro267 on February 19, 2020, 07:02:56 AM
I'd put my money on the latter, based on his trend. Sub-30 minutes, cos everyone'll get bored and everyone's attention spans have dropped. They're not really helping in the battle to keep physical formats alive when it's needed the most.

Maybe they'll fill the disc up with remixes ;).