New Releases

Started by Brian, March 12, 2009, 12:26:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian

Quote from: Todd on May 21, 2020, 05:49:38 AM
Didn't catch this the first time around.  Nicholas Rimmer is a very fine pianist; if he's good enough for Nils Monkemeyer, he's good enough for me.  I think I shall obtain this recording.
Rimmer has made a couple previous appearances for Naxos accompanying cellist Gabriel Schwabe in Brahms and Schumann, and violinist Tianwa Yang in Wolfgang Rihm, which is a good example of two artists I like recording repertoire I'll never want to hear them playing.

-

Already starting to see JULY RELEASES announced...

with the original finale to No. 2 and played on two Conrad Graf pianos from 1818 and "1832/24" (??) + a Franz Bayer piano c. 1825

Brian

oops, almost forgot the rather silly crossover album "Mozart Mambo" featuring Mozart horn concertos played in Cuba...plus mambos on Mozart themes?!

kyjo

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on April 19, 2020, 06:42:55 PM
In June:

Very interesting! While tonal, both concerti are very much 20th-century in their language. All of Hyperion's previous releases in this series have (to my knowledge) contained concerti that are unquestionably "Romantic" in idiom, so this is a bit of a departure for them. The Bliss is a big-boned, exciting work and the Rubbra is much more introverted, even austere at times, but has moments of great originality and color. A new recording of the latter is particularly welcome!
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

JBS

Stockholm Syndrome Ensemble?!

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Todd

Their Beethoven is so good, I may have to bite.

Who has not always secretly pined for eleven discs of Carl Orff in one box?
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Roy Bland

Perhaps a new mastering has improved scarce sound quality of Decca edition

Mirror Image

Quote from: Roy Bland on May 22, 2020, 05:19:23 PM

Very nice. I rather enjoy this symphony.

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: kyjo on May 21, 2020, 07:27:00 PM
Very interesting! While tonal, both concerti are very much 20th-century in their language. All of Hyperion's previous releases in this series have (to my knowledge) contained concerti that are unquestionably "Romantic" in idiom, so this is a bit of a departure for them. The Bliss is a big-boned, exciting work and the Rubbra is much more introverted, even austere at times, but has moments of great originality and color. A new recording of the latter is particularly welcome!

I couldn't agree more with you, Kyle. Both concertos are splendid in their own terms.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

vandermolen

Quote from: kyjo on May 21, 2020, 07:27:00 PM
+2
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Quote from: Roy Bland on May 22, 2020, 05:19:23 PM

Is this a new re-issue Japanese release?

Roy Bland

No it is
https://www.highdeftapetransfers.com/products/khachaturian-symphony-no-2-the-bell-aram-khachaturian-vpo
Poor Decca sound quality (the sound lacks depth and clarity. the first movement was bombastic and the sound of the strings shrills) IMHO should be significantly improved.

vandermolen

Quote from: Roy Bland on May 25, 2020, 07:14:20 PM
No it is
https://www.highdeftapetransfers.com/products/khachaturian-symphony-no-2-the-bell-aram-khachaturian-vpo
Poor Decca sound quality (the sound lacks depth and clarity. the first movement was bombastic and the sound of the strings shrills) IMHO should be significantly improved.
OK thanks. I'll probably just stick with my Decca CD release. If I want to listen to a better recording I have Jarvi's fine Chandos CD:

aukhawk

1962 - plumb in the middle of the Solti Ring project - same orchestra, same venue - surprising they didn't do better.

Maestro267

I find there's a real Soviet intensity to that Khachaturian 2 recording. I have it on a Decca 2-fer, and while I see its flaws, I don't find it that unlistenable.

vandermolen

Quote from: Maestro267 on May 26, 2020, 04:09:01 AM
I find there's a real Soviet intensity to that Khachaturian 2 recording. I have it on a Decca 2-fer, and while I see its flaws, I don't find it that unlistenable.
Me too - just been playing it.

JBS

Don't remember these being posted before
[asin]B085K7PHGY[/asin]
The orchestra is named after Svetlanov. Info says this is the first recording to use the original opening of the Burlesque.
[asin]B085K9FQYT[/asin]
[asin]B085K6WGCY[/asin]
[asin]B085KR68F1[/asin]

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Madiel

Quote from: JBS on May 26, 2020, 07:49:36 PM
[asin]B085K7PHGY[/asin]
The orchestra is named after Svetlanov. Info says this is the first recording to use the original opening of the Burlesque.

And is there any basis for thinking Shostakovich still wanted the original opening of the Burlesque?

I've just read the notes on the Hyperion website. Frankly there are times when fetishizing a composer's first ideas is not good, and to me that includes when the piece was never heard that way because the composer made changes when working through the score with the first performer.

It's like insisting you want to read the version of a book an author came up with on their own before they ever discussed it with a colleague or editor. It's not actually how the modern artistic process works.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Brian

I listened to the sound clip and I think it's pretty awesome.

Brian

Also Ibragimova is currently (ie now!) recording Paganini's 24 caprices, the ideal project for a socially distant studio.