New Releases

Started by Brian, March 12, 2009, 12:26:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Que

Quote from: Mandryka on April 06, 2020, 12:05:59 AM

Johannes de Clèves (?1529-1582).

Oh wow,  exciting!  :)

A motet by German born Johannes Cleeff aka Johannes de Cleve is included in volume I of the Leiden Choirbooks, and another motet and a tenor Lied on the recording Renaissance am Rhein by Singer Pur.

I'm up for the new Cinquecento recording!

Q

Harry

Quote from: Que on April 06, 2020, 01:41:21 AM

A motet by German born Johannes Cleeff aka Johannes de Cleve is included in volume I of the Leiden Choirbooks, and another motet and a tenor Lied on the recording Renaissance am Rhein by Singer Pur.

Q

Me too, most definitively!
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Mandryka

Quote from: Que on April 06, 2020, 01:41:21 AM

Q

Ah thanks, I hadn't identified Cleeff and Cleve! I  like the Egidus Kwartet's Peccata mea / Quoniam iniquitatem
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Mandryka

On the 1715 Harraß, details here

http://www.ammer-cembalo.de/1715.html

The interpretation seems energetic and even motoric more than expressive and profound. She says

QuoteThis Harraß copy was particularly inspiring as an instrument on which to play the second volume of this monumental collection displaying an encyclopedic range of the national styles, genres, and writing of the time. The richness and variety of this series, unparalleled in content, prompted me to exploit more fully the opportunities for combinations of timbre, to change register more often, and in some cases to adopt an organ-like manner of performing.

which led me to expect something more fresh and imaginative than I'm hearing . . . not that what she's doing isn't perfectly OK . . .

Kontrapunctus

This new release comes out April 16th. It's nice to see that DG chose an actual work of art for the cover rather than Yuja in some ridiculously skimpy outfit! Sort of a throwback to their more artistic covers from several decades ago.

JBS

PIAS's newsletter for this week announces the release of the third volume of Benjamin Alard's Bach traversal, and the final volume of Cuarteto Casals's Beethoven cycle.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Brian

I do love that cover for the John Adams album. DG does persist in using a typeface which pairs very poorly with their rather baroque banner. Bring back serifs!

And speaking of what made the old covers even better... going through my newly arrived Big Box of Boston Symphony DG albums I'm struck by how many have gorgeous artwork...and how many have original artwork. I think the "4D" series in the early 90s still had original art on many covers.

pjme

André

Nice album! Quite a must for anyone interested in Ysaÿe.

It contains works composed by him, but also many dedicated to or first performed by him: the Debussy quartet, Franck and Lekeu sonatas for violin and piano, Chausson's Poème for violin and orchestra and his huge Concert for violin, piano and string quartet. No Solo violin sonatas, but then there are two or three dozen versions to choose from.

Mandryka

Mandryka

Quote from: Mandryka on April 06, 2020, 12:33:20 AM

This is very evocative of high quality domestic music making - the music is charming, polyphonic and relatively simple (eg strophic songs.)

Madiel

Quote from: André on April 07, 2020, 07:06:25 AM
Nice album! Quite a must for anyone interested in Ysaÿe.

It contains works composed by him, but also many dedicated to or first performed by him: the Debussy quartet, Franck and Lekeu sonatas for violin and piano, Chausson's Poème for violin and orchestra and his huge Concert for violin, piano and string quartet. No Solo violin sonatas, but then there are two or three dozen versions to choose from.

Isn't it nice when people make album programming decisions that are a little different but which make sense?
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

pjme

Allow me to highlight a few (more or less) recent productions.

Eugène Ysaÿe: Sonate in a voor viool solo op.27 nr.2; Sofia Gubaidulina: Chaconne; Ruben De Gheselle: Wildlands; Sergej Prokofjev: Sonate nr.1 in f voor viool en piano op.80.

(I didn't know that Tintin played the violin and got a girlfriend... :))

Claude Debussy: Première Rhapsodie voor klarinet en orkest; Manfred Trojahn: Rhapsodie voor klarinet en orkest (2002 - wereldpremière op cd); Gabriel Pierné: Canzonetta op.19 (arr.Jelle Tassyns); Johannes Brahms: Sonate in f voor klarinet en piano op.120 nr.1 (arr.Luciano Berio); Charles-Marie Widor: Introduction et Rondo op.72 (arr.Jelle Tassyns).

Charles Koechlin: 14 Pièces; Ervin Schulhoff: Sonate; Arno Babadjanian: Vagharshapat dance & Impromptu; Fikret Amirov: 6 Pièces; Bela Bartok: Suite paysanne hongroise.

vers la flamme

This came out the other day. Has anyone heard it?

André

Quote from: Madiel on April 08, 2020, 12:18:07 AM
Isn't it nice when people make album programming decisions that are a little different but which make sense?

Indeed!

This other album (4 cds) brings together violin sonatas dedicated to Ysaÿe. A mini who's who of french composers from the late 19th to early 20th century:

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Mandryka on April 06, 2020, 12:02:50 AM

Do you suppose this is a re-release of this one?  Or has he done it over?  This is quite an excellent disk, well worth some higher circulation:

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Mandryka

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on April 08, 2020, 07:35:22 AM
Do you suppose this is a re-release of this one?  Or has he done it over?  This is quite an excellent disk, well worth some higher circulation:

8)

No, it's not the same. Very different.  We can have lots of fun doing a "compare and contrast."

Mandryka

Quote from: vers la flamme on April 08, 2020, 04:48:23 AM

This came out the other day. Has anyone heard it?

No, I haven't. I nearly did, they gave a concert with it in London last year, and I wanted to go but didn't make it.

I know the violinist from his recording (rather good) of music by Finnissy; and the pianist has already recorded For John Cage with an unnamed member of The Smith Quartet. In fact I never listen to it, if I want to hear this music I tend to prefer the extraordinary tone of Paul Zukofsky with Marianne Schroeder. I can imagine that Darragh Morgan's sound (tense) will suit John Tilbury's style (tense.)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Mandryka on April 08, 2020, 08:00:10 AM
No, it's not the same. Very different.  We can have lots of fun doing a "compare and contrast."

Interesting. I shall have to get the new one then shan't I?  :)

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)